Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jan 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #5,716 of 11,345
Couple question, mostly directed at mrspeakers:

1. For your latest version of the Rastapants 2 w/ 840 pads, what exactly are the 5mm risers you stuff the pads with? Would tissue work as well?
2. I don't really want to do anything that isn't reversible, so I'm not too keen on removing the white felt from the driver... how much of a difference will this make in SQ?
3. Any pro-tips for a first time mod?

Oh yeah, is there anything I can do about unbalanced drivers? The left can seems a bit "louder", or more prominent. It's not to the point where it's unlistenable, but its definitely noticeable.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #5,717 of 11,345
Oh yeah, is there anything I can do about unbalanced drivers? The left can seems a bit "louder", or more prominent. It's not to the point where it's unlistenable, but its definitely noticeable.

Try checking if it isn't due to a contact issue in the headphone jack. Then try sealing the gaps around the jack inside the left cup. If all that fails, use the balance control in your amp / audio player / sound card control panel.

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #5,719 of 11,345

The Silverstone foam will help with sound reflection and the Dynamat will help on the vibration of the cups. It all help on mass loading the front baffle if applied around driver.
Quote:
Here's a noob question.  Is the silverstone sound dampening foam better than dynamat for the cups?

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #5,720 of 11,345

Quote:
Couple question, mostly directed at mrspeakers:

1. For your latest version of the Rastapants 2 w/ 840 pads, what exactly are the 5mm risers you stuff the pads with? Would tissue work as well?
2. I don't really want to do anything that isn't reversible, so I'm not too keen on removing the white felt from the driver... how much of a difference will this make in SQ?
3. Any pro-tips for a first time mod?

On the 840 I used both solid soft but carve-able foam and 2-3 layers of Akasa foam, they sounded close enough to each other.  I should measure but I've been crazy busy lately and test/measurement has taken second fiddle to chilling out and listening.

I agree with the earlier comment that if the balance is WAY off it's probably corrosion in the female receptacle, and a little de-oxit will probably solve it.  Usually corrosion like this "crackles" when you rotate the cable and there's audio on...   

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 5, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #5,721 of 11,345
I recently received my T50RP and REALLY like them! First, these are extraordinarily neutral transducers--so much so that I now find my HD 650 colored. Second, I also find myself more aware of the beautiful purity of the sound of instruments and voices. Finally, I feel a stronger emotional connection with some acoustic music through these headphones.

I have two complaints. First, the fit takes a lot of fiddling to get right; it's very unstable at first. (I tried stuffing the rear of the headphone pad to improve fit and soundstage, but it moves the transducers away from the ear, eviscerating low-frequency response.) Second, at higher volumes, vocals and violins can sound like they're being played through a pipe.

Given that the T50RP costs only $75, however, WOW!, these are spectacular headphones! (Big manufacturers, are you listening? You can make great headphones for less than $1k-2k!)

Great work, Fostex!

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #5,722 of 11,345
I am pleased to say that although the T50RP's are closed in design, they still can hold there own on the A8 Realiser. I recently did a PRIR of the Acapella Sphäron "Excalibur" http://www.acapella.de/en/hornspeakers/sphaeron_excalibur.php , they have 4 x 15" woofers, a big midrange horn and tweeter. They can go as low as 20hz and the T50RP delivers. The 3D dimensional sound is out of this world.

Can't wait for the Stax Omega's, but enjoying the T50RP's in the mean time.

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #5,725 of 11,345
Okay, this is ridiculous. I totally get the resonance issue. But for 50 dollars, you have to be kidding me. This is ridiculous. The mids. Oh my god, the mids. Holy God! Especially coming from Ultrasones, which kind of glaze over mids...

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #5,727 of 11,345
thnx ... might get a couple prs myself, then.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back