Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Nov 17, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #4,846 of 11,345

You mean the Rastapant 2?
Quote:
Craft felt covering the whole of the back of the driver is what makes this mod, everything else with the exception of adding mass (of your choice) , though less is more in my opinion, to kill resonance is peripheral,   

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #4,847 of 11,345

Quote:
Craft felt covering the whole of the back of the driver is what makes this mod, everything else with the exception of adding mass (of your choice) , though less is more in my opinion, to kill resonance is peripheral,   

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #4,848 of 11,345

Similar, the Faust mod also, my point is , and this is my personal conclusion after trying out many configurations the starting point is to add the felt to the back of the driver on top of the white lint material.
Then add the mass to the cup and have a listen, other pad variations can improve things though I prefer the stock pads, re-cabling certainly improves connectivity and sound quality as well.  

Quote:

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #4,849 of 11,345
I have tried the stiff felt behind the driver on top of stock white felt and found the sound to be very congest. I had also other variation in the cup including Dynamat, Paxmate & plasticine that might had a negative impact. 

Have you tried removing the white felt and just put the stiff felt?  This is my next step but I currently rolled back and got simple mod that seem to work quite well. The pads are a big factor in my opinion.

Quote:
Similar, the Faust mod also, my point is , and this is my personal conclusion after trying out many configurations the starting point is to add the felt to the back of the driver on top of the white lint material.
Then add the mass to the cup and have a listen, other pad variations can improve things though I prefer the stock pads, re-cabling certainly improves connectivity and sound quality as well.  

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #4,850 of 11,345

No, the white lint material is intact, its just there to protect bits from getting into the driver imo, the felt I used was 1/16 thick and best described as neither stiff nor floppy but high quality and of the inter-woven type similar to whats on the front of the driver.
Never had any sound congestion problems, in fact the complete opposite, separation, detail and spatiality is superb, my source is an imod with a Stepdance amp using the line out with a silver LOD.

te:
I have tried the stiff felt behind the driver on top of stock white felt and found the sound to be very congest. I had also other variation in the cup including Dynamat, Paxmate & plasticine that might had a negative impact. 

Have you tried removing the white felt and just put the stiff felt?  This is my next step but I currently rolled back and got simple mod that seem to work quite well. The pads are a big factor in my opinion.

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #4,851 of 11,345
By white lint you mean the very thin screen not the white opaque felt? (sorry for all the ?) have you tried to blow air through the felt and was it more restrictive than the stock white felt?  In my case the stiff felt to my surprise was less restrictive and allow better breathing then my other type of felts.

Quote:
No, the white lint material is intact, its just there to protect bits from getting into the driver imo, the felt I used was 1/16 thick and best described as neither stiff nor floppy but high quality and of the inter-woven type similar to whats on the front of the driver.
Never had any sound congestion problems, in fact the complete opposite, separation, detail and spatiality is superb, my source is an imod with a Stepdance amp using the line out with a silver LOD.

te:

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #4,852 of 11,345

I mean the white lint attached to the back of the driver not the external black felt, yes it is opaque and serves as a dust cover for the driver.

Quote:
By white lint you mean the very thin screen not the white opaque felt? (sorry for all the ?) have you tried to blow air through the felt and was it more restrictive than the stock white felt?  In my case the stiff felt to my surprise was less restrictive and allow better breathing then my other type of felts.

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #4,853 of 11,345

Over-damping is causing the sound congestion imo, dynamat, plastacine and paxmate is way over the top, dynamat is nasty stuff though serves a purpose when used with cotton wool to avoid reflections.
I Markl modded my sons Denon 5000 with dynamat and then added cotton wool, the net effect was very good indeed, controlled and tightened the bass, but the denon cups are wooden and much deeper than the fostex.
I would certainly not entertain using dynamat with anything other than cotton wool, particularly with plastic cups.

Quote:

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #4,854 of 11,345
Quote:
Not exactly a bomb...but yeah...you get the idea.

