Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 9, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #7,576 of 11,345
I can't truly comment on the changes in the sound. When I changed up the cabling, I sealed up all the extra holes in the cup, which probably made a significant change in itself. It might sound a bit brighter but...

The Amphenol plug was nice to work with but nothing fancy. I purchased the cable and plug from Redco and asked for a suggestion. The agent recommended the Amphenol as a good but affordable plug. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #7,577 of 11,345
Just to report back since I already have the Shure pads... 2 pairs of stock pads is superior sounding to a pair of Shure replacement pads
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #7,578 of 11,345

Quote:
Just to report back since I already have the Shure pads... 2 pairs of stock pads is superior sounding to a pair of Shure replacement pads
biggrin.gif

I received mine today. Gonna run them for a week but my general impression vs stock is that I lost some base and a bit of low boominess.
I also can say that acoustic guitar sounds amazing.
Soundstage improved.

Need to listen to some vocal tracks now and then something louder.

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #7,579 of 11,345
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Try mix and matching! I kinda liked the stock pads on top of the Shure pads, but in the end two layer of pads, whether shure>stock or stock>stock made it a bit muddier to my ears. Helped improve seal a lot though.
It will also highly depend on how your modification setup goes.

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #7,580 of 11,345
One thing I have learned with my breif ownership of these (my first ortho) is don't put any polyfill in the chambers.   I have slowly been adding adhesive backed craft foam to the insides of the cups which help the midrange distortion but adding polyfill just killed the bass texture.

I am getting a pair of wood cups but trying to figure out how I will "graft" the headband hinge to the wood,  also need to port them.

These phones have a very special midrange quality which is being held back by the enclosure and can turn to distortion easily,  also the closed design is frustrating.  It helps the bass texture but hurts the top end breath.

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #7,581 of 11,345

Quote:
One thing I have learned with my breif ownership of these (my first ortho) is don't put any polyfill in the chambers.   I have slowly been adding adhesive backed craft foam to the insides of the cups which help the midrange distortion but adding polyfill just killed the bass texture.

I am getting a pair of wood cups but trying to figure out how I will "graft" the headband hinge to the wood,  also need to port them.

These phones have a very special midrange quality which is being held back by the enclosure and can turn to distortion easily,  also the closed design is frustrating.  It helps the bass texture but hurts the top end breath.

I have a solution for the headband hinge in the Thunderpants thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/501773/thunderpants/2043 - scroll down for pictures

You can look at Smeggy's solution as well if you need more flexibility in the hinge. I agree polyfill doesn't work well, but many have reported good sounds with cotton wool. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #7,582 of 11,345
Just measured my current setup. The differences between my dual-entry-cable mod and my previous single entry setup are minimal. In fact, you could mistake them for being the same setup with measurement variation of perhaps +/- 2 dB either way. 

Quote:
What changes, if any, did you notice to the sound?

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #7,583 of 11,345

Quote:
I have a solution for the headband hinge in the Thunderpants thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/501773/thunderpants/2043 - scroll down for pictures

You can look at Smeggy's solution as well if you need more flexibility in the hinge. I agree polyfill doesn't work well, but many have reported good sounds with cotton wool. 

After taking out the poly fill and leaving in the thin adhesive backed craft foam I just started listening to my music collection.  I haven't enjoyed listening to jazz, rock, and blues guitar for that many hours in a long long time.   There is something special about these phones that even the different variations of Symphone Magnums don't pull off.  I can honestly say I haven't had such a long enjoyable listening session in years.  

Today I got some craft clay to seal around the back of the Fostex driver.

Hopefully by the end of the week the wood cups will be done,  thanks for the link about the hing.    Although I am a bit hesistant to make a drastic change to these 79 dollar wonders.

It has left me very curious about other orthos, and wether my Magnum/Grado loyalty is about to change.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #7,584 of 11,345
Yeah, the craft foam rules, you ain't lyin'. That's what I use.

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #7,586 of 11,345

Quote:Originally Posted by painter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It has left me very curious about other orthos, and wether my Magnum/Grado loyalty is about to change.

Jump on in ... the water's fine. 
biggrin.gif
  After going through my Grado, Grado / Magnum phase with lots of wooden cup combinations, I was moved by the T50RPs and then onto the HifiMANs.  If you think the experience of the T50RPs is moving, try some HifiMAN HE-5LEs (or, HE-500s) running through some speaker taps on a speaker amp. The only loyalty I have at the current time is how fine the sound can be delivered to me, and that has nothing to do with brand at the moment.

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #7,587 of 11,345
Alright guys, I come asking for a bit of information.
I haven't removed anything from my T50RP's, only added. I've heard about removing the earside felt improving the treble/highs.
I'm still using stock pads as I haven't acquired FA-003 earpads yet, but I'm hoping to in the near future.
Would someone be able to summarise the effects removing the earside felt has (and if anyone can comment on in with the FA-003 pads it'd be great)
I'm not sure if I want to wait until I've got the new earpads before removing the felt or not.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #7,589 of 11,345

Quote:
Alright guys, I come asking for a bit of information.
I haven't removed anything from my T50RP's, only added. I've heard about removing the earside felt improving the treble/highs.
I'm still using stock pads as I haven't acquired FA-003 earpads yet, but I'm hoping to in the near future.
Would someone be able to summarise the effects removing the earside felt has (and if anyone can comment on in with the FA-003 pads it'd be great)
I'm not sure if I want to wait until I've got the new earpads before removing the felt or not.

I just did it several days ago and with both stock and shure pads it was a big improvement.
I could not listed to female vocals with the earside felt on.

Now the shure pads actually have a kind of felt material which covers the driver when they are on, while stock ones do not.

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #7,590 of 11,345

Quote:
Is adhesive craft foam better than Acoustic foam? If so, by how much of a margin?

As far as how the difference is perceived by our own ears, I'm not sure how one would determine if one were better than the other - unless, one were to install both options and try them out.  I did the craft foam initially, before I received the acoustic foam.  To me, it seemed to provide a good presentation of the music, but didn't kill the bass.  I found that by lining the whole cup with acoustic foam (e.g. Silverstone) wasn't the best idea as my bass response took a hit.  I then reverted to just using Silverstone on the flat portion of the cups and left the sides open (plastic).  I did find a use for the 1/8" thick craft foam, though.  I did cut 1/4" pieces of it and placed them into the valley of the cup where the baffle gets inserted.  This allowed for a better seal between the cup and baffle.

Now, in regards to actual measurements of performance, it would be interesting to see how a pair of T50RPs performed with option 1) Acoustic Foam (Silverstone, etc.) in the cups, and 2) Craft Foam in the cups.  Which one would be the better choice?

Craft foam, is readily avalable at craft stores for a small amount of money.  Acoustic foam, on the other hand, usually has to be ordered, costs more and shipping charges are involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back