Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Dec 15, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #5,521 of 11,345

Quote:
i use butterflies as dampen material. makes the tone delicate,swift, and sweet.

But if said butterfly flaps its wings... will a thunderstorm develop six months down the line?

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #5,522 of 11,345

Quote:
i liked the screws.
EDIT: dang it. how do you resize photos? so they don't come out super huge on me when i quote them.

You drag the corners of the photo inward like dealing with Excel graphs or pictures in Word.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #5,523 of 11,345

Quote:
I was thinking that the irregularities and the paper would have better effect on sound waves. Also It's more ECO Friendly 
biggrin.gif
. Thanks for the good word.

My thoughts exactly with the Pop-up sponge material I used. Sounds like you and I had similar results with different materials. I'm still loving mine.

Was starting to think the bass was a little too rolled off, but spent last night doing intense comparisons to my NOS (4 wks. old) HD600's and the Fostex were better all around. Which was actually a little surprising. I expected the Senn's to win out in soundstaging alone being open cans, but the Fostex actually sounded more open.

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #5,524 of 11,345
But if said butterfly flaps its wings... will a thunderstorm develop six months down the line?

yup. it lets me know burn-in is taking affect. there will be a glorious rainbow after 1000 hours of burn-in.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #5,526 of 11,345
I'd love to hear more on your comparisons between the HD600 and T50RP -  I have almost been seduced by the HD600 a couple of times. Am bidding on a used one on ebay, but there's no way I'll go high enough to win it.

Quote:
My thoughts exactly with the Pop-up sponge material I used. Sounds like you and I had similar results with different materials. I'm still loving mine.

Was starting to think the bass was a little too rolled off, but spent last night doing intense comparisons to my NOS (4 wks. old) HD600's and the Fostex were better all around. Which was actually a little surprising. I expected the Senn's to win out in soundstaging alone being open cans, but the Fostex actually sounded more open.

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #5,527 of 11,345
I've got a pair of Rastapants 2 modded T50RP's on the way from the FS classifieds... getting excited to hear them with all these reports of their sonic strengths.

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #5,529 of 11,345
Anyone tried cover up the bass vent completely and drill(using hot miniature screwdriver is a way) out bass port (maybe the position similar to thunderpant's) instead? I think it might have better sound isolation n effect(although harder to control).
Just curious, has anyone tried to mod t50rp to opened-back or semi-opened(more open than stock)?? I wonder how would it sound like(bright grado-ish sound? haha..)

Anyways, anyone is kind enough to measure the outermost diameter(back) of his shure pads (new and unstreched if possible) you guys used in t50rp? I am searching for a replacement earpad for my ath-t500. They look like a suitable one and easily obtained. =)

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #5,530 of 11,345
Interesting idea. If you try it, let us know how it worked for you.

The Shure 840 pads are ~ 9 x 10.8 cm measured from the back outside rim width x length.

Quote:
Anyone tried cover up the bass vent completely and drill(using hot miniature screwdriver is a way) out bass port (maybe the position similar to thunderpant's) instead? I think it might have better sound isolation n effect(although harder to control).
Just curious, has anyone tried to mod t50rp to opened-back or semi-opened(more open than stock)?? I wonder how would it sound like(bright grado-ish sound? haha..)

Anyways, anyone is kind enough to measure the outermost diameter(back) of his shure pads (new and unstreched if possible) you guys used in t50rp? I am searching for a replacement earpad for my ath-t500. They look like a suitable one and easily obtained. =)

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #5,531 of 11,345
Drilling extra holes in the cups seems like a good idea based on my experiences with other orthos, but it didn't have the same effect as it has had on others.  Not recommended.  I'll post pics one of these days...

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #5,533 of 11,345
Alright... I so modded my T50 RP's just the basics for the first time today, added in some dampening, put on some new pads, and actually re-cabled to each driver directly with some beldin quad I had laying around here...

Honestly, I am incredibly impressed at this point, the highs and mids are mind blowing...  my one question is, is there any suggestions to get a bit more impact on that low end out of these?  It's the one very mild problem I have.

Other than that, so impressed by these...

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #5,534 of 11,345
Quote:
Alright... I so modded my T50 RP's just the basics for the first time today, added in some dampening, put on some new pads, and actually re-cabled to each driver directly with some beldin quad I had laying around here...

Honestly, I am incredibly impressed at this point, the highs and mids are mind blowing...  my one question is, is there any suggestions to get a bit more impact on that low end out of these?  It's the one very mild problem I have.

Other than that, so impressed by these...

The only way I've gotten noticeable bass out of them is to have some of the back of the driver "naked". In my case, I have some 3mm wool felt with a hole in the middle on the back of my driver as opposed to the stock white felt/paper. You can find my most current mods here. I have taken ideas from the most recently updated RastaPants mod and the KODA T50RP and tweaked them to my liking. You may have to dig through some of my previous posts to find more details on these mods.

Similarly, the latest version of the RastaPants mod with the naked drivers and one or two spots on the back of the driver covered with tape puts out some bass. I just liked how the wool felt sounded compared to that setup.

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #5,535 of 11,345
i like using play-doh and forming mystical creatures to reside in the enclosed casing. helps bring out the inner beast of the fostex driver's potential. sometimes when i want them to sound magical i mold tiny unicorns and place them on the baffle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back