You know what would be really helpful & awesome?  Even if you did not share the specific materials you use and the order of those materials; maybe you could share your general philosophy for damping the phones; that way we could use it as a guideline for our experimenting.  

As it is I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish by keeping it a secret, but that's really none of my business and I don't mean to press nor do I have any qualms with it.  It's just a curious thing in my mind.

Anyhow, if you could either post that, or point us to what you feel is a good source of knowledge on damping properly, then kudos man.

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #4,855 of 11,345

Ya I did the same thing to my D5000 but I found the result was better on my previous Denon the D2000. I do not understand your concern with plastic cup because after covering them cup with Dynamat (it's actually another brand i used on the T50rp and it seems to be thinner) the cup being wood or plastic is now damp by the Dynamat goo and the thin metal as the same effect nomatter the cup material. I am using a thick wool felt on top of the dynamat but I'm considering adding so loose cotton wool (ball) on next alteration. I'm Paxmate free on my current config and so far so good. 

Quote:
Over-damping is causing the sound congestion imo, dynamat, plastacine and paxmate is way over the top, dynamat is nasty stuff though serves a purpose when used with cotton wool to avoid reflections.
I Markl modded my sons Denon 5000 with dynamat and then added cotton wool, the net effect was very good indeed, controlled and tightened the bass, but the denon cups are wooden and much deeper than the fostex.
I would certainly not entertain using dynamat with anything other than cotton wool, particularly with plastic cups.

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #4,857 of 11,345
For the benefit of others (and myself, I suppose), I'd like to report how the changes to my T50RP's are fairing....

I started with the stock T50RP and jumped in with a "Rastapants 2" mod scheme.  My initial post on it was here (including pictures), so all additional mods are since that posting.  At that time, I had reported that the overall sound was much improved from stock, but the mids were overpowering (to me) and the highs were recessed.  Bass was doing fine, if a bit heavy.

Here's what I've done since...
  1. Removed paxmate and foam covering the earcup vents.  Now there is a piece of Gorilla Tape covering 3 of the 4 vents. I did not replace the paxmate or foam in that small area.
  2. Removed the stiff felt from over the earcup-side of the driver (modeling clay side)
  3. Removed a small piece of tape covering the center square (of 9 total) from the earcup-side of the driver -- this was a later, temporary mod
  4. Removed the horrible and crappy 6' mini-jack extension cable between my headphones and computer!
  5. Added a square of lighter, less-dense felt over the entire earcup-side of the driver
  6. Added about (3) teased cotton balls into each earcup -- spread evenly
  7. Added some double-height acoustic foam strips to the rear of the ear pads -- to give a slight forward tilt

The results?  I've improved almost every aspect of these phones that I set out to improve.  Highs are great and no longer recessed.  Mids are forward, but no longer overpowering.  Lows are present, but not in spades.  Sounds very *true* and accurate at this point, rather than coming across as a "colored" sound signature.

What would I still change?  At this point, I would probably like just a tad more low end, but that's about it.  I'm very sensitive to bass bloat, so too much is worse for me than not enough.

What's next?  I guess I'm just going to sit back and enjoy these for awhile.  Honestly, I was far from impressed with the T50RP's when I got them, but I'm recognizing their beauty now -- especially for modability (is that a word?) and clean, accurate sound -- which is what I like.  Also, next week I'm going to fiddle around with a lathe and try to make some new ear cups out of a nice cherry wood -- along with some maple baffles.  Should be fun!  I'd also like to try the Plastic Pantz mod.  So awesome looking! :)

Thanks, everyone, for your continued help.

Yip

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #4,859 of 11,345

He did say " earcup-side of the driver (modeling clay side)" so he probably meant the back side of the driver.

Good information yipcanjo and thanks for sharing with us. Would you be able to snap a picture of the back of the driver with the new felt?  (or from another piece of the same felt. I know how hard those srh-840 pads are to put back on 
confused_face.gif
)

Quote:
What do you mean by earcup side?  The front (where your ears are) or the back (where the cups are, where the driver damping is)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back