Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jan 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #5,701 of 11,345
Stock is perfect! But if you must do a dual entry any sennheiser hd6x0 cable works wonderful. Just cut off the senn plugs on the ends and solder in the cable! It doesnt get easier or cheaper.

M

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #5,702 of 11,345
Jan 3, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #5,703 of 11,345

Quote:

do you see this yellow glue on the driver? do you guys have it too? i think it may effect the sound since it blocks parts of the driver-exposed squares. i will try to remove it by first removing the stock white felt, then remove that yellow **** and finally put the stock white felt back on the driver with bluemonkeyflyer's method http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/2655#post_7768646

I highly doubt that would make a difference in the sound. I wouldn't bother trying to remove it. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #5,705 of 11,345
Anyone tried to transplant the drivers into a bigger/more comfy shell? quite frankly its headband is horrid...the cups are not round and sharp angles sound nasty, they're also not big enough to let the drivers breathe
evil_smiley.gif

I'm contemplating using a TakStar TS-671 shell(using a Stax O2 knock off headband) to house both the T50RP drivers and the Yamaha HP-1's. Together with good earpads such as the FA-003's for instance, this could be a killer combo
very_evil_smiley.gif

The stock drivers are 50mm and the HP-1's are 55mm so a bit of Dremel'ing will do the rest, but I'm not too sure how to house the T50RP's...will have to think of something! This said, I can't stand the stock shell anymore.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #5,706 of 11,345
What yellow glue?  I don't see anything except the yellow putty all around the driver.  The only thing I see is that the stock white damping paper is not glued on one corner which means that square of driver isn't being damped properly because backwave can just flow out the crack and isn't being shoved through the paper. 

But that probably isn't noticeable in terms of SQ with this driver. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #5,707 of 11,345

Quote:
Anyone tried to transplant the drivers into a bigger/more comfy shell? quite frankly its headband is horrid...the cups are not round and sharp angles sound nasty, they're also not big enough to let the drivers breathe
evil_smiley.gif

I'm contemplating using a TakStar TS-671 shell(using a Stax O2 knock off headband) to house both the T50RP drivers and the Yamaha HP-1's. Together with good earpads such as the FA-003's for instance, this could be a killer combo
very_evil_smiley.gif

The stock drivers are 50mm and the HP-1's are 55mm so a bit of Dremel'ing will do the rest, but I'm not too sure how to house the T50RP's...will have to think of something! This said, I can't stand the stock shell anymore.

have you seen the thunderpants thread?  http://www.head-fi.org/t/501773/thunderpants

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #5,708 of 11,345

Quote:
there are plastic parts on the bass ports and it's right in front of the back of the driver. do you think it's essential to cover the bass port's plastic parts with acoustic foam?

Not quite sure I get what you're describing?  If you mean the grill on the ports, I didn't, but there's some cotton over the area.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #5,710 of 11,345
do they have that play-doh stuff in pink? i want to make my fostex look absolutely fabulous!

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #5,712 of 11,345
if you dont see the yellow glue behind the white paper use zoom. click on the picture to enlarge it. that glue is kinda like a small reflex dot so i will remove it. a small channel imbalance is something people dont always notice but i think it has an effect on the overall listening experience.
i see what you are saying, i will put a thin tape on it and press it firmly. thanks.
by the way, do you guys hear a slight echo on vocals? i notice it on almost every song.
Quote:
What yellow glue?  I don't see anything except the yellow putty all around the driver.  The only thing I see is that the stock white damping paper is not glued on one corner which means that square of driver isn't being damped properly because backwave can just flow out the crack and isn't being shoved through the paper. 

But that probably isn't noticeable in terms of SQ with this driver. 

yes thats what i meant. oh so cotton acts like paxmate? i already have lots of cotton there. ok thanks.

Quote:
Not quite sure I get what you're describing?  If you mean the grill on the ports, I didn't, but there's some cotton over the area.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #5,714 of 11,345
So I picked up a cheap (kinda..at least in head-fi it is) tube amp in the CTH Rev A to use for these headphones as well as some others I have. It is supposed to go quite well with the T50RP and so far I like what I am hearing but everything is still quite new since the amp does not have many hours on it other than a few hours of testing and the tube has not been used too long.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #5,715 of 11,345
Just got my T50RP's from www.fullcompass.com. I got the shipping confirmation yesterday, and they were delivered to me a few hours ago! Can't recommend them enough.

I'm going to listen to these vanilla for the next week so far...my ear hasn't been trained nearly enough to be able to tell a lot of differences, I don't think. These sound pretty good to me out of the box :wink:

EDIT: Holy crap, I understand the resonance thing. Dear lord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back