Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
May 21, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #8,326 of 11,345
With all this modding, I'm surprised no one's built an amp into the cups yet...

May 21, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #8,327 of 11,345
Quote:
With all this modding, I'm surprised no one's built an amp into the cups yet...

Back to the days with those uber heavy headphones?
biggrin.gif

Why not make the amp clip-on? I always thought the V-MODA shields can be... fattened into such devices. Not pleasing to the eyes but since when was that our first concern!

May 21, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #8,328 of 11,345
Is there maybe enough room to stick a 9v in those cups? build ourselves a little cmoy or shove an e6 into there or something. 

May 21, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #8,329 of 11,345
Hey guys I'm new into the world of high quality headphones, I own an over ear sony xd100 (horrible headphone, CePt for gaming) an audionic ah-220 (great headphone)
The sonys I bought for 20 bucks, and the audionics for 20 bucks, I love music, music is my life
I can pay top dollar for it. I wanted to buy audiophile headphones cause I heard they sound amazing. Here's the list I had
Audio technica ath-m50
Sennheisser hd 280 pro
V moda cross fade lp
Fanny Wang 1000 on ear
I want to the Sam ash music store with so much excitement thinking how I had been a fool for listening to music on some cheap headphoneS.... They only had one of headphones i listed and some other ones like shure,beyerdynamic...... I plugged the hd 280 pro into my psp, loaded up
A 320 bitrate 44.001 sampled mp3 and it sounded worse tha. My 20 dollar audionic ah220..
(which I bought in china for 3 bucks) Iam really sad... I want to join you fellow audiophiles.. But I was dissapointed... But!!! I have a really strong feeling telling me those weren't burned in or I did something wrong ( my audionics sounded like crap when I first put them on, after 20-30 hours of burn in they sounded completely different.. Can anyone help?? I be willing to pay a 1000 dollars+ for headphones THAT actually sound amazing...

May 21, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #8,330 of 11,345
Quote:
Is there maybe enough room to stick a 9v in those cups? build ourselves a little cmoy or shove an e6 into there or something. 

Wish it were that big. A 9V battery is too thick, and too wide to fit in the side 'slots'. Two AAA batteries may fit, though that is at most 3V.

Quote:
Hey guys I'm new into the world of high quality headphones, I own an over ear sony xd100 (horrible headphone, CePt for gaming) an audionic ah-220 (great headphone)
The sonys I bought for 20 bucks, and the audionics for 20 bucks, I love music, music is my life
I can pay top dollar for it. I wanted to buy audiophile headphones cause I heard they sound amazing. Here's the list I had
Audio technica ath-m50
Sennheisser hd 280 pro
V moda cross fade lp
Fanny Wang 1000 on ear
I want to the Sam ash music store with so much excitement thinking how I had been a fool for listening to music on some cheap headphoneS.... They only had one of headphones i listed and some other ones like shure,beyerdynamic...... I plugged the hd 280 pro into my psp, loaded up
A 320 bitrate 44.001 sampled mp3 and it sounded worse tha. My 20 dollar audionic ah220..
(which I bought in china for 3 bucks) Iam really sad... I want to join you fellow audiophiles.. But I was dissapointed... But!!! I have a really strong feeling telling me those weren't burned in or I did something wrong ( my audionics sounded like crap when I first put them on, after 20-30 hours of burn in they sounded completely different.. Can anyone help?? I be willing to pay a 1000 dollars+ for headphones THAT actually sound amazing...

Many of those listed there are bass-heavy headphones; is that what you are looking into? The general Headphone section of the forum may have more hits but otherwise since you're posting here, the Fostex T50RP is a good start into something different... also DIY! but for convenience's purpose, these will not serve as bass-head headphones.

An update to my latest mod: stuffed some cotton in between the junk parts. Wish the cups were larger!

If you understand what's going in, you can probably also guess that I cannot get identical/symmetrical/equal implementations on both cups. Maybe if I get better at cutting wood... but wood isn't even across its +section either. Tried to make a somewhat random facing and this is my nicer cup. Last time I closed these on the R cup, which is all crooked and deserve a picture inexposure.
Now here's a question that would like a few pairs of pennies: In order to mass damp the cups at the same time as sticking the 'diffusers' on I literally pressed the wood against the plasticine. It does not hold well, as expected; what would you use instead that is semi-workable (non-fixed such as glue)? I have blue tack by me, just thought plasticine would be denser.
Where are my manners? thanks!

May 21, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #8,331 of 11,345
Quote:

All of a sudden I'm craving steamy miso soup with tofu chunks. Think I'll use 2 laquered black untensils too.Except for those 4 flies there. I just lost my appetite.

That's a difficult thing for that. I was originally going to suggest stuffing it with a very lightweight cotton and gradually layering it then blanketing the wood chunks randomly as you go . This way they won't settle out if it's pressed enough, but that'll obviously introduce another variable with damping.  That's about all I can come up with at the moment but I will think on it some more. Hard call there.

What about gluing them to a layer of filler material that can be crumpled around a bit to give varying heights.

if you drilled  small holes in each face of them that may help hold to some putty or whatever you used better. The unused holes would also create more damping of sorts possibly by increasing surface areas.

