Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jan 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #5,732 of 11,345

Quote:
When you say glaze over do you really mean pillage?

They're the absolute best of anything I've ever heard for electronic. Nothing else I've heard comes close. They do manage to sound horrible on some stuff though, not an 'all around' can at all, haha. Some stuff on these makes me want to shoot my foot.

I've just covered 3 of the port holes, put three cotton ball's worth of cotton in the housing, and put a bunch of RTV silicone on the back of the driver housings on these t20RPs and they're sounding fantastic. Do most people here follow a structured modding guide from the wiki, or do you guys just kind of do whatever you want and see how it pans out? I'm leaning towards the 'do anything you want' part because I have an amp with dual output channels and two sets of the phones, so direct A/Bing will be super easy, even for my immature ears... But if there are any 'Must-do' type mods, I'm open.

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #5,733 of 11,345
I just kind of mix-and-matched with some mods and checked out others to see if they had tried anything cool to make any changes that I wanted to hear. There's no strict formula to follow for it or anything, though.
Quote:
They're the absolute best of anything I've ever heard for electronic. Nothing else I've heard comes close. They do manage to sound horrible on some stuff though, not an 'all around' can at all, haha. Some stuff on these makes me want to shoot my foot.

I've just covered 3 of the port holes, put three cotton ball's worth of cotton in the housing, and put a bunch of RTV silicone on the back of the driver housings on these t20RPs and they're sounding fantastic. Do most people here follow a structured modding guide from the wiki, or do you guys just kind of do whatever you want and see how it pans out? I'm leaning towards the 'do anything you want' part because I have an amp with dual output channels and two sets of the phones, so dicert A/Bing will be super easy, even for my immature ears... But if there are any 'Must-do' type mods, I'm open.

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #5,734 of 11,345

Quote:

I've just covered 3 of the port holes, put three cotton ball's worth of cotton in the housing, and put a bunch of RTV silicone on the back of the driver housings on these t20RPs and they're sounding fantastic. Do most people here follow a structured modding guide from the wiki, or do you guys just kind of do whatever you want and see how it pans out? I'm leaning towards the 'do anything you want' part because I have an amp with dual output channels and two sets of the phones, so dicert A/Bing will be super easy, even for my immature ears... But if there are any 'Must-do' type mods, I'm open.

There are some more popular mods such as the BMF and Rastapants 2 and from there the person doing the mod can suit to that particular person's signature or follow the mods entirely. Also there are general mods that most have started with such as mass loading the cups and then going from there.

It really is up to you which is one reason I like this headphone. That is you can mod it to your liking within reason.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #5,735 of 11,345
So I went with 3 jumbo cotton balls in each earpiece and it's seeming like there's a massive drop in the 2khz range... Am I about right here? And can this be remedied by adjusting the amount of cotton?

Other than that, the mids... Still so perfect. It sounds as open and fast as AD900s too. This is just amazing. I'm buying all of the T20RPs, and nobody can stop me. Tinkering with stuff is like my favorite thing in the world, and if I can do that and still get sound like this I'm gonna explode from happiness.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #5,736 of 11,345

Quote:
So I went with 3 jumbo cotton balls in each earpiece and it's seeming like there's a massive drop in the 2khz range... Am I about right here? And can this be remedied by adjusting the amount of cotton?

Other than that, the mids... Still so perfect. It sounds as open and fast as AD900s too. This is just amazing. I'm buying all of the T20RPs, and nobody can stop me. Tinkering with stuff is like my favorite thing in the world, and if I can do that and still get sound like this I'm gonna explode from happiness.

Ha, the Fostex are actually what drove me to sell my AD900

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #5,737 of 11,345
Do most people here follow a structured modding guide from the wiki, or do you guys just kind of do whatever you want and see how it pans out?

if your not using play-doh then you're clearly not rolling with the cool people around these parts. using play-doh is a hip thing to do when it comes to modding yo.

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #5,739 of 11,345
How on Earth will I be able to make enough spaghetti for dinner tonight if I put all my playdoh in the fostex?

sometimes sacrifices just has to be made.

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #5,740 of 11,345
I'm gonna scavenge the city today until I find about three pounds of plasticine. And then I'm gonna blow off all of my friends tonight and stay at home tweaking these.

These headphones are going to turn me into a friendless hermit who is only seen one his weekly ventures out to acquire more cotton balls.

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #5,742 of 11,345

Quote:
That totally makes sense though. I have about three pairs of phones that are already looking pretty unnecessary right about now. AD900s are on that list.

You can always have different headphones with different signatures for your mood :) I have a few headphones I don't use that often anymore but I keep them around for that reason.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #5,745 of 11,345

Quote:
You can always have different headphones with different signatures for your mood :) I have a few headphones I don't use that often anymore but I keep them around for that reason.

The way I have my t20s set up now though they sound really similar to my AD900s, just way better, haha. Gonna keep my Grados and Ultrasones no matter what, because they're so good for rock and electronic. But all-rounders like my D2000s and HD600s are probably gonna find a new home.

Quote:
That's what she said.

I was listening to A machine/B machine by Sleigh Bells as I read this.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back