Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #4,051 of 11,345
Good for you.  I'm glad the mods are working for you.  Did you Super Mass Load the baffles, too? I think this makes a major difference in SQ.

Did you save the white driver felt?  If so, rubber cement it back on.  If not, you'll need to try many combinations/variations of tape or felt to find what works best for you.  I've posted my impressions of many materials, if that helps point you in the right direction.  

Extra padded or "lifted" stock pads and Shure 840 pads sound pretty much the same to me.  I heard no loss of bass, mids, or treble with stock and no gains with 840 pads. They're roughly the same in comfort to me.  The stock pads are free and easier to put on.  The Shure pads look nicer to me and go for about $15. 

I don't know about Original Dynamat.  It has no goo and no foil??  What's it designed for?  

Quote:
bluemonkeyflyer,

Thanks first off for all of the work! I just installed most of your BMF#5 on one of my pairs that already had dynamat original and paxmate in the cups. I had removed the original white felt on the drivers, so I used 2 layers of 3M Transpore and the large reflex dot. The sound of this pair of headphones is very good. I have not added the cotton balls or gauze to build up the pads yet, but will do that as well as trying Shure 840 pads on it (using the stock pads right now). I may also try a layer of Dynamat Original covered by Paxmate on the ear side, or I may add one or 2 small pieces of Transpore to bump the high end just a touch. Not sure yet on which way I will go.

On another subject, do you or anyone else have any thoughts on Dynamat Original versus Extreme? I have Original (1.7mm thick, no foil or goo). 

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #4,052 of 11,345
I believe the original dynamt is asphalt based and is primarily a mass loader with a bit of vibe absorption (while the newer stuff is more the opposite). Since it doesn't have a foil backing, it might actually be a good substitute for people using dynamat on the rear of the cups so they won't have that harsh metal surface reflecting back. 

Oct 19, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #4,053 of 11,345
Just re-iterating my question from a few pages back - what would happen if you were to transplant the damping foam (it's about 1cm thick, in the pair I have on-hand) from inside a pair of sound-isolating earmuffs into the T50RP?

Oct 19, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #4,054 of 11,345

Quote:
Just re-iterating my question from a few pages back - what would happen if you were to transplant the damping foam (it's about 1cm thick, in the pair I have on-hand) from inside a pair of sound-isolating earmuffs into the T50RP?

That you would need bigger cups, because the drivers wouldn't have enough chamber behind them, causing a huge change in sound and I assume in a negative way.

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #4,055 of 11,345
Here is a link to a pdf that shows the specs for Original Dynamat. Yes, I mass loaded the baffles using actual Plasticine. No, I do not have the original white driver felt. So far, I am getting good results with the 3M Transpore. I think I just need to ad a couple more pieces, or maybe dynamat the ear side to tweak the high frequencies just a bit.

http://www.dynamat.com/technical_specs_dynamat_original.html

Quote:
Good for you.  I'm glad the mods are working for you.  Did you Super Mass Load the baffles, too? I think this makes a major difference in SQ.

Did you save the white driver felt?  If so, rubber cement it back on.  If not, you'll need to try many combinations/variations of tape or felt to find what works best for you.  I've posted my impressions of many materials, if that helps point you in the right direction.  

Extra padded or "lifted" stock pads and Shure 840 pads sound pretty much the same to me.  I heard no loss of bass, mids, or treble with stock and no gains with 840 pads. They're roughly the same in comfort to me.  The stock pads are free and easier to put on.  The Shure pads look nicer to me and go for about $15. 

I don't know about Original Dynamat.  It has no goo and no foil??  What's it designed for?   

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #4,056 of 11,345

Quote:
LFF, BMF, mrspeakers, etc...

How do your T50's sound to your neighbors? (The person sitting next to you).

I've read through this topic but being as there are over 4000 posts, I am sure this has been mentioned and just skim passed by me. I am waiting for my pair of FA-011 to arrive in the mail, but need a pair of phones that I can listen to on the train. I am debating ordering the T50's (I DO plan on modding the heck out of them), but I am worried that they are going to blow the people sitting next to me on the train up.

Thoughts?

I have only heard mine (Paradox) and mrspeakers (RastaPants2), a RastaPants1 and another members mods.

If you are using the O2 pads, the sound will leak a bit more than usual. As for mine, I can wear my Paradox to bed. Despite my wife being less than a foot away at times, she can't hear anything from my headphones and I do play them a bit loud. I get absolutely no sound leakage. The isolation greatly depends on what pads you use as well as if you do anything to the ports.

