Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Dec 1, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #5,191 of 11,345
anyone tried to balance the T50RP? night and day?
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #5,192 of 11,345
anyone tried to balance the T50RP? night and day? :D

i don't know, but i am going make them balanced in the near future with a 4-pin XLR like rest of my headphones. right now i just have them extremely stuffed with mixer of mineral wool,polyfill and cotton and i do not feel like opening them up again for a pretty long time from all the man handling i did lol. right now they sound great way they are with the 3-core wiring they use driving them off little speaker amp box i made from parts from my local radioshack.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #5,193 of 11,345

i don't know, but i am going make them balanced in the near future with a 4-pin XLR like rest of my headphones. right now i just have them extremely stuffed with mixer of mineral wool,polyfill and cotton and i do not feel like opening them up again for a pretty long time from all the man handling i did lol. right now they sound great way they are with the 3-core wiring they use driving them off little speaker amp box i made from parts from my local radioshack.

OK, sounds good! What's an ETA? I'm very much contemplating getting a balanced amp at this point
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #5,194 of 11,345

If anyone is looking for a pair I ordered some from here.

Order at your own risk, it's the only place I could find with them in stock.

I'm going to mod them with acoustic foam only. . . y'all's methods seem overly complex and I'm not interested in tweaking forever. IIRC a member tested the T50RP with Shure 840 pads and it performed worse than the stock pads, so I wouldn't put much faith in consensus (well I could say that about anything on this forum :p).

If they sound as good as my Senns I'll be surprised. I'll write a review and post it on my dead blog later this month. 

Peace.

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #5,195 of 11,345

Quote:

I'm going to mod them with acoustic foam only. . . y'all's methods seem overly complex and I'm not interested in tweaking forever. IIRC a member tested the T50RP with Shure 840 pads and it performed worse than the stock pads, so I wouldn't put much faith in consensus (well I could say that about anything on this forum :p).

If they sound as good as my Senns I'll be surprised. I'll write a review and post it on my dead blog later this month. 

Peace.

If you only do two mods, do the acoustic foam and shove some modeling clay in the baffle.  It's only an extra $3 or so and you'll get a quality idea of what they can do.

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #5,196 of 11,345
Interesting. Why acoustic dampening, only, as opposed to mechanical dampening, only?

Modifying headphones is currently my favorite hobby. My goal is to achieve the best sound possible with the fewest reversible mod components and keep the price under $100.00. Various combinations of components interact in some known and other unknown ways resulting in X% SQ improvement.  Other combinations result in X% SQ degradation; again, some known and probably others unknown, at least to me.

I am a layman DIY'er with less than 6 months experience. I don't have a controlled lab or sophisticated measurement equipment. Moving at a snail's pace, I am learning the hard way through systematic trial and error. The process is challenging and fun for me, otherwise I would be spending my free time doing something else. It's not fun for others (maybe not for you?) who may think people like me are crazy to come up with a bunch of "overly complex" mods.  No argument. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  When this hobby stops being fun, I will find something else to do. "Whatever floats your boat."

micmacmo once mentioned Occam's Razor applied to modifying headphones. I have to agree with the premise and with the wisdom to "Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler" (A. Einstein quote shared with me by micmacmo). The "trick", however, is determining the best combination of the least number of components to achieve the best SQ results For Me.  If anyone else benefits from anything I've done, all the better.

I don't think there's any chance that T50RP's with acoustic foam, alone, will top your Senns.

It's all good.

Quote:

Peace.

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #5,197 of 11,345
BTW, there's a shop near my place selling replacement earmuffs for the "Bilsom 718" for $1 a pair :)
83f2550373f2f19492aa30fbd5b57512.jpg

They advertize 23dB attenuation, and the thick foam discs are not glued, I will have to try slapping them into a brand new T50RP...maybe that'll give a paradoxical paradox, ya never know
mycrub.gif

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #5,198 of 11,345
Quote:

You need to do a complete set of mods for these if you want them to sound good at all. They sound like crap out of the box (I wouldn't pay $30 for them), and they'll sound like crap with just acoustic foam.

The 840 pads are a fantastic upgrade from stock in both comfort and sound quality. You do have to tune your mods a bit differently, but I think they have much more potential. They stock pads just did not work well with my ears at all (on a comfort, seal, and sound quality level).

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #5,199 of 11,345

Quote:
BTW, there's a shop near my place selling replacement earmuffs for the "Bilsom 718" for $1 a pair :)

They advertize 23dB attenuation, and the thick foam discs are not glued, I will have to try slapping them into a brand new T50RP...maybe that'll give a paradoxical paradox, ya never know
mycrub.gif

LOL!

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #5,200 of 11,345
Get the helmet too! That would make for nice driver transplant 
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

mycrub.gif

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #5,201 of 11,345

Quote:
I'm so jealous of you HDMan. You're in Australia, right? (Mentioned Jaycar.) There's only a 1/20 chance you're in Adelaide I guess. I would love to hear the Realiser.

When I received my T50RPs, I really thought that they are much too heavy. I weighed the headband assembly (without the plastic parts, screws), and it's something like 100 grams. You can save 50 g or so just by removing the grotty rubber. If people are already doing irreversible mods and adding a more comfortable strap, I think that it makes sense just to lose the rubber.

Yep, I'm in Australia, but sorry I am in the Tweed Heads area.

Good idea to lose the rubber headband, but for me I need it for the A8 Realiser's head tracking unit.

Quote:
Hmm.  Realiser > T50RPs.

HDMan, did you get the Stax with it?  Stax have an eerie sense of imaging that no dynamic that I've heard, save the R10s and Qualias, can match.  

I didn't get the Stax unit, it is an entry level model and I have read negative reviews regarding there amps. If I get a Stax setup, which I may in the near future, I will get an aftermarket Amp and a better model Stax headphone.

I am seriously considering as an upgrade to the T50RP, either a Stax set up, or the HE6, when money permits. I think for the time being though, the T50RP should suffice.

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #5,203 of 11,345
I'm not interested in the stock form either. My reasoning was simply that I don't want to use hard material that can vibrate or reflect sound. If they end up being unimpressive with simple modding I will get rid of them and stick with my Senns. I'm sorry but I put virtually no value on your subjective impressions. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #5,205 of 11,345
Quote:
I'm not interested in the stock form either. My reasoning was simply that I don't want to use hard material that can vibrate or reflect sound. If they end up being unimpressive with simple modding I will get rid of them and stick with my Senns. I'm sorry but I put virtually no value on your subjective impressions. 

You know that there have been certain modded T50RPs that have been measured, right? They need quite a few mods done to them, but they can certainly sound and measure out wonderfully. I think it's OK to be skeptical about subjective impressions, but there is more than just subjective impressions behind these mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back