Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #6,301 of 11,345
Lurkumaural,
Thanks! Granted, I didn't try too much, was more interested in listening to them. They're okay if I sit straight, but tend to fall off if I nod. Nearly doubled the weight by the modding.

Mine also has such bends, but it isn't enough.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #6,303 of 11,345
Damn I just love the sound of my modded pair. So detailed while smooth, and evenly balanced....

Just a little evening enjoyment and had to appreciate.... I get lost in music so much more often now with these. I don't think I've ever enjoyed any of my previous/current IEM's/headphones more.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #6,304 of 11,345
I just got another pair of T50RPs a couple days ago. I won't be modding these, as they have another purpose. However, I wanted to compare them with my modded T50RPs for kicks. Strangely enough, I don't remember the stock T50RPs sounding as good as they did. The first time I heard the T50RP, I thought they sounded awful. With this second pair, I did not have that feeling. They actually sounded decent (at best). I don't remember them having this much bass. They had a fairly thick, muddy sound. This is not what I remember from the first time I heard the T50RPs.

I did some A/B comparisons with my modded T50RPs, and I was initially surprised to find that they seemed to have a similar amount of lower bass quantity. That's not exactly what I was expecting (or hoping for). I tested out some bass-heavy techno music and found that both my new stock T50RP and modded T50RP had a nice punch in the lower registers. Hmm...

Strange as those similarities in the bass may have been, the modded T50RPs still sound much different overall. The stock T50RP sound focuses primarily on the 100Hz-2KHz range. My modded T50Rps have noticeably more upper mid and treble presence and seem to squash the 100Hz-2KHz range bit. I do not hear the large drop off around 2KHz on my modded pair (in music and sine sweeps). There is definitely some sort of drop off between 2KHz and the typical T50RP 10KHz peak, but it sounds like a much less drastic drop off compared to stock. There is also much more treble presence past 10KHz compared to stock.

So, despite them having similar lower bass quantity, my modded T50RPs sound much more even and natural throughout the sound spectrum. The modded T50RPs sound very clear and balanced compared to the stock T50RPs.

Still, I'm confused about all of this. Compared to my Brainwavz HM5 (FA-003 clone), Vsonic GR07 IEMs, Panasonic HTF600s, my 2.1 stereo setup, and my car stereo setup with 12" subwoofer, I don't find my modded T50RPs to be lacking bass at all. They sound very balanced and natural while providing a strong bass punch when needed. They sound more bass heavy than my HD598s did. I know this because I was always a bit disappointed by how my HD598s portrayed Opeth's Ghost Reveries album. The modded T50RPs don't suffer this problem. However, I'm also finding my new pair of stock T50RPs to be similar to my modded T50RPs in lower bass quantity (think below 100Hz).

I'm not really sure what to make of all this, but I guess I'll just keep enjoying my music!

I also wanted to mention that I tried the HM5/FA-003 earpads on the stock T50RP. I didn't really attach them. They stayed in place using the glue left over from the stock earpads, and I pushed them on my head a bit while listening to make sure they were sealing properly. The pads had a pretty dramatic effect on the sound overall. If I did not already have another purpose for the pads and stock T50RP, I'd probably try to do a new mod that was built around the HM5 pads.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #6,305 of 11,345

Quote:
wje,
Have you described your experiences with HE-5LE and its comparison to Fostex? It'd be an interesting read.

Actually, I really haven't done so just yet.  The week has been crazy and I've had only about 3 hours with the HE-5LE.  However, I've had probably about 5 hours with the Fostex, using them at work.  As a few more weeks go along, I'll explain in better detail some of the specific differences.  However, for now, the detail on the Hifiman and also the bass seems just much more realistic.  Then again, both are basically only $600 different in price.  If the Hifiman couldn't beat out the Fostex, then something would be terribly wrong.  However, I will also state that when I put on the Fostex phones, I don't cringe.  I like the sound they produce.  Though, at times, the bass doesn't seem like the clear bass with the Hifiman headphones.  I'd sort of equate it if someone had a $150 subwoofer from Parts Express and thought that it produced good bass - yet, might have been a bit distorted.  Then, that individual went ahead and purchased a $1,000 sub from SVS.  The SVS sub is highly engineered with better components and the bass quality is going to be several times better.  It's that difference that people have some issues in grasping.  In fact, quite a few people are often disappointed with the bass the SVS produces, because it isn't a low, distorted "thumping" type of bass that they've been accustomed to.