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #4,057 of 11,345

Quote:
I believe the original dynamt is asphalt based and is primarily a mass loader with a bit of vibe absorption (while the newer stuff is more the opposite). Since it doesn't have a foil backing, it might actually be a good substitute for people using dynamat on the rear of the cups so they won't have that harsh metal surface reflecting back. 

If you cover the foil with paxmate there is no reflection.  The paxmate has a solid adhesive backing, too.  So properly installed this is a non-issue.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #4,058 of 11,345

Quote:

If you cover the foil with paxmate there is no reflection.  The paxmate has a solid adhesive backing, too.  So properly installed this is a non-issue. 

Well of course, you stick paxmate on anything and you won't have to worry about the surfaces. But for those who don't have the paxmate/etc, the original might be an option. It's also cheaper and easier (somewhat) to work with. 

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #4,059 of 11,345
From the Dynamat link you posted:

Dynamat Xtreme:

The acoustic loss factor "n" is used as a measure of a material's ability to damp structure-borne sound by stating how much vibrational energy (in steel sheets for instance) is converted to heat rather than sound. For constructions containing several layers of damping material, the combined loss factor "n comb" is used. The theoretical maximum loss factor is 1 (no vibration). An undamped 1mm thick steel panel has a loss factor of roughly 0.001 at 200 Hz. Dynamat Xtreme applied to that panel would increase the loss factor to 0.417 @ +20°C (+68°F). Multiple layers of Dynamat Xtreme improve sound damping even more.

Dynamat Original:

The acoustic loss factor "n" is used as a measure of a material's ability to damp structure-borne sound by stating how much vibrational energy (in steel sheets for instance) is converted to heat rather than sound. For constructions containing several layers of damping material, the combined loss factor "n comb" is used. The theoretical maximum loss factor is 1 (no vibration). An undamped 1mm thick steel panel has a loss factor of roughly 0.001 at 200 Hz. Dynamat Original applied to that panel would increase the loss factor to 0.14 @ +50°F (+10°C). Multiple layers of Dynamat Original improve sound damping even more.

This suggests that Dynamat Xtreme is more effective than Dynamat Original and that multiple layers may be better than a single layer.

After the stock white driver felt is removed, I have found that 1 layer of stiffened felt produces too much bass for me and 2 layers muffle the mids and treble. In my opinion, 1.5 to 2.0 layers of 3M Transpore approximates but is not quite as good as the performance of the stock driver felt.

I like the basic sound signature of the T50RP and prefer to improve it with reversible mods rather than alter it with irreversible mods.

Quote:
Here is a link to a pdf that shows the specs for Original Dynamat. Yes, I mass loaded the baffles using actual Plasticine. No, I do not have the original white driver felt. So far, I am getting good results with the 3M Transpore. I think I just need to ad a couple more pieces, or maybe dynamat the ear side to tweak the high frequencies just a bit.

http://www.dynamat.com/technical_specs_dynamat_original.html 

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #4,060 of 11,345
At 80 to 90 dB, there is very little sound leakage from my mods with only the stock black felt in place over the otherwise uncovered bass ports.  I'm guessing you would get better isolation from ambient sound if you install Dynamat on the inside of the cups and insure you have a good seal all the way around the ear pads.  If you add a layer of Paxmate over the cup Dynamat, you will further reduce cup volume and may need to make other mod adjustments to achieve the sound you are looking for.  As always, you will only know if you try it for yourself.

Quote:
LFF, BMF, mrspeakers, etc...

How do your T50's sound to your neighbors? (The person sitting next to you).

I've read through this topic but being as there are over 4000 posts, I am sure this has been mentioned and just skim passed by me. I am waiting for my pair of FA-011 to arrive in the mail, but need a pair of phones that I can listen to on the train. I am debating ordering the T50's (I DO plan on modding the heck out of them), but I am worried that they are going to blow the people sitting next to me on the train up.

Thoughts?

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #4,063 of 11,345

Quote:

Link! They're dynamics, not orthos.

1.5 Tesla !  That is better then the T1 from Beyerdynamic. Pretty impressive 
basshead.gif

They have the headband of the Denon and the cups shape from JVC.

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #4,064 of 11,345
Its a shame that they're dynamic, because I've really fallen in love with the way the ortho's sound.  Its way more natural especially in the mids.

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #4,065 of 11,345

Quote:
Its a shame that they're dynamic, because I've really fallen in love with the way the ortho's sound.  Its way more natural especially in the mids.

+1

I was just telling another member about how I haven't touched a dynamic headphone in quite some time. Orthos (and a Stax Lambda set I'm borrowing from another member) have been all I've been listening to for the past month at least. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back