Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Nov 23, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #5,011 of 11,346
Can something like a Rolls PM50s personal amp be used as a decent way to get more power to these phones?  I'm asking because I happen to already have one...just never thought about using it from my computer.  These are typically used for a stage headphone monitor setup, or during recording.

http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=PM50s

Thoughts?

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #5,012 of 11,346
Hmm, should be doable. It's probably just a simple opamp circuit in there.

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #5,013 of 11,346
i remembered i had some speakers stuffed with some mineral wool and decided to take it out and cut it to stuff in my fostex. i stuffed layer of mineral wool and then cotton on top of the wool and it defiantly helped even more. much cleaner sounding and bass is now super tight like my 240DF's. imaging seem to improve bit more as well due to better absorption but still plan on making these balanced with a 4-pin XLR jack in the near future. that should improve it there going balanced and eliminating cross-talk. all my headphones are already balanced with a 4-pin XLR and hooked up to speaker outputs.

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #5,016 of 11,346
I have the miniMAX and I can couch that these love Hybrids. Perfect designs for these headphones (based on their current/voltage needs).

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RP2011B.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPDIYModifiedLFFParadox.pdf

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #5,018 of 11,346
i just bought some wire for my recable from ebay seller "navships": http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-26-AWG-Shielded-Silver-Teflon-Wire-4-Twisted-M27500-/230691621592?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4409534362023599716#ht_500wt_1413 .  4 wire for dual entry.

while i don't have a wire fetish, i think thinner gauge 24-26awg SPC does sound a bit brighter/thinner than thicker 20-22awg SPC.  

i also ripped out the felt tonight and am just experimenting with teased cotton balls. 

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #5,019 of 11,346

Quote:
@ Drez, why do you have acoustic foam on the outside of the cups?

Like someone else said, you can just remove the disc.  And yes.  I haven't tried it with the T50rp but with other fostexen I have noticed a masking of fine detail from the dust protector.  You do want something in front of the drivers though, you don't want bare drivers as dirt can get inside then.  But something thinner like pantyhose may sound better. 

trying to boost up the the pads.

Since then I have changed to 2X transpore on back of driver and that seems to have fixed the midrange distortions.  I think with some thicker pads these should really sound very good; ridiculously good for $75 anyway.  

I would say that save for the bass response and a little lack of soundstage (probably due to the pads) these are easily on par with the LCD-2.  I will have to take it down to the local music store to show it off 
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #5,020 of 11,346
The stock pads seal horribly. Get 840 pads and elevate them for more balanced frequency response and highly reccomended seal for sub-bass you didn't know these had.

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #5,021 of 11,346
seal is usually the most important to trap the sub-bass and to add bit better imagery you can have the pads angle a bit. i tested some good competition bass tracks on these that digs down to 20hz territory and mine handles it like a champ. there is no form of any accentuation from the sub-bass to all up to the mid-bass and rolls off naturally like it's suppose to. these can handle power well as well cause i checked to see if there was any type of resonance at high power sub-bass and mid-bass outputs and had these things vibrating on the table. surprise how much power they can handle and i didn't blow them running it off of speaker outputs.

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #5,022 of 11,346

Quote:
Like someone else said, you can just remove the disc.  And yes.  I haven't tried it with the T50rp but with other fostexen I have noticed a masking of fine detail from the dust protector.  You do want something in front of the drivers though, you don't want bare drivers as dirt can get inside then.  But something thinner like pantyhose may sound better. 

the drivers have a thin/stiff "transparent" covering, but i don't think it's the most durable for heavy beating.  i would be concerned as well if your ears are touching the material, transferring oils/dirt.  the problem is that every foam disc i've tried, from AKG to Beyer degrades the sonics.  thanks for the pantyhose idea.  i'm already imagining the odd looks i'm going to get in the department store, holding up various pantyhose brands to the light to check for acoustic transparency.   

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #5,023 of 11,346
speaker cloth can work if you have any left over speaker grills around the house. they're pretty much transparent and will help keep any outside dust and oils out. i always use my extra speaker grills to make cut outs and use them when i have to.

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #5,024 of 11,346

Originally Posted by drez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

these are easily on par with the LCD-2.  I will have to take it down to the local music store to show it off 
biggrin.gif

Ahhhh, just when I'm thinking more and more of getting a second hand Rev.2
evil_smiley.gif

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

every foam disc i've tried, from AKG to Beyer degrades the sonics.

Agreed, the beyer foam really doesn't work. How about plain ole felt? this one gives great bass and filters pretty much all shrillness:

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #5,025 of 11,346

Quote:
trying to boost up the the pads.

Since then I have changed to 2X transpore on back of driver and that seems to have fixed the midrange distortions.  I think with some thicker pads these should really sound very good; ridiculously good for $75 anyway.  

I would say that save for the bass response and a little lack of soundstage (probably due to the pads) these are easily on par with the LCD-2.  I will have to take it down to the local music store to show it off 
biggrin.gif

No, I mean why do you have acoustic foam on the back of the cups (not the baffles).  I can imagine some reasons for this, I'm just curious what yours are. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back