Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 8, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #6,286 of 11,345

Quote:
 I should also think about how to seal the single-entry point.

I found a nice, 3/8" or so diameter plastic plug with a slightly rounded head at the auto parts store.  They actually had a 4-pack and they were designed as clips to hold vinyl in place or something like that.  I cut off the threaded portion and only kept the head portion.  The head portion was set into place over my old single-entry point that was supplied via the factory installation and adhered with super glue.  It's barely noticeable and works at sealing the outside of the cups.  The inside was cut apart with my side-cutters and filled with plasticine, so no leakage would occur through the old jack hole.

This weekend, I'll take some good pictures when the light is good.

There's a vendor on ebay that sells 10' lengths of the Mogami Neglex Quad 2534 cable for $18.35, and free shipping.  A good, Neutrik connector with gold plated metal ends will run about $5.00.  One can opt for other Mogami from another vendor, but you spend nearly the same amount and you'll pay $11 - $12 shipping, depending on the vendor.  The other vendors are great to work with if you have more items to buy (e.g. - 5 Neutrik connectors, 50 feet of cable) because that can justify the $12 shipping cost.

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #6,289 of 11,345
How do you bend the headband on them? In detail, as in how much bend is not dangerous, what tools to use, how much time is required, where on the band the bend better be placed? I don't readily see how I can bend them permanently..

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #6,290 of 11,345
Place your thumbs in the inside  of the band centrally and exert considerable downward pressure, do not be afraid to give it plenty of grunt, you won,t hurt them, reverse the procedure if required.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #6,292 of 11,345

Quote:
For anyone interested Sonicfiber on Ebay has a couple of T50rps left for 82.99 or best offer.

-Chris

Actually, I find that a bit ironic.  After having called them yesterday, they were not aware that they had any stock - locally, at the moment.  However, the guy wasn't so sure that they didn't have another source after I told him that I had talked to the distributor of Fostex for the U.S. and they wouldn't have any supply until late-April.

With that being said, there is a coupon code that can be used at check out to get 10% off.  Just type in BOUNCE when and if you see a spot for a coupon code a check out.

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #6,293 of 11,345
Not sure about the pad, they are a bit pricey at $30 (Shure [size=small]HPAEC840 [/size]are $18) but the headband padding seem interesting for $10.

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone has played with these. They seem like a good option.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #6,294 of 11,345
The KRK ones are supposed to be memory foam, which would explain the price difference. I have the 8400's and they provide a nice enough seal that my ears can actually feel the pressure change when I take them off. 

I actually bought my T50RP's from that ebay auction and submitted $75 bucks for best offer and they accepted it. I wasn't aware of the 10% coupon. 

Going to pick up some Lindy Hi-fi's (same as HM5 or F003) in a few minutes and will probably use the spare set of pads for my T50RP's. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #6,295 of 11,345

Quote:
I actually bought my T50RP's from that ebay auction and submitted $75 bucks for best offer and they accepted it. I wasn't aware of the 10% coupon. 

rolleyes.gif
  - I can't even get them to RMA my headphones with a new pair that they have in stock, yet they continue to keep the eBay sales rolling. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #6,296 of 11,345
:rolleyes:   - I can't even get them to RMA my headphones with a new pair that they have in stock, yet they continue to keep the eBay sales rolling. 

For serious? They won't take back defective headphones?

Did you buy with AmEx? I know how I'd deal with that. heh.

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #6,297 of 11,345

Quote:
For serious? They won't take back defective headphones?
Did you buy with AmEx? I know how I'd deal with that. heh.

Actually,  here's the deal.  I had submitted my RMA request this past Saturday and then received an e-mail on Tuesday that I would get connected with the California distributor of Fostex.  However, when I called the distributor yesterday, I learned of the issue with Fostex not shipping more until late April.  It then had me confused how Sonic Fiber was able to keep selling the headphones, but could not find a pair to replace mine with on the RMA.  A few minutes ago, I called the customer service manager, who had initially responded to me via e-mail.  I told him about the issue with the stock of the distributor.  He then made the choice to dispatch me a UPS label so I could ship the headphones with the issue back to them and my PayPal account would be refunded the purchase amount.

