Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 27, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #4,247 of 11,345

Quote:
`So what effect did the 6-7 cotton balls have on the sound?

And some pictures showing how to do it properly will be great 
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #4,248 of 11,345
 i have been using your mod for a long time. except i used micropore instead of transpore, as you know. i think i got used to the sound of transpore, it doesn't seem bright at all now, it's just that the sound is more detailed and the bass is cleaner than before.
i want to replace the earpads but i can't find Fischer 003 earpads on ebay and amazon, someone here said shure pads don't sound different than lifted stock pads, and O2 at 120$ is too much for earpads IMO. are there any other options?
Sennheiser HD 280, Solo Beats and ATH-M50 pads look good, but did anyone try them before? do they even fit the T50RP?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Replacement-Earpads-Earpads-HD280Pro-pr-/180736466994?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item2a14bba032
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Ear-Pad-ATH-M50-Ear-Pad-ea-/110750775808?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item19c942ba00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EAR-PADS-SOLO-MONSTER-BEATS-DR-DRE-Headphone-PADS-AUTHENTIC-PRODUCT-/330631640222?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4cfb2e749e

Quote:
I have one set like this:

1. Super mass loaded plasticine in the back of the baffles
2. Paxmate Plus in the bottom of the cups, not on the cup walls or central compartment that houses the main screw for the headband hangers
3. Stock black bass port felt uncovered
4. 2 layers of 3M flexible clear (Transpore) tape on the back of the drivers after removing the stock white driver felt
5. 1/2 inch roll of gauze 2 inches long under the back of each stock ear pad; held in place temporarily with electrical tape

This offers a lot of bass that does not bleed into the midrange, clear midrange vocals that are neither too forward nor too recessed, and crystal clear highs with sparkle on high hats, chimes, and bells. It's actually got too much bass for me so I tuned it down with Paxmate over 3 of the 4 bass port slots. Another bass tuning approach would be to add another 1/2 layer or full layer of Transpore tape over the back of the drivers but this might effect the mids and/or treble.  Worth a try, but I know closing 3 of 4 bass port slots works for me.

Keep at it until you get it to sound the way you like.

Oct 27, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #4,250 of 11,345

Quote:
 i have been using your mod for a long time. except i used micropore instead of transpore, as you know. i think i got used to the sound of transpore, it doesn't seem bright at all now, it's just that the sound is more detailed and the bass is cleaner than before.
i want to replace the earpads but i can't find Fischer 003 earpads on ebay and amazon, someone here said shure pads don't sound different than lifted stock pads, and O2 at 120$ is too much for earpads IMO. are there any other options?
Sennheiser HD 280, Solo Beats and ATH-M50 pads look good, but did anyone try them before? do they even fit the T50RP?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Replacement-Earpads-Earpads-HD280Pro-pr-/180736466994?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item2a14bba032
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Ear-Pad-ATH-M50-Ear-Pad-ea-/110750775808?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item19c942ba00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EAR-PADS-SOLO-MONSTER-BEATS-DR-DRE-Headphone-PADS-AUTHENTIC-PRODUCT-/330631640222?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4cfb2e749e

I could be wrong but some of those earpads are too small for the Fostex T50RP.

On a side note these little buggers are hard to get. I nearly had a heart attack when I notice the restock date change from 10-26-2011 to 12-2-2011 on my order from Front End Audio. Lucky for me that only applies to new orders and mine should be shipping out soon.

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #4,251 of 11,345
Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster....well, on this thread at least.

Got my first pair of T50RP's about a week ago. Now up to page 180 on this thread and still going.

Before I start modding I have a couple questions...

1-Just what is so special about the AKASA/Pax-mate foam? That is, is it sound transparent or absorptive? I know everyone is getting good results using it to damp the cups, but I'm not sure exactly what it's doing. It seems a little light to mass damp the plastic housing so I'm assuming it's absorbing the reflections in the cup.

2-Bearing the above question in mind....has anyone tried disassembling the cup and spraying a thin layer of damping coating on the cups ala "Quiet-Kote" ?  

I'm thinking that adding a coating to the plastic cup will dampen resonances and the texture will cut down on reflections without removing to much of the volume. After that I'm thinking adding some sort of loose fiber-fill to effectively increase the "space" (not sure if right term, but like a speaker does).

Let me know what y'all think.
-Dogwan

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #4,252 of 11,345
So here's a question for all you guys.

