Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #2,491 of 11,345

Quote:
Hi!

This thread is getting very long... I've started this thread 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571549/fostex-t50rp-mod-links

in order to "bookmark" the most informative posts from THIS thread. 

I've often thought it would be nice to have a Fostex T50RP Mod wiki where there could be a repository of useful links & info as well as a place for everyone to detail their particular mods with some sort of semi-standard format (pads, vent, interior damping, etc, etc). Wouldn't that be nice? :)  

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #2,493 of 11,345

Quote:
No, I have left the white lint intact, as its almost transparent I figured its only purpose was to protect the driver,

The white material is actually somewhat air-resistive, so it is loading the driver.  The effect is to reduce the bass and sharpen the sound in the upper mids.  When it's removed the volume of bass becomes overwhelming, which is why the vent needs to be adjusted, but this makes a real difference in the quality of the whole sound spectrum.  And of course makes you tweak a few things to re-balance.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 14, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #2,494 of 11,345
Quote:
I've often thought it would be nice to have a Fostex T50RP Mod wiki where there could be a repository of useful links & info as well as a place for everyone to detail their particular mods with some sort of semi-standard format (pads, vent, interior damping, etc, etc). Wouldn't that be nice? :)  

Do you mean like the (under-used) wikiphonia T50RP page ? :)

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #2,495 of 11,345
Something like that certainly would be helpful for people (like me) who are going to start modding their T50RP and haven't gone through the entire thread.

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #2,496 of 11,345

Quote:
The white material is actually somewhat air-resistive, so it is loading the driver.  The effect is to reduce the bass and sharpen the sound in the upper mids.  When it's removed the volume of bass becomes overwhelming, which is why the vent needs to be adjusted, but this makes a real difference in the quality of the whole sound spectrum.  And of course makes you tweak a few things to re-balance.

What specific mods bring the highs back after removing the white covering?  I've just started my first set and am still a bit hesitant. I don't want my set to sound too dark.

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #2,497 of 11,345

Quote:
What specific mods bring the highs back after removing the white covering?  I've just started my first set and am still a bit hesitant. I don't want my set to sound too dark.

The highs only turned sharper because of the covering. Load some felt or foam behind the driver.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #2,498 of 11,345
I want to try cutting the white felt but I don't like non-reversible mods. So I ordered a spare T50RP to try different modding styles, I love how cheap these are!

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #2,499 of 11,345
mrspeakers, thanks for your posts detailing what you did to the T50RP.

Do you happen to have any internal pics for a better idea of things?

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #2,500 of 11,345
I would appreciate these too mr speakers. Since you've modded 5 pair, I think I'm going to start with your mod. And work from there

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #2,503 of 11,345

the stuff i got is labelled 'stiffened felt' made by creatology and sold at Michael's (the craft store) in 9" x 12" sheets of various colours for $1.69 cdn. it is available w/wo adhesive backing - i think you are better wo adhesive backing since that will interfere with airflow.
Quote:
When "stiff felt" is mentioned for replacing the white covering on the back of the driver, is the material similar to the felt covering the vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back