Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 18, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #4,021 of 11,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Everyone must try a mod and draw their own conclusions, not rely on what someone else says or what test equipment and charts might show. "If it sounds good to you, it sounds good to you" and the opposite is also true.

I agree. Every single person who has PM'd me has received the same advice. Try a few mods and trust your ears.

If you try a RastaPants2 and love the results...AWESOME! If you try a BMF # x and love the results....AWESOME!

It was merely pure luck and coincidence that I loved the results of my Paradox and that they happened to measure well - I simply tried some new things and tuned them by ear. I was clueless about the results until Purrin said "wow". Even then I still feared they might measure poorly. If they had measured poorly, I'm sure Purrin would have posted the results anyway and I'm sure he would have been rather blunt about it. I certainly would not have objected to it, especially since Purrin volunteered his time and know-how. Regardless, I would still be a happy camper because they sound awesome to me and charts would serve to help people know what they were getting into if they decided to do a similar mod.

I''ve been messing around with mine today, changing things up, experimenting with the dampening inside the cups, reapplying some fabric that I had over the driver, and removing the 2 layers of snuggy dryer sheets that were on them. The other day I paxmated the earside of the baffle and I thought it sounded a bit to dark, so I removed the tweed like fabric I had covering the drivers, and just had the stock felt. That made them sound to bright. So I messed around with some different configurations, snuggy sheets being one. Long story short I removed some of the paxmate that I had in the cup. Took out the strips that laid in those little buckets on the left and the right and replaced it with stiff craft felt. Then I cut a cotton ball in half stretched it out and laid it in there. Replaced the snuggy dryer sheets and put the tweed back. They sound pretty good. One question though for those that might know. All things being equal how do the 840 pads change the presentation versus the stock ones?

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #4,022 of 11,345

Quote:
I did not consider sanding.  The work space is small.  I hate sanding.

I use a dremel for fine sanding jobs, but only after carefully taping up the drivers so nothing gets in.

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #4,023 of 11,345
Doh!  I have a Dremel I bought for cutting out the drivers from the baffles to transplant into Smeggy TP1's!  I didn't think of that.

I'm gonna try it ... right ... now.  Thanks, also, for the tip about masking taping over the drivers to keep the dust out.

Quote:

I use a dremel for fine sanding jobs, but only after carefully taping up the drivers so nothing gets in.

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #4,024 of 11,345
So, just a random thought - what would happen if you transplanted all of that acoustic damping foam in a pair of noise-isolating earmuffs into one of these?  I would presume nothing good, seeing as how there's so freaking much of it in there, but does anyone know what the effects of such a mod would be?

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #4,025 of 11,345
What's a good source for dynamat but a small quantity of it? I'd like to try out the most recent BMF mods on a T50RP but I would not use dynamat other than for this application. Would the FS be my best bet or if someone here would want to sell a small amount to me?

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #4,026 of 11,345

Quote:
What's a good source for dynamat but a small quantity of it? I'd like to try out the most recent BMF mods on a T50RP but I would not use dynamat other than for this application. Would the FS be my best bet or if someone here would want to sell a small amount to me?

You can find them at car audio shops, usually like 1.5 dollars per square foot.

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #4,028 of 11,345
this is what i got, i think itl be enough...

http://www.fatmat.com/kits/fatmat/license.html

M

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #4,029 of 11,345

Quote:
You have O2 pads so you can do this! I am mildly jealous.. Need O2 pads... Need O2 pads..

Where can i find O2 pads? Been looking high and low but cant seem to find it.

Meanwhile, I have ordered the Shure HPAEC840 ear pads. Hope they work with T50RP?

I am just waiting on the Dynamat and Shure earpads to be delivered...then i will start my Mod!

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #4,030 of 11,345
You can find the O2 pads here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=stax+pads&_sacat=0&_odkw=stax+o2+pads&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

If that doesn't work then you can put Stax pads in your search for ebay.

It looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer until I get another pair of the T50RP but I do want to compare the RP2 to BMF#6..hopefully soon but I thought I had secured a pair but I guess not but I'm guessing late Oct I'll get another pair..unless someone here wants to sell me their stock T50RP :wink:

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #4,032 of 11,345

Quote:
You can find the O2 pads here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=stax+pads&_sacat=0&_odkw=stax+o2+pads&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

If that doesn't work then you can put Stax pads in your search for ebay.

It looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer until I get another pair of the T50RP but I do want to compare the RP2 to BMF#6..hopefully soon but I thought I had secured a pair but I guess not but I'm guessing late Oct I'll get another pair..unless someone here wants to sell me their stock T50RP :wink:

Pardon my ignorance...but are Stax O2 same as Stax-007 pads? I did find the stax-007 pads on ebay...but did't want to chance it given they are so expensive.

The cheapest T50RP i found here in Australia was from this ebay seller from whom I bought:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110640633922?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #4,033 of 11,345

Quote:
Haha, clearly you have not read through the entire thread.  Yes, they will most definitely work.

I should have explained myself a bit better. I realise they will work in terms of fit and finish. I was referring more to performance...which can be subjective. Sorry...my bad
redface.gif

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #4,034 of 11,345

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance...but are Stax O2 same as Stax-007 pads? I did find the stax-007 pads on ebay...but did't want to chance it given they are so expensive.

The cheapest T50RP i found here in Australia was from this ebay seller from whom I bought:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110640633922?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Stax SR007 and Omega 2 is the same headphone. The full name is SR007 Omega II 

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #4,035 of 11,345
Just picked up the ebay t50 modification kit.  Paxmate seems a lot softer than the lian-li acoustic foam - I have a suspicion it could work very well due to its light weight and softness, just intuitively seems a better material.  I think I will try one pair with paxmate and the next with acoustic felt.  Might source some more tungsten putty first though (thanks to Leeperry for the idea).  My guess is that it would need at least 120+ grams to cover baffles entirely.  This stuff is seriously heavy though lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back