I sat at my Bijou tube amp last night and really had a close listen to my Dahminators.  I was focusing on everything, and trying to compare to how all these the sounds should sound like in real life.  Here's what I found:

- There is a bit of lack of detail in the highs.  I'm afraid if I push the highs further though, I will lose some great qualities

- The mids and upper mids sound very close to reality.  They are just a tad darker, but it gives you the feeling that the piano, singers, instruments are all in the room with you.  Does anyone know how I can brighten the mids a VERY SMALL AMOUNT, while retaining their extremely natural quality?

- The bass is a bit too present.  It could tone it down slightly.

Here's why I don't want to close the bass port anymore than I already have in order to fix these minor issues:

Closing the bass port more than about 2/3rd of the way takes away a lot of the natural sounds that I get in the mids and highs.  Things start sounding like they are coming from inside a tin can, and they lose their body. 

So, if someone has another idea that will retail all the lush natural sound I get, but can tone the bass down slightly, and boost treble ever so slightly, I'd be open to ideas.

Thanks!

EDIT:  Here's my current setup:

- Acoustic foam lining the inside of the cups
- Plasticine filled in the baffles, and lots of it (not overdamping)
- Black Creatology felt glued in place of the stock white foam, 1 single layer
- Bass port felt untouched but port is closed about 2/3rds of the way (maybe a bit more) with electrical tape on the outside of the cup
- Stock black felt on the ear side of the baffle has been removed
- Dynamat on the ear side of the baffle
- Two layers of acoustic foam doughnuts over the Dynamat on the ear side of the baffle
- Shure 840 pads with center foam cut out of them
- Leather belt AKG K701-style headband

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #4,253 of 11,345

Quote:
On a side note these little buggers are hard to get. I nearly had a heart attack when I notice the restock date change from 10-26-2011 to 12-2-2011 on my order from Front End Audio. Lucky for me that only applies to new orders and mine should be shipping out soon.

Sounds like we're in the same boat, I ordered from Front End about a week ago, and am waiting for my shipping notice.

Yesterday, I went there, and noticed they had changed the date from 10/26 to 10/28, so I figured the shipment got delayed by a couple of days.  Hoping the delay won't be longer.

Randy

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #4,254 of 11,345
I know exactly what you mean about the sound coming from a tin can when all 4 bass port slots are covered with your mods configuration. I don't know if you've tried this, or not. It's reversible back to what you currently have in place if it does not work for you.

Assuming you have only 1 layer of acoustic foam in the bottom of the cups:

Add a full layer of stiffened craft felt to the full single layer you now have in place and test. If that knocks out too much mids and treble, take off the full second layer and try felt on all 4 corners vs on grid squares 2, 4, 6, and 8 vs 2, 4, 5, 6, and 8. This will require at least 4 openings/closings to determine if one of these configurations works, or not. Another variable to try is to add a reflex dot to the center grid if none of the other configurations work; then tune the bass ports with stock black felt in place: uncovered, then with 1, 2, and finally 3 slots covered on the outside with acoustic foam.

If that does not do it for you, take off the stiffened felt from the back of the drivers. Apply 2 layers of 3M flexible clear (Transpore) tape to the back of the drivers. Cover 3 bass port slots with Paxmate or similar acoustic foam on the outside. Then, compare uncovered, with 1 and then 3 slots covered. A reflex dot is also an option as is 3 layers or 2.5 layers of 3M Transpore tape. As I posted above, I get very satisfying results with 2 layers of 3M Transpore on the back of the drivers, generous mass loading the baffles with plasticine, 1 layer of Paxmate Plus in the cups, and covering 3 of 4 bass port slots with Paxmate (with the stock black felt in place). The bass is clean, the mids are clear, and the upper range extension is better than what I get with a similar configuration with stock white driver felt.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention the 1/2" roll of gauze 2" long under the back side of the ear pads. I'm listening to Sade's "Please Send Me Someone to Love" on this set right now. There is a kick drum at 2 seconds and the bass is fully present but controlled there and throughout the song. There is the sound of coins falling into a pile from 4 -12 seconds down to a single coin hitting the stack that I previously heard only from seconds 5-9. At 2 minutes and 8 seconds there is a run of chimes followed immediately by single chime strike; very clear and non-fatiguing. The mids-vocals are clear and center stage. Altogether a pleasing and balanced sound.

EDIT: I just opened this set up to verify the configuration. All described above is accurate but I forgot the following:  Paxmate Plus not only in the bottom of the cups but also on the cup walls, Paxmate Plus in the cup outer ring, and the central housing for the headband hanger screw is not covered.

Quote:
So here's a question for all you guys.

