Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 17, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #7,726 of 11,345
Has anyone tried the HIfi-man velour pads, I need something that has less bass and more mids than the Shure SRH840 pads. Also, how do they fit?

Yes, I tried them, they completely wiped out all bass on my configuration but they did boost the mids and highs.

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #7,728 of 11,345
I've mounted and removed the 003 pads a few dozen times. While they will certainly need to be repaired shortly, I've had good success gently stretching them by hand before I start trying to mount them. I then evert them, just like folks do for the 840 pads, and pull them over the cups, starting at the top of the cup and working down, leaving a bottom "corner" until last. From there, I work to stretch the pad by pushing on the flap from the inside of the hole, not pulling it from the outside. In the picture below, you can see that my right hand is working through the pad hole, while my left hand holds the rest of the pad in place.

All of my tears are along the top, bottom and sides of the pads and that's why I suggest leaving one of the corners until last. These areas seem to be able to withstand the stretching the best. But eventually, something will give and you'll probably get a nick which will turn into a tear. YMMV.

In my case, I really needed the 003 pads to get a good seal and a correspondingly good dose of bass. Until I started using them, I tried stock, 840 and JVC RX900 pads and really couldn't understand what all the "massive sub-bass" talk was all about. Now I get it completely. 

EDIT: warming the pads may help stretch them and ease them onto the cups. But I'm not sure if it really helps much or just makes the pads more susceptible to nicks. Again, YMMV. Like I said, I've mounted them several times, but despite ongoing care, I'll still need to repair them. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #7,729 of 11,345

Quote:
As a side note, I put stock T50 pads on my AKG 271 and like them a lot. Brought some lows in AKG which was welcomed :wink:
They fit nicely, even though original AKG pads were circular and T50 are oval.

I did the same for my AKG K240m's (same size and shape I think). I also liked what it did for the sound.

Then I ordered another pair of the SHure 840 pads. Didn't do as much for the bass, but still better than the stock pads and far more comfy. Pretty much a perfect fit whereas the the Fostex pads were a tad loose.

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #7,730 of 11,345
I tried Shure pads (whcih I have on T50 now) and they did not seal as well as T50 pads. I use 271s in the office and require 100% sound isolation.

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #7,732 of 11,345
How much did the bass decrease in db? Also, how was the sound quality compared to the T50rp's, thanks!

Probably a loss of at least 10dB, I didn't leave them on long enough to discern much of a quality difference.

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #7,733 of 11,345
What are some mods I can do to improve the bass? I've got sound deadener and foam lining the cups and mass loaded baffles with plasticine, stock bass felt is untouched, and uncovered by anything.

Cover 3/4 of the bass vents, on the outside of the cup, with electrical tape.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #7,734 of 11,345
Quick update for you guys. Its been a while as i've been waiting for funds to pile up and the summer to begin before modding the t50rp farther than mksuen already did. I just got the sennheiser hd580 headband in the mail from BHPhotoandVideo so now my t50RP sits on my head in such a way that it looks nice and the cups can fold and properly cup my ears. As far as comfort goes, I wouldnt mind a bit more clamping force but its nice where it is right now.

I plan on using the sock mod with SRH-840 earpads during the course of modifications henceforth to save the delicate srh-840 material from stretching in an unseemly fashion.

I'll first be trying between stock pads, srh-840 pads, and then sock mod with both. Hopefully the sound remains the same more or less.

I also have to mod the cable by taking off the enamel and putting on the radioshack 3.5mm connector I bought. This retermination makes it easier for me to manage rather than buying random adapters and stuff. I have no quarter inch materials so it doesnt make sense to use a quarter inch jack.

After I have established that srh-840+sock doesnt do what i am looking for, i'll start messing with mksuen's mods like taking out the big foam blocks to see what that does. I MIGHT try taking out his mass loading and putting in my own thicker denser materials. I may also experiment with some cotton material, either loose or compressed, to see if I can bring out sub bass to a level that matches the mids.

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #7,735 of 11,345

Quote:
No, I haven't heard the Fischer pads, but I can say the HiFiman leather pads are rather similar to the 840s, just slightly tighter bass and a little more open in the mids. The largest difference is comfort and seal, and they fit the T50RPs perfectly, as if they were made for them.

I tried my spare set of Hifiman leather's on my T50RP based on your post and I agree, they do look, fit,  and feel really nice! Comfort is a bit better than 840 pads with more ear room for me. They do literally fit like they were made for these :D. I haven't had time (or felt like rather) to compare the sonic differences, but nothing seemed to immediately stick out in a good or bad way to me. I'll do some side by side comparisons some day... maybe. I have HM5 pads on the way now too, we'll see how those fare against them.

I got this extra set of pads with my HE400 preorder and they were sitting in the box since I got them haha. Thanks for the suggestion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back