Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Nov 22, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #4,996 of 11,345
Finally got the acoustipak lite! I've made macro comparison shots: http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/tfurpsnpf3r5452tbst0juwbav7n3gjs/

The biggest patch is the acoustipak, the smallest is the old Akasa(salvaged from a used PC) that's currently in my T50RP and the one in between is the Akasa that's currently for sale. It seems pretty clear that the old Akasa has bigger cells, then the new one's are smaller and by far the smallest ones are the AcoustiPak. They don't even have the same texture, both Akasa feel more "plasticky" than "foamy". This really looks like the real deal to me! I believe my old Akasa is the one every review on the web found useless for its original purpose(attenuate fans whining).

I will use newplast on the baffles and its surrounding seal, and I believe I will make some sort of "pyramid" going up to the height of the driver...then fill it w/ screwdrivers holes of course, remove the side vents, solder the cable directly onto the drivers, ditch the front driver felt, use my own felt instead and slap sa5k pads on it...et voilà
alphat.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #4,997 of 11,345
This might be kind of out of the blue, but I just finished (for now) up my t50rp's, and I just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to this topic. If it wasn't for all of the people of have continually posted about their experience with the fostex's, there is no way that I (or I imagine plenty of other people) would have been able to turn such an inexpensive set of headphones into such bliss.

Also, I read some where earlier in here that the Shure SRH940 pads wouldn't work on the t50rp's. I have them on mine right now; they fit and sound good. I have ordered a set of 840 pads to compare, and will post my findings.

If anyone is interested in trying the 940 pads, here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OM06RG/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

Cheers!

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #4,998 of 11,345
So you saying that you are getting good bass with the 940 pads? I own the SRH-940 and got a spare set of pads that I'll try tonight. In general it is recommended to have a good seal for the ortho driver to perform to their best.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
This might be kind of out of the blue, but I just finished (for now) up my t50rp's, and I just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to this topic. If it wasn't for all of the people of have continually posted about their experience with the fostex's, there is no way that I (or I imagine plenty of other people) would have been able to turn such an inexpensive set of headphones into such bliss.

Also, I read some where earlier in here that the Shure SRH940 pads wouldn't work on the t50rp's. I have them on mine right now; they fit and sound good. I have ordered a set of 840 pads to compare, and will post my findings.

If anyone is interested in trying the 940 pads, here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OM06RG/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

Cheers!

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #5,000 of 11,345
I finally finished my "Fat person T50RP." I call it Fat person because I borrowed many ideals from different mods and because it has fat headphone pad (sandwich Shure 840+T50RP). I re-cabled it with silver plated copper cable. It added some minor welcome changes in the treble but not too much. Overall very satisfied with the current setup and I will never ever, ever, ever open it upon again. I've spent obsessively way too much time modding this thing.
blink.gif
It will sounds really good when driven with enough power.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #5,001 of 11,345

Quote:
I got my T50RPs yesterday and I think they are really good headphones for $75.  However, compared to the fanboyism I've heard about them on this forum I think they are kind of "meh."  The low end is lacking a bit for my taste.  The top end is fairly smooth and linear, but there is a certain frequency band in the mid-to-high range that is a little irritating. 

I'm new to Orthos in general.  Do they require any break-in?  

I have them paired with the Schiit Asgard at the moment.

I don't think they're that hyped up stock-wise, it's just mainly the moddability which everyone goes nuts after.

That said, I still enjoy my stock T50RP's. I find I go to them the most out of all of my fullsize headphones simply because they have the least offensive sound signature.

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #5,003 of 11,345
Hm, I just found some small rolls of cotton earlier, but I'm not sure how much of it I should use. It seems to be really dense, but not in uniform cotton balls or anything.  I'd like to open up the cups as little as possible...

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #5,004 of 11,345
Spent about 3 1/2 hours applying felt to the rest of the inside of cups as well as earside (save for bass port):

To me now these sound too warm with too much midbass bloat.  Time to tune the vents I think.

EDIT:  Nope still massive issues with midrange resonances, and something very off sounding in the upper midrange - both muffled and peaky.  orchestral instruments just sound wrong.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #5,006 of 11,345
I've had a set of T50rp for a few months and I'm just starting to get the sound.  Like Soulsyde I find them to be a bit muffled and close sounding, even after a bit of slap-up (on my part) modding per common suggestions.  I'm comparing them with my (1000+ hours) Ultrasone Pro 900, which are known for their U shaped signature and great separation and imaging for a closed phone.  I adore the way the Pro900 cranks for rock, metal and electronic music and they're passable for acoustic music like classical, but on listening today it hits me (already!) how smooth the mids are on the T50rp.  The cornet has a prominent nasal sound with the Pro900, not so with the T50rp.  The more balanced signature of T50rp was made clear to me today on listening to African Virtuoses, a collection of wonderful acoustic guitar ensembles which were rather 'primitively' recorded, mid centric and lacking in any kind of frequency extension, which sounds dreadful on the Pro900 with its sucked out mids, but more even and quite listenable on the T50rp.  Voices are smoother and more forward with T50rp, or rather not distant and detached like with the Pro900.  Soprano voice is a tad thin and screechy on Pro900, but is full and mellifluous on the T50rp by comparison.

So far the Pro900 still kills it with staging and bass crank-a-bility, but now that I can *finally* hear some of the superior aspects of the T50rp, I hope to tweak it so that I can eventually replace the Pro900.  All I need to do is find some time...

As an aside, I'm speculating that the sucked-out mids of the Pro900 in fact adds to its relatively 'airy' character, apart from the S-logic design.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #5,007 of 11,345
Sorry to ask a question that I'm sure has been discussed before - on the 840 pads, remove the central foam, or leave it in place? Mine just arrived - I managed to squeeze them on the T50s leaving the foam in place, but it's holding the pads in a slightly oval shape.

For anyone who's waiting for updates on the 3D printing of the cups, here's where I currently am: printing cups isn't massively expensive from shapeways. There are various material options at different prices, but their standard plastic is something like €22 per cup for a very basic 100mm diameter open cup design I put together. This is without baffle. I still don't know if the plastic is rigid or dense enough to be usable, and I can't help but wonder if you'd be better off buying a 100mm pipe and chopping it to length, assuming you don't mind a circular profile. If I could get some 100mm brass pipe, I'd be going for that (and probably a steampunk look in the end). Making angled baffles is still quite an attractive proposition from a 3D printer, I think. Will keep you guys updated on my inevitably slow progress.

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #5,008 of 11,345
@flysweep-- The O2 pads have a disc of sorts that just slips out, no cutting needed to get the built in sheet out. Yes there is a noticable difference but im not sure I like it out yet. 

M

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #5,010 of 11,345
@ Drez, why do you have acoustic foam on the outside of the cups?

Quote:
O2 pad owners.. is there any (noticeable) difference/improvement when cutting out the fabric ear liner?

Like someone else said, you can just remove the disc.  And yes.  I haven't tried it with the T50rp but with other fostexen I have noticed a masking of fine detail from the dust protector.  You do want something in front of the drivers though, you don't want bare drivers as dirt can get inside then.  But something thinner like pantyhose may sound better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back