Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jul 21, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #8,881 of 11,345
Just finished the RastaPants 2 Version 1.2 modifications.
Also did some re-wiring with Mogami 2534 Gold. Soldered directly onto the solder pads at 500 degrees fahrenheit with 60/40 Rosin Core Solder.
Oh... and a new paint job :O

They sound incredible! :D

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #8,882 of 11,345
Quote:
Just finished the RastaPants 2 Version 1.2 modifications.
Also did some re-wiring with Mogami 2534 Gold. Soldered directly onto the solder pads at 500 degrees fahrenheit with 60/40 Rosin Core Solder.
Oh... and a new paint job :O

They sound incredible! :D

Wow! The paint looks really great!  How did you go about painting it?

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #8,883 of 11,345
Quote:

Wow! The paint looks really great!  How did you go about painting it?

Lots of patients! Ha, no but really... :p

First I took a torch and heated up a screwdriver. With the screwdriver I cut/ melted a hole around the old 3.5mm jack on the Left Cup.
I then took a file to the excess plastic around the newly made hole.

After I cleaned up the hole I put a piece of masking tape over it (Exterior of the Cup).
I pressed in on the masking tape so that the tape was recessed into the hole 2mm or so.

On the inside of the cup I filled the hole with 2 part JB Weld.
I let it set for an hour and removed the masking tape.
Picture of inside the cup (Hole Filled):

I then applied a layer of automotive bondo on top of the now 2mm recessed "hole".
Picture Below:

(Key to smooth finish): When sanding the bondo'ed hole, cut a small piece of wood 1" wide and 1" long and attach the sandpaper to the block of wood. Then cross sand the bondo with the block. This will remove and high spots in the bondo.

I used Lacquer Thinner and a Rag to remove the Fostex stickers.
I then sanded both cups with 150 grit sand paper.
Then I re-sanded them with 320 grit sand paper.

I then coated them both with Etchable Primer.
Picture Below:

I let the primer cure for 4 hours and then dry sanded them with 400 grit sand paper.

Then came the fun part, the base coat! 
I bought a can of White Valspar Lacquer Paint and a can of Clear Coat Valspar Lacquer.

With the primered cups all sanded and ready to paint I applied 3 coats of white paint.
Allowing 30-45 minutes set time between coats.
Picture Below:

Last but not least I applied the clear coat.
I applied 2 coats of clear coat, allowing 30 minutes of set time between coats.
The can says "30 minutes dry to touch" but I let the paint cure for 24 hours before re-assembling.

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #8,885 of 11,345
Quote:
@pwnm30rdi3

Let me know how the paint holds up. I'm very interested in doing this to my HD-25's.

I used Plasticine when modding the headphones, I made a huge mess all over the cups in the process.
I also got the sticky tar from the Dynamat all over the cups.

I simply just took a rag and 'GooGone' to the cups.
No scratches or micro scratches that my eyes can see. The paint seems very durable so far!

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #8,886 of 11,345
Awesome job there pwnm30rdi3!!
Though out of curiosity, how did you remove the hinged part from the cups? Seems you have it placed back after the paint job so you must know the non-destructive way to do it!

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #8,888 of 11,345
Quote:
Though out of curiosity, how did you remove the hinged part from the cups? Seems you have it placed back after the paint job so you must know the non-destructive way to do it!

I was stumped at first too, I didn't think it was possible.

I got curious though...

I just took an exacto-knife and gently cut along that little cover.
That little cover may look sturdy but is really about as thin as a piece of paper.
After you cut along that seem, the cover should pull right out.
Underneath the cover is a medium sized phillips head screw.

Indeed that is awesome. A white headband would complete the Imperial Stormtrooper look.

I've been contemplating a suspension band.
Maybe a white belt?

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #8,889 of 11,345
You mean the cover in the interior of the cup, right?
Not sure if that is considered destructive modding but I imagine as long as I don't destroy the cover I can glue it back somehow! Or replace it with something else.
Thanks!! who would have thought it was a thin layer...

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #8,890 of 11,345
Quote:
You mean the cover in the interior of the cup, right?
Not sure if that is considered destructive modding but I imagine as long as I don't destroy the cover I can glue it back somehow! Or replace it with something else.
Thanks!! who would have thought it was a thin layer...

Correct, on the interior towards the center of the cup.
I just glued mine back in with a tiny amount of rubber cement.

As long as you aren't trying to destroy the poor plastic cover, I doubt anyone would be able to tell that you've ever had it apart. Haha!

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #8,891 of 11,345
Quote:

Go to:

Head-fi WIKI > T50RP Modification Summary Links > Scroll down to General Articles

How to open and re-assemble while trying out different mods; How to remove and re-assemble the headband hanger
http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/2640#post_7768186
Scroll down to "How to Open and Re-Assemble Fostex T50RP Headphones[size=11.818181991577148px]"[/size]

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #8,893 of 11,345
Quote:
Where can I find the "Unobtanium" Rite Aid Natural Absorbent Cotton? I cannot find it on Amazon. Alternatively, can I use make-up remover cotton balls?

I'm searching Rite Aid Pharmacy stores in my area. 

nick n and micmacmo sent me some Absorbent Cotton from London Drugs. It comes in a 1 lb. package. It's in a sheet approximately 25 mm thick and its similar to Rite Aid Natural Absorbent Cotton. In terms of its "fluffy factor" it's not as fluffy as Rite Aid Natural Absorbent Cotton but much more so than the current Rite Aid replacement labeled "First Aid Rolled Cotton" that has not worked for me.

I have not yet tried the London Drugs cotton but it's on my "to do" list.

Cotton balls, once pulled apart, may work.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #8,894 of 11,345
Quote:

I'm searching Rite Aid Pharmacy stores in my area. 

nick n and micmacmo sent me some Absorbent Cotton from London Drugs. It comes in a 1 lb. package. It's in a sheet approximately 25 mm thick and its similar to Rite Aid Natural Absorbent Cotton. In terms of its "fluffy factor" it's not as fluffy as Rite Aid Natural Absorbent Cotton but much more so than the current Rite Aid replacement labeled "First Aid Rolled Cotton" that has not worked for me.

I have not yet tried the London Drugs cotton but it's on my "to do" list.

Cotton balls, once pulled apart, may work.

Thanks for the info. I will try to make even layers of cotton balls, since I can have a huge bag for 2$.

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #8,895 of 11,345
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I will try to make even layers of cotton balls, since I can have a huge bag for 2$.

Good Idea!
A friend of mine went to 5-6 stores and couldn't find anything close to Rite Aid Natural Absorbant Cotton, he too just settled with teased cotton balls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back