But, one should not always assume that a higher cost always equals better quality.  I think in the case of the Fostex, it does much better than others in its price class and maybe even up to the $300 mark.  However, making a claim that the sound would trump the HE-5LE or something of that nature would be pushing it a bit.  That's just the reality of it.

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #6,306 of 11,345
Quote:
But, one should not always assume that a higher cost always equals better quality.  I think in the case of the Fostex, it does much better than others in its price class and maybe even up to the $300 mark.  However, making a claim that the sound would trump the HE-5LE or something of that nature would be pushing it a bit.  That's just the reality of it.

I've heard a few people claiming LFF's Paradox modded T50RPs were 2nd only to the highest end Stax at some recent meeting. I think the reality is that the T50RP has the potential to be as good or better than the flagship orthodynamics given the proper mods. Now, given that LFF doesn't share his mods, the majority of people probably won't get their T50RPs quite to that level.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #6,307 of 11,345
I did some A/B comparisons with my modded T50RPs, and I was initially surprised to find that they seemed to have a similar amount of lower bass quantity. That's not exactly what I was expecting (or hoping for). I tested out some bass-heavy techno music and found that both my new stock T50RP and modded T50RP had a nice punch in the lower registers. Hmm...

Yep, I experienced the same when A/Bing my friend's unmodded pair, the bass was there, only with a little less presence. I had a pair of Superlux HD 681s at hand which showed much more presence below 40 Hz which helped a little with sub-bass heavy microhouse, but somehow managed to sound hollow in comparison. My ancient Grado SR-80s with very worn pads also show a little more impact, but much of it is due to the midbass hump almost all Grados exhibit.
I think my preferred tuning would feature a little hump in the midbass, along with the least recessed upper mids possible. Sadly I haven't managed this yet.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #6,308 of 11,345

Quote:
BlackbeardBen,

I would just agree. I think the same.

What would happen with a wrong Zip code? They would be shipped to wrong place and then returned back to the shop?

wje,
Have you described your experiences with HE-5LE and its comparison to Fostex? It'd be an interesting read.

b0wl1ng,
I'm afraid I don't really understand you. What would it bend against that way? I've tried bringing ends of headband together, but that doesn't make enough bend. I've also tried pressing with my palms on the outside of the headband, placing them at about 1/3 and 2/3 of band's length respectively, thus bending only the center, but that again didn't hold.
essing up on the band with thumbsDo you m?
Sorry for my English, I really feel I'm ean I should hold the band with two hands, palms on the outside, fingers on the inside, near the center, with thumbs together at the center on the inside, moving palms down and together, and prnot descriptive enough there.

Yes correct, thumbs in the centre and considerable downward pressure, the main stay wire running through the spine of the headband is very thick.

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #6,309 of 11,345

Quote:
Quote:

I've heard a few people claiming LFF's Paradox modded T50RPs were 2nd only to the highest end Stax at some recent meeting. I think the reality is that the T50RP has the potential to be as good or better than the flagship orthodynamics given the proper mods. Now, given that LFF doesn't share his mods, the majority of people probably won't get their T50RPs quite to that level.

The earlier post about how good the stock config sounds: totally agree. There's nothing "wrong" with them and many right things.
It might be the methodology used. It's entirely possible than LFF's Paradox was modded to be most like a Stax since fast and clean is a common trait.
I know Smeggy said he just did it by ear but it makes perfect sense to a/b them with top hps while configuring them.
Comment LFF?

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #6,310 of 11,345
I think there is a bit of hype (or rather, unhype
biggrin.gif
) here regarding how bad the stock is, and by the same logic that made me wonder if the there is hype in the modded ones. I never thought the stock has too little bass, in fact I find it may be a bit too much mid bass and slightly muddies the midrange, or may be the mid range itself is inherently a bit smoothed over muddy. Reducing the mid bass and giving it more high end might give it the perception clarity.

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #6,311 of 11,345

Quote:
I think there is a bit of hype (or rather, unhype
biggrin.gif
) here regarding how bad the stock is, and by the same logic that made me wonder if the there is hype in the modded ones. I never thought the stock has too little bass, in fact I find it may be a bit too much mid bass and slightly muddies the midrange, or may be the mid range itself is inherently a bit smoothed over muddy. Reducing the mid bass and giving it more high end might give it the perception clarity.

I think everyone say in stock form, it roll off both top and bottom end, it lacks sub bass and a bit much mid bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back