All in all, I'm happy with how this worked out.  I'm not trying to make this company look bad, because I think they've been fair to deal with.  But, I'm confused at how they can keep selling them because even the guy I just spoke to told me that the next shipment they would receive, was about two weeks away.  That is when he came up with the idea of returning them and issuing me a refund.  I can't make any claims for how the recent orders will work out - or, when they'll ship, unless they have some other source that will be shipping directly to the buyer.  I'm not sure, though.

But, again, I'm happy.  Last Friday, I ordered a pair through Amazon for $105 and paid $19.95 for Saturday FedEx Delivery.  Recovering $82.99 of that $124.95 isn't so bad for me.  Plus, I now don't need so many Fostex phones and am actually glad Sonic Fiber offered the refund route for me.  My HE-5LEs arrived on Monday and this weekend, I'm picking up my HE-400s.  I'll keep the Fostex for work and the Hifiman headphones for at-home listening.

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #6,298 of 11,345

Quote:
I didn't open the driver itself (clips are really strong, was afraid to break them and gave up), but they look the same, and it's doubtful they would change the magnets themselves - that would only change the sensitivity. As for power handling, i think T20RP's handling is just marketed up and there is actually no difference between them and T50RP. After all, it's the diaphragm that has to dissipate heat, and if it's the same, there shouldn't be any difference.

Well, I was thinking about the possibility that the Xmax could be the limiting factor rather than heat dissipation (or sparking across the diaphragm).  If one had a stronger magnet array than the other you'd need more power into the weaker array to reach that Xmax.  Given that the difference in reported efficiency of the two headphones is only 1 dB (in favor of the T50RP) I'd say there's likely no difference in the array strength.

And I presume you mean the T20RP's handling being "marketed down" instead, assuming they're not over-reporting the power handling of the T50RP.  This is what is almost certainly the truth; I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

Actually, now that I think about it there could be another explanation related to the driver Xmax.  The T20RP, having undamped ports and less backpressure on the driver, could very well be more efficient in the bass (i.e. bassier) than the T50RP.  It'd reach Xmax with less power if that was the case - and the reported 50% increase in power handling for the T50RP only would need a 1.7 dB change in efficiency to do that.

Again, I'm just trying to see if there's any logic to their claim in terms of actual performance.

In other news, I'm damning myself for putting the wrong Zip code in when I ordered the T20RP...

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #6,299 of 11,345
BlackbeardBen,

I would just agree. I think the same.

What would happen with a wrong Zip code? They would be shipped to wrong place and then returned back to the shop?

wje,
Have you described your experiences with HE-5LE and its comparison to Fostex? It'd be an interesting read.

b0wl1ng,
I'm afraid I don't really understand you. What would it bend against that way? I've tried bringing ends of headband together, but that doesn't make enough bend. I've also tried pressing with my palms on the outside of the headband, placing them at about 1/3 and 2/3 of band's length respectively, thus bending only the center, but that again didn't hold.
Do you mean I should hold the band with two hands, palms on the outside, fingers on the inside, near the center, with thumbs together at the center on the inside, moving palms down and together, and pressing up on the band with thumbs?
Sorry for my English, I really feel I'm not descriptive enough there.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #6,300 of 11,345
Just bringing the ends of the headband together is not enough to change its shape, because that's a wide bend and the metal would just go back to the way it was. What's being suggested is that you place your thumbs about 1-2 inches apart on the underside of the band, and use those as your fulcrum, you want to put an angle, like a corner, into the metal. Do this at the right and the left, accommodating your head width, and it should feel a lot better.

I noticed my T50 came with these bends already made. I had to bend my vintage T20 headband to match this shape, as it arrived in pretty much an arc shape.

EDIT: Oh okay I just read b0wl1ng's post and he's talking about bending the headband at the center. But the technique is the same. Have your fulcrum (thumbs pretty close together) inside the arc, where you want the bend, and bend the metal over your thumbs. You'd probably have to put your arms and shoulders into the effort. Granted, I just did this the other day, but I was sleepy and watching a movie so I wasn't exactly present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back