Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #7,696 of 11,345
Well, the new leather ear pads for my HE-300s were a complete bust and turned them into a muddy mess. However, they're brilliant on my T50s. :) More comfortable than the 840 pads, better seal, better soundstage, better everything.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #7,698 of 11,345

Quote:
I just don't have any reference. I do 'manual' sweeps, changing frequencies in SineGen by hand. Peaks and dips are obvious, but I may not discern a plateau from a not very steep roll-off. Though, I guess, they're more or less neutral currently.

Right, what we need is a young technical genius to create and record different sweeps with graphs that  we can link to and find out exactly where those peaks and dips are.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #7,699 of 11,345

Quote:
Right, what we need is a young technical genius to create and record different sweeps with graphs that  we can link to and find out exactly where those peaks and dips are.

As I'm doing it in SineGen, I know where they are because I do know which frequency is currently being generated. Actually, it's even possible to plot a responce that way by reducing volume to a minimum that can be heard at each frequency, and then compensating for equal loudness curve, the problem is the curve differs somewhat from person to person.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #7,700 of 11,345
May as well use a cheap microphone or SPL meter to get a general idea in white noise, no? While the readings will not be very accurate, peaks and troughs usually still are apparent. Just for the rough measurement aids.

I just use the stock iphone headset, shove the mic on one of my ears, mic side facing outwards, and put headphones on. You can expect the results to not be very accurate but a good general idea of the major flaws can be found. Since I don't have sinegen, I verify those peaks and troughs with tones generated on audacity and mostly are correct. If there's any smaller inline mic with decent quality, even better.

My problem with frequency sweep and pink noise is that I can hear the peaks but I don't know what frequency that is lol. I've yet to be trained in such hearing interpretation.

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #7,701 of 11,345

Quote:
May as well use a cheap microphone or SPL meter to get a general idea in white noise, no? While the readings will not be very accurate, peaks and troughs usually still are apparent. Just for the rough measurement aids.

I just use the stock iphone headset, shove the mic on one of my ears, mic side facing outwards, and put headphones on. You can expect the results to not be very accurate but a good general idea of the major flaws can be found. Since I don't have sinegen, I verify those peaks and troughs with tones generated on audacity and mostly are correct. If there's any smaller inline mic with decent quality, even better.

My problem with frequency sweep and pink noise is that I can hear the peaks but I don't know what frequency that is lol. I've yet to be trained in such hearing interpretation.

SineGen is a free program, just google it. Enough to find major flaws. For gentle slopes, especially at the extremes, you'd need more accurate measurement stuff.

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #7,703 of 11,345
What are some mods I can do to improve the bass? I've got sound deadener and foam lining the cups and mass loaded baffles with plasticine, stock bass felt is untouched, and uncovered by anything.

What are your pads?

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #7,705 of 11,345
You'll have lots of bass changes when you change pads, maybe mids too. I wouldn't spend lots of time on tuning it until you get those pads.

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #7,707 of 11,345

Quote:
BMF (thanks, man) just gave me the mods for BMF 8.1, almost done with the config, and they're sounding very nice.

Me too. BMF is very very nice.
Since I am new to modification, I am moving very slowly. Change a little bit and test for a few days.

For my ear, I can't notice the difference adding plasticine.
But adding acoustic foam and cotton into the cup well, the result is very effective. I found the sound quality is much better, though it seems I have too much treble, and not enough bass now. in progress...

Just ordered 840 pads, hope this will help with the bass.

The acoustic foams did not stick tight enough to the wall, gotta redo.

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #7,708 of 11,345
I have a set of FA002/003 pads, and for the life of me couldn't get them on. They seem quite a bit smaller around than the Shure 840 pads, which are worlds easier to install by comparison. I wish I could get them on, I'd like to hear the difference. May have to give it another try sometime soon. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #7,709 of 11,345
So I finally got my T50RP from a fellow Head-Fier. But I'm a little bit concerned that I am not amping it enough. I only have a Fiio E10 (unfortunately?). Going by my very early impressions, the highs and mids are kinda veiled; although the mids are more prominent than the highs, they are still veiled; and the bass is sort of there. Is this what it sounds like stock?

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #7,710 of 11,345

Quote:
I have a set of FA002/003 pads, and for the life of me couldn't get them on. They seem quite a bit smaller around than the Shure 840 pads, which are worlds easier to install by comparison. I wish I could get them on, I'd like to hear the difference. May have to give it another try sometime soon. 

I was able to attach them and it ruined the sound.  There's LFF's sock mod, or use adhesive.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back