Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jan 1, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #5,687 of 11,345

if the t20rp and t50rp are the same now, does anyone know which retailers have the newest version?

I saw the b&h has it in stock, but I tend to shy away from them because I get charged tax (I live in NYC), but if they're the only confirmed ones to have it in stock, I'll just make a trip there after work and suck it up.

(edit doesn't seem to be working for me for me some reason, sorry for the two posts in a row.)

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #5,688 of 11,345

Quote:

I'm going to apologize ahead of time before asking this.  You see, this thread is 380 pages of info.  I can't sift through it properly (search doesn't easily get everything for you), can I mod this to make sure minimal sound leaks and also for more bass impact?

And I mean cheaply.  I don't have the money or resources to put new cups on it and such.

thanks in advance.

Shure 840 pads and electrical tape over the ports that are below the earcup adjustment sliders.  The new pads seal better and closing up the ports of course reduces sound leakage out.

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #5,689 of 11,345

Quote:

Shure 840 pads and electrical tape over the ports that are below the earcup adjustment sliders.  The new pads seal better and closing up the ports of course reduces sound leakage out.

wow, that's it?

I think I'm sold.

I just need confirmation that the newer t20s are being sold at b&h.

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #5,692 of 11,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wow, that's it?

I think I'm sold.

I just need confirmation that the newer t20s are being sold at b&h.

They won't sound very good like that. You'll be looking to spend $40-50 to "properly" mod these, and it does take quite a bit of tedious, but easy work. It is well worth the time and money, assuming you have a nice DAC and powerful amp to go along with them.

Here is a link to the T50RP modifications wiki. The most popular mods are the RastaPants 840 edition (sometimes called RP2i) and BMF (latest version), though you'll find many similar mods and variations of these floating around. Here is my particular mod, which I am extremely satisfied with. Some mods remove the felt/paper behind the driver, and some mods leave it stock. 

With my mods, the majority of the vents are taped or covered up. They leak very little and sound wonderful.

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #5,693 of 11,345
with the closed vents and 840 pads how much do these leak?  I'm looking for a new set of closed 'phones and these sound like a fun project but I need something that isn't a leak monster like the denon 2000.

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #5,694 of 11,345
I finally plugged my modded T50-RP (some variation of the Rastapants mod) into my Macmini through the ALO Rx MKII instead of an iPod, and the difference is quite significant.  The sound is much more powerful, resolved, and detailed.  Music is so smooth.  I have listened to some Alice in Chains, some Alien Ant Farm, and Amy Winehouse (yes going through the "A" artists, and wondered how I can do this from an iPod instead.  I just hate being tied to a chair.

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #5,695 of 11,345
Quote:
with the closed vents and 840 pads how much do these leak?  I'm looking for a new set of closed 'phones and these sound like a fun project but I need something that isn't a leak monster like the denon 2000.

Assuming the 840 pads are sealed on properly and the vents are not entirely closed, leakage should be fairly minimal (definitely less than the D2000).

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #5,696 of 11,345
I've made a slight adjustment to my mod. All I did was remove the tape covering the bottom vent. The differences are minor at best, but it adds a bit of warmth to the sound. I decided to make this change after listening to the GR07s and the HM5s (FA-003 clones). I'm not a huge fan of the HM5s, but those coupled with the GR07 made me realize my T50RPs could stand to have a bit more warmth in the sound.

It's still important to poke the cotton a bit through the vent to make sure it's not too "restrictive". 

Seriously, if anyone wants some of the felt I used for my mod (behind the drivers), I will send small amounts out for free (just enough to use them in a mod).

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #5,697 of 11,345
Do you guys think that it would be possible to mod these so that the bass is as impactful and as good as the Ultrasone HFI-580's?
If so, please explain how. I know that mods like Uncovering the pass ports, mass loading around the driver, and using transpore will increase bass, but would it be able to get to the level of the Ultrasones?

Thanks

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #5,698 of 11,345
They are such different sounding headphones that it's really hard to say.

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #5,699 of 11,345

Do you guys think that it would be possible to mod these so that the bass is as impactful and as good as the Ultrasone HFI-580's?
If so, please explain how. I know that mods like Uncovering the pass ports, mass loading around the driver, and using transpore will increase bass, but would it be able to get to the level of the Ultrasones?

IME, you need to add thick felt before the drivers to get good deep bass impact. If I don't put any, the bass is just dull w/ Akasa+Newplast and the side vents fully open. I would have given up on this phone completely.

BTW, I've gotten a hold of a Yam' HP1...this thing seems to sound better than a stock T50RP to my ears(honestly, the stock T50RP is unlistenable
confused_face_2.gif
). I shall give it the whole AcoustiPak/newplast/felt treatment and also recable it, coz the poor copper wires are 35yo
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back