Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #7,711 of 11,345

Quote:
So I finally got my T50RP from a fellow Head-Fier. But I'm a little bit concerned that I am not amping it enough. I only have a Fiio E10 (unfortunately?). Going by my very early impressions, the highs and mids are kinda veiled; although the mids are more prominent than the highs, they are still veiled; and the bass is sort of there. Is this what it sounds like stock?

That is why nobody here leaves them stock.  
beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 17, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #7,715 of 11,345

Quote:
What do you mean ruined the sound? What affects did it have compared to stock or 840? Did you try modding them to suit the FA-003s?

Sucked all the bass out, like the Sony 5000 pads did.  The Fischer pads are very nice, but stretching them so much messed up their geometry that works so well with the phone as-is.  I think it simply created too much volume inside the pad.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #7,716 of 11,345
You haven't heard them, have you? You're the first person I've seen comment on HE-300 pads and it'd be great to see a comparison between those and the FA-003's

No, I haven't heard the Fischer pads, but I can say the HiFiman leather pads are rather similar to the 840s, just slightly tighter bass and a little more open in the mids. The largest difference is comfort and seal, and they fit the T50RPs perfectly, as if they were made for them.

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #7,717 of 11,345

Quote:
Angled FA-003 Pad Baffles:
1. BMF
2. BMF
3. BMF
4. CYoung234
5. Geetarman49
6. Cortlendt

*** I will update these two lists so people can see how close we are to 20 here ***

** I will release a final cost later too so this list doesn't bind you to anything yet ***

Any update on this? I have not seen anything in terms of cost, etc.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #7,718 of 11,345

Quote:
No, I haven't heard the Fischer pads, but I can say the HiFiman leather pads are rather similar to the 840s, just slightly tighter bass and a little more open in the mids. The largest difference is comfort and seal, and they fit the T50RPs perfectly, as if they were made for them.

So, the HE-300 pads are different than the HE-400 pads?  The HE-400 pads have an underlying black plastic frame with 4 tabs that insert into a circular area of the cup.  I suspect maybe all of the pleather pads from HifiMAN are the same, but they "roll" onto the plastic frame?  Unfortunately, my HE-400s are with HifiMAN at the moment, so I can't test out my thoughts to prove if they're correct or not.

I do see the pleather pads on Head-Direct for $20, but they don't specify for which headphone, so I'm assuming this could be for all of their models and used universally.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #7,720 of 11,345
So, the HE-300 pads are different than the HE-400 pads?  The HE-400 pads have an underlying black plastic frame with 4 tabs that insert into a circular area of the cup.  I suspect maybe all of the pleather pads from HifiMAN are the same, but they "roll" onto the plastic frame?  Unfortunately, my HE-400s are with HifiMAN at the moment, so I can't test out my thoughts to prove if they're correct or not.

I do see the pleather pads on Head-Direct for $20, but they don't specify for which headphone, so I'm assuming this could be for all of their models and used universally.

That's them, they're the same leather/pleather pads for all models. You take them off the black plastic frame and stretch them on. They're about as tough to put on as the 840s, which is not very.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #7,721 of 11,345

Quote:
Sucked all the bass out, like the Sony 5000 pads did.  The Fischer pads are very nice, but stretching them so much messed up their geometry that works so well with the phone as-is.  I think it simply created too much volume inside the pad.

Thanks. Will spare me the struggle to try getting them on again....

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #7,722 of 11,345
The HE-400 pads have an underlying black plastic frame with 4 tabs that insert into a circular area of the cup.  I suspect maybe all of the pleather pads from HifiMAN are the same, but they "roll" onto the plastic frame?  

Some pics:

They look great, IMO.

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #7,723 of 11,345
I have tried the Hifiman earpads on my T50rp (See post here) but my result was not positive like your. Like I said I didn't changed my headphone configuration just removed the Shure pads and installed the Hifiman. One thing is they do fit really well.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #7,725 of 11,345
As a side note, I put stock T50 pads on my AKG 271 and like them a lot. Brought some lows in AKG which was welcomed :wink:
They fit nicely, even though original AKG pads were circular and T50 are oval.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back