I sat at my Bijou tube amp last night and really had a close listen to my Dahminators.  I was focusing on everything, and trying to compare to how all these the sounds should sound like in real life.  Here's what I found:

- There is a bit of lack of detail in the highs.  I'm afraid if I push the highs further though, I will lose some great qualities

- The mids and upper mids sound very close to reality.  They are just a tad darker, but it gives you the feeling that the piano, singers, instruments are all in the room with you.  Does anyone know how I can brighten the mids a VERY SMALL AMOUNT, while retaining their extremely natural quality?

- The bass is a bit too present.  It could tone it down slightly.

Here's why I don't want to close the bass port anymore than I already have in order to fix these minor issues:

Closing the bass port more than about 2/3rd of the way takes away a lot of the natural sounds that I get in the mids and highs.  Things start sounding like they are coming from inside a tin can, and they lose their body. 

So, if someone has another idea that will retail all the lush natural sound I get, but can tone the bass down slightly, and boost treble ever so slightly, I'd be open to ideas.

Thanks!

EDIT:  Here's my current setup:

- Acoustic foam lining the inside of the cups
- Plasticine filled in the baffles, and lots of it (not overdamping)
- Black Creatology felt glued in place of the stock white foam, 1 single layer
- Bass port felt untouched but port is closed about 2/3rds of the way (maybe a bit more) with electrical tape on the outside of the cup
- Stock black felt on the ear side of the baffle has been removed
- Dynamat on the ear side of the baffle
- Two layers of acoustic foam doughnuts over the Dynamat on the ear side of the baffle
- Shure 840 pads with center foam cut out of them
- Leather belt AKG K701-style headband

Oct 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #4,255 of 11,345
Hooray! New ideas!

I don't think anyone has posted about trying your ideas. I say, "Go For It!"  and tell us about the results.

Paxmate Plus and similar acoustic foams do not mass load but do absorb reflections.  Plasticine, Newplast, tungsten putty, Dynamat, etc. mechanically mass load the baffles. Some have used these materials in the cups, too.

Arnaud posted some interesting information and graphs about these topics 20 or 30 pages back, including loose filler to increase the effective size or space of the cups.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Got my first pair of T50RP's about a week ago. Now up to page 180 on this thread and still going.

Before I start modding I have a couple questions...

1-Just what is so special about the AKASA/Pax-mate foam? That is, is it sound transparent or absorptive? I know everyone is getting good results using it to damp the cups, but I'm not sure exactly what it's doing. It seems a little light to mass damp the plastic housing so I'm assuming it's absorbing the reflections in the cup.

2-Bearing the above question in mind....has anyone tried disassembling the cup and spraying a thin layer of damping coating on the cups ala "Quiet-Kote" ?  

I'm thinking that adding a coating to the plastic cup will dampen resonances and the texture will cut down on reflections without removing to much of the volume. After that I'm thinking adding some sort of loose fiber-fill to effectively increase the "space" (not sure if right term, but like a speaker does).

-Dogwan

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #4,257 of 11,345
A good cleaning will probably do it--the problem in the connection is pretty well-documented and consistent.

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #4,258 of 11,345

Quote:
Hi everyone,

-Dogwan

Welcome Dogwan.

I've thought about it, I think it's a great idea. I was looking at edead and silent running. I was thinking edead and brushing it in, but Quiet-Kote on the inside and outside is a possibility too. The only problem is it's irreversible, so it's a mod that requires commitment. Waiting on some Shure 840 pads at the moment.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #4,260 of 11,345
Quote:

Over in the Ortho thread, rhythmdevils said that he's having good success with paper coffee filters over the back of the drivers. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I think Fostex was onto something putting thin porous paper (ish) stuff behind their more recent orthos including the T20v2 and T50rp.  I've been playing with coffee filters and they are my new favorite damping material.  I'm going to be getting a bunch of different porous papers to try if I can source that somewhere.  I'm thinking an online art store or something.  But coffee filters do a much better job than the tapes IME.  They bring out more treble while bringing out less upper midrange peaks.  And IME they do not constrict the soundstage any more than a thin piece of felt would when placed on the back of the driver.  I've been using the coffee filter instead of the first layer of felt in the typical damping scheme, so driver-paper-foam-felt-cups.  They work so well at bringing out treble that they can actually get my YH3 to have elevated treble without much of an elevated midrange.  Which is a first for me.  I actually get some sibilance unless I use a donut instead of a disc, so I'm going to try to find some slightly more porous paper. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back