Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 15, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #7,681 of 11,345

Quote:
Can you post more detail pictures of the fabric?

The material is 80% polyester and 20% polyamide. I bought it at a discount store and it is plusher than similar cloths I've seen elsewhere.

To give you a better impression of the pile, I squeezed a single thickness of cloth between two wood blocks with only the leading edge visible and uncompressed. 

And here's a top-down view. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #7,682 of 11,345
I know I've asked this question way too many time before, but I've tried everything, emphasizing EVERYTHING! But the Mids are still recessed, eq helps a little, but on some songs I have to struggle to hear, around the the 1k-2k region. making it a struggle to hear out vocals. What's the point of liquid smooth mids if they're recessed?

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #7,683 of 11,345

Quote:
I know I've asked this question way too many time before, but I've tried everything, emphasizing EVERYTHING! But the Mids are still recessed, eq helps a little, but on some songs I have to struggle to hear, around the the 1k-2k region. making it a struggle to hear out vocals. What's the point of liquid smooth mids if they're recessed?

With due respect, it would help to answer this question if you talked about what our actual configuration as of now is...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #7,684 of 11,345
overdamped?  Not sure what you have going on inside those but that would be my guess.

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #7,685 of 11,345

Quote:
Maybe it's just my hearing and that I'm not an audiophile, but I don't know. I'm really considering selling my O2 and putting the money towards something that will improve my sound more.

FWIW, I have an O2 and I hardly ever use it.  At the risk of starting a flame war (I've learned to keep my opinion of the O2 to myself...usually), the O2 just doesn't do anything for me. And that's with all my cans including the t50rp's. Just too neutral for me.

I was raised in the midst of vinyl and FM. I love dynamics and detail. But I also love my fuzzy warmth and lushness. Call it coloration if you want. I'll just keep calling it character. I much prefer my Matrix M-stage with the T50's ( of any of my cans for that matter).

Now on the other hand I also have a nice little 6BQ5 tube headamp and the Fostex don't do to well on it. However, plug in my HD600's or K240m's and I will sink into a great big ol' thick syrupy pillow of rock-n-roll!

-Dogwan

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #7,686 of 11,345

Quote:
I was raised in the midst of vinyl and FM. I love dynamics and detail. But I also love my fuzzy warmth and lushness. Call it coloration if you want. I'll just keep calling it character. I much prefer my Matrix M-stage with the T50's ( of any of my cans for that matter).

I'm with you there when it comes to character that gets applied to sound.  One of the favorite options on my retro styled new Yamaha receiver and integrated amplifier is the variable loudness control. One can simply adjust the dial a little bit one way or the other, depending on their listening moods or desires.  I was quite excited when I realized I could have some of the controls of the receivers from the 1970s in a newer, reliable unit with less distortion and I was fully on-board.

Plus, in 2012, paying the same for a new receiver or integrated amplifier that the cost would have been in the 1970s ~ $350.00, or so, was where it's at for me.

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #7,687 of 11,345
I've been neglecting my T50s lately, been re-exploring my music collection with the STAX, which has been great fun. Thing is, as soon as I plugged in the RPs and cranked up some Eagles, I was smiling again. Even coming from the O2s these still sound very good and have such a smooth euphonic tone. They really do belt it out with the Cary amp, too. With flagship, and ex-flagship, cans here these things still hold their own, in their own way. I can't believe how much I've missed these. :)

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #7,688 of 11,345
I restored m t50rp to stock to compare with my friend's stock t50rp. The different is only my pairs have ear side dust cover removed. It sound quite similar but i think my friend's have have smoother sound. Mine seem to have better treble extension but upper mid sound harsh. Then i paxmate and put cotton in mine (reversible pants), it now have more linear sound, better extension but mid is thinner, nowhere as good as stock :frowning2:

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #7,689 of 11,345

Quote:
I restored m t50rp to stock to compare with my friend's stock t50rp. The different is only my pairs have ear side dust cover removed. It sound quite similar but i think my friend's have have smoother sound. Mine seem to have better treble extension but upper mid sound harsh. Then i paxmate and put cotton in mine (reversible pants), it now have more linear sound, better extension but mid is thinner, nowhere as good as stock :frowning2:

Sounds like you are on to something.

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #7,690 of 11,345
The Fostex T50RP is a fairly interesting headphone. I picked up a set a few days ago. In stock form they sound very good at the price point of under $100. They are probably one of the best sounding headphones under $300 I have heard. I am sure they can sound a lot better with some basic mods but I doubt I will bother since I have LCD-2 I can always switch to.

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #7,691 of 11,345

It may be due to just the response curve..
Personally, the only things that changed sound signature in my mods were pads and bass lens. You made me recall that when I just did my mod, I had mediocre bass lens and stock pads. The sound was the same at the core, just without the congestion, bass was improved on all directions, and woman vocals did not sound nasal anymore. Actually there was a bit to much bass, due to lenses, sound was ultra 'lush' and 'warm'. After slapping oBeyer pads, mIDS and bass decreased and treble blossomed, no longer like stock. After foam lining pads, some mids came back.
Maybe I have to reduce in-pad volume, add a moderate bass lens and tighten-tame bass by some other means to bring in mIds.. Don't know, I'm not sure of the frequency balance of my phones, maybe they are already flat enough.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #7,693 of 11,345

Quote:
The Fostex T50RP is a fairly interesting headphone. I picked up a set a few days ago. In stock form they sound very good at the price point of under $100. They are probably one of the best sounding headphones under $300 I have heard. I am sure they can sound a lot better with some basic mods but I doubt I will bother since I have LCD-2 I can always switch to.

Then, I have to ask what is the purpose of owning to T50RP?  The fun begins when you start the modifications.  Changing the sound - hopefully, improving the sound is quite a bit of fun.  Sure, it's good to have a nice pair of "other" headphones to turn to which you'll never mod, because I have that option, too.  However, as a hobbyist, it's still good to work with and tweak the T50RP as you'll gain knowledge along the way.  

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #7,695 of 11,345
Quote:
BMF (thanks, man) just gave me the mods for BMF 8.1, almost done with the config, and they're sounding very nice.

Cool! I'd be interested in knowing what he's come up with lately. His measurements on Innerfidelity looked interesting (at least, I'm assuming it's him...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back