Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #6,331 of 11,346

Quote:

thanks. sorry to pull you back here to be barraged by curious minds with questions. do bears in the southland hibernate?

LOL!
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #6,332 of 11,346
Paint on? Interesting...

Now just a dumb question about tuning. It's been in my plans to do so for a while now, but I just find myself lazy (lazy to mod? blasphemy!) to put back the screws each time--and also afraid to stress them too much. Hows the accuracy of tuning without the screws fitted back on and tight; that is, with the baffles strapped to your head only by the clamping force?

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #6,333 of 11,346

Quote:
Paint on? Interesting...

Now just a dumb question about tuning. It's been in my plans to do so for a while now, but I just find myself lazy (lazy to mod? blasphemy!) to put back the screws each time--and also afraid to stress them too much. Hows the accuracy of tuning without the screws fitted back on and tight; that is, with the baffles strapped to your head only by the clamping force?

IMHO, not accurate enough.

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #6,336 of 11,346
Not sure, but large rubber bands (like for produce) were suggested a while back. Convenient assembly, saves your screw threads too!

Here you go: http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/5340#post_7949196

Also please be aware that there is a custom search engine built by Team Ortho guru Ludoo that indexes this thread and few others nightly. It is a great resource for finding things here! Bookmark it!

http://headfi.qix.it/

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #6,339 of 11,346

Quote:
A lot of you think there is some huge secret behind my mods and there really isn't. My methods are published (in books) except for one. Even with my one trick...it comes down to carefully tuning them by ear.

I have read some audio design books in my school library but most of the contents are focused on op-amp circuits and loudspeakers. So were the books you read focused on loudspeakers or headphones or both?

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #6,340 of 11,346
Guys guys, there may be a lot of knowledge out there but I think LFF is trying to tell you that his mods do not use groundbreaking methods, but are methodologies for various sound modification possibly commonly found in books. Whether a modder picks up the idea and uses it, is key. Tuning them by ear would be trial and error, and that is essentially what you need and should do to achieve your goal.

No one said modding the T50RP was going to be a walk in the park. Put some effort into it! Any modder has the right to conceal his own methods, and we need not push the case further.

P.S. concepts used for loudspeakers and headphones can be used alike. Some just require common sense (i.e. no you will not wear your headphones on cinder blocks, so no it doesn't apply <-- yes I wanted to try putting concrete in the cups, lets just say don't do it) and tweaks to get optimal results for different enclosure material, shape, and size.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #6,341 of 11,346

Quote:
Guys guys, there may be a lot of knowledge out there but I think LFF is trying to tell you that his mods do not use groundbreaking methods, but are methodologies for various sound modification possibly commonly found in books. Whether a modder picks up the idea and uses it, is key. Tuning them by ear would be trial and error, and that is essentially what you need and should do to achieve your goal.

No one said modding the T50RP was going to be a walk in the park. Put some effort into it! Any modder has the right to conceal his own methods, and we need not push the case further.

P.S. concepts used for loudspeakers and headphones can be used alike. Some just require common sense (i.e. no you will not wear your headphones on cinder blocks, so no it doesn't apply <-- yes I wanted to try putting concrete in the cups, lets just say don't do it) and tweaks to get optimal results for different enclosure material, shape, and size.

I put a lot of effort into modding the T50RP, i spent many hours experiment almost any method and material mentioned in this thread. I just wish LFF can tell me which type of book to read, there are just too many ... I did find other headphone modding threads and all always go back to dynamat, felt, blu-tack, etc ...

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #6,342 of 11,346
how to improve T50rp's soundstage,

this is how i feel right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73KBozIDcbo&feature=channel_video_title

why? cause i explained something so many times not just this forum but helped people in private messages. i done explaining things though. sorry to quote you. not directed at you. i just keep seeing the same thing asked over and over and over again i thought someone would of figured it out by now. it's so simple!

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #6,343 of 11,346
concepts used for loudspeakers and headphones can be used alike.

holy crap.i think we're onto something. i think this guy deserves a cookie.

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #6,344 of 11,346

thanks. sorry to pull you back here to be barraged by curious minds with questions. do bears in the southland hibernate?

soooo....uhhhhh.... does anyone have an answer for this yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back