Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jun 21, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #10,231 of 11,345
Shure 550 and 750 comes to mind. Pics of them in the big Roundup thread.

Jun 22, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #10,234 of 11,345
The Mad Dog thread is flooded with people who love them. I don't see very many complaints in there. From what I read about them, it sounds like they may be too dark for me. I would definitely not consider my self modded T50rp to be dark. 
Quote:
what do you guys think about the mad dog mod?

Jun 22, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #10,235 of 11,345
The Mad Dog thread is flooded with people who love them. I don't see very many complaints in there. From what I read about them, it sounds like they may be too dark for me. I would definitely not consider my self modded T50rp to be dark. 

Yeah, they're definitely pretty dark compared to some of the mods out there. The treble still sparkles, but it's not forward in any way, shape, or form.

Jun 22, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #10,237 of 11,345
Not sure, I am using the same V-Moda cable and the Alpha pads on my self modded T50rp. After a few weeks of tweaking I got them sounding great, I actually like them more than my Q701, which I never thought I would. 
Quote:
from what I saw in the DIY kit for mad dog its just a difference in pads and cable no? what sound would the shure 840 pads have?

The sound of the 840 pads will have a lot to do with the other mods being done as well. Simply just swapping out the stock pads for the 840 pads though will increase bass quantity, and bass extension. It is a good place to start, but definitely play with other mods as well.

Jun 22, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #10,238 of 11,345
hey guys i am upgrading to the t50rp's and plan on modding i currently have a fiio e11 amp because thats all i needed to drive my old headphones. coming out of an ipod with an lod cable should this power them untill i can get a respectfull amp?

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #10,240 of 11,345
Quote:
do you know his mod process, like the materials i am debating on just doing the grodan rockwool and shure 840 pads. is it worth it to do the cotton, fiberglass, felt, ect.?

Right now I'm just running the rock wool. Not exactly sure what method most people are using but I made sure to get a decent layer or rock wool on top of paxmate pyramids covering the entire inner portion of the cup. I would say play around until you hit your desired sound.

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #10,241 of 11,345
Quote:
do you know his mod process, like the materials i am debating on just doing the grodan rockwool and shure 840 pads. is it worth it to do the cotton, fiberglass, felt, ect.?

Visit BMF's Incremental mod thread, then do an internal search on "BMF Rock Wool Mod - Improved".  
 ​
I think the rock wool mod is super easy to install and gives pretty terrific results out-of-the-box. But the best sounding T50RPs I have are DBV#3. Mind you, they were meticulously tuned by BMF to a degree that I would never have the patience or skill to achieve myself. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back