Can you try to find some wood shavings ( not sawdust ) from a carver/hand planer or woodshop maybe?
You could most likely shake out the smaller bits and dust.  then you could have random wood filler that's randomly shaped, also possibly thick stuff and very thin stuff, and even break it down further if needed. Lots of surface area  too.
Best of all it would most likely be free, precut and available in huge amounts. If you can find it.

May 21, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #8,332 of 11,345
Quote:

If you understand what's going in, you can probably also guess that I cannot get identical/symmetrical/equal implementations on both cups. Maybe if I get better at cutting wood... but wood isn't even across its +section either. Tried to make a somewhat random facing and this is my nicer cup. Last time I closed these on the R cup, which is all crooked and deserve a picture inexposure.
Now here's a question that would like a few pairs of pennies: In order to mass damp the cups at the same time as sticking the 'diffusers' on I literally pressed the wood against the plasticine. It does not hold well, as expected; what would you use instead that is semi-workable (non-fixed such as glue)? I have blue tack by me, just thought plasticine would be denser.

All of a sudden I'm craving steamy miso soup with tofu chunks. Think I'll use 2 laquered black untensils too.Except for those 4 flies there. I just lost my appetite.

That's a difficult thing for that. I was originally going to suggest stuffing it with a very lightweight cotton and gradually layering it then blanketing the wood chunks randomly as you go . This way they won't settle out if it's pressed enough, but that'll obviously introduce another variable with damping.  That's about all I can come up with at the moment but I will think on it some more. Hard call there.

What about gluing them to a layer of filler material that can be crumpled around a bit to give varying heights.

if you drilled  small holes in each face of them that may help hold to some putty or whatever you used better. The unused holes would also create more damping of sorts possibly by increasing surface areas.

Can you try to find some wood shavings ( not sawdust ) from a carver/hand planer or woodshop maybe?
You could most likely shake out the smaller bits and dust.  then you could have random wood filler that's randomly shaped and even break it down further if needed. Best of all it would most likely be free, precut and available in huge amounts. If you can find it.

How would the wood cube/wood filing affect the sound? I'm curious since summer holidays are approaching, I might just go srz/crazy on modding.

May 21, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #8,333 of 11,345
Quote:

I cannot get identical/symmetrical/equal implementations on both cups. .

To get equal mass on both cups get a digital jewelers scale or mini scale or digital pocket balance.
You'll be able to weight your materials down to .0000 OZ.

for sticking the wood cubes you could try sticky tack.

As for symmetry. I would not worry about it - random is good - Just make sure you have equal mass on both cups.

My 2 pennies.

May 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #8,334 of 11,345
Just like to share that I have received my SECOND HM5 earpad from mp4nation and installed it on the T50rp no problem. I stretched the lip all around and used the same technique that consist of flipping the lip back. They are very comfy and I can notice an improvement with the Bass over the Shure 840 pads without affecting the mid or treble to much. Like them a lot.

I'm now waiting for my Hirose connector to try them balanced on my iBosss Pb1

May 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #8,335 of 11,345
Quote:

Now, were talking. 
tongue_smile.gif
  My "mega" order from Markertek should be arriving today.  25' of Mogami "Gold" Neglex, 3 pair of 4-pin XLR connectors a few TSR connectors from Neutrik and 8' of black shrink tube.  I'm going to change my T50RPs over to balanced connectors, too, so I can run them bad boys off of the speaker taps on my amp.  The regular headphone "out" jack just ... well ... plain stinks. 
wink.gif

May 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #8,337 of 11,345
Quote:
Just like to share that I have received my SECOND HM5 earpad from mp4nation and installed it on the T50rp no problem. I stretched the lip all around and used the same technique that consist of flipping the lip back. They are very comfy and I can notice an improvement with the Bass over the Shure 840 pads without affecting the mid or treble to much. Like them a lot.

Some have claimed they sound better if they're not stretched onto the headphone but rather placed on top of the baffle with a good seal. Have you tried experimenting with this?

But, yes, I have found that the replacement HM5 pads, though slightly different from the ones that came with my HM5, sound better overall than the 840 pads.

May 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #8,338 of 11,345
Quote:
Dang, I wish I were as skilled as some of you. I'm stuck with a stock pair.

It doesn't really take any skills whatsoever.  Can you use a screwdriver?  That's about all it takes.  All that's happening in this thread is people are opening them up and jamming stuff inside and then seeing how they sound. 

May 21, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #8,339 of 11,345
Quote:

It doesn't really take any skills whatsoever.  Can you use a screwdriver?  That's about all it takes.  All that's happening in this thread is people are opening them up and jamming stuff inside and then seeing how they sound. 

Oh, I see! Guess this can be my first adventure in actually attempting to mod a headphone. And for that, I guess there is nothing better than the T50RP.

May 21, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #8,340 of 11,345
Just putting stuff in the cups isn't going to get you the best results right away.  That takes a lot of time, dedication, and practice listening.  But the act of modding itself isn't, so you shouldn't be scared to try.  You don't need soldering skills, or any special equipment other than the materials themselves. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back