Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 13, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #2,476 of 11,345
I have a fairly generic all-purpose glue that I use.  It gets a bit globbed up after a few applications, but trying to get two-sided tape to properly stick is a pretty annoying.

If you have a steady hand, hot glue is definitely your friend as well, because it holds well but comes off easily when you change your mind. Just be careful with it around the drivers.

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #2,477 of 11,345
Quote:
I have only compared the RX900 pads to the stock T50RP pads. The RX900 pads are more comfortable and deliver an overall warmth, but this comes at the expense of detail and air. With the RX900 pads, the in-your-face mids are attenuated. I've been listening with the RX900 pads for awhile, so returning to the stock pads is quite a novelty to my ears.

It's noteworthy that smeggy says the only thing he doesn't modify or replace in creating his Thunderpants are the stock pads. 

No way? That's what the 840 pads sounded like to me, I didn't hear much of a difference between the rx900 and stock pads honestly. Main difference was the comfort and better seal.

Do the rx900 pads get your ear completely off the driver, or do they touch a little? Maybe there's a difference in padding or something.

@dogears, your mad scientist mods are awesome!

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #2,480 of 11,345
No way? That's what the 840 pads sounded like to me, I didn't hear much of a difference between the rx900 and stock pads honestly.

It's all relative. When I reinstalled the stock pads, the difference was there but it was small. The fact that it takes me several minutes to change the pads and auditory memory is short certainly didn't help. So i ended up trying to verify the difference by using a stock pad on one ear and a JVC pad on the other, then swapping the pads around! (Really, I ask myself, if the difference is that small, does it really matter?) :D But yes, the difference was there and I'm still using the stock pads alone.

In another experiment, I actually put the stock pads on the phones, then stretched the JVC pads over top them. Don't bother...the sound was mushy, at least to my ears.

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #2,483 of 11,345
Thanks, this is interesting. It also raises a few more questions in my mind. I'm curious if you're still using cotton wool to line the cups. Is it safe to assume you removed the white cloth from the driver before gluing down the craft felt? Last, are you still leaving the baffles undampened?
Thanks.
Quote:
No, though there are key similarities, I have not removed the felt on the ear-side and have left the vent felt intact, I prefer the stock pads though have tried others, I do have felt covering the whole of the driver, 1/16" thick, this is key to the mod in my opinion.
I have re-cabled them and have added considerable mass to the back of the cup, basically my angle on the faust mod, the felt covering the driver needs to be of a stiff nature and in my opinion has to be super glued over the entire square of the driver.
This procedure has the most profound effect in my opinion , though plenty of mass needs to be added, whether it is blu-tack, plastacine , acoustic foam etc, I have tried all of these, though over-damping the back of the cup is to be avoided as definition , soundstage and air is effected, the dampening procedure will eliminate resonance and really tightens up the bass and low end spectrums, as you can see there are many variants on this mod.
Well worth experimenting to see which you prefer, decent amping is also a primary factor, as is the source, poorly recorded material is highlighted dramatically with these cans, well recorded material whether burnt off vinyl (though every pop and crackle is picked up) or downloaded lossless format is totally eargasmic.. 

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #2,484 of 11,345
Sigh. B&H's stock sold out within 12 hours 
blink.gif

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #2,486 of 11,345

No, I have left the white lint intact, as its almost transparent I figured its only purpose was to protect the driver, I did dampen the baffles with plasticine but then removed it and the definition was much improved.
My theory is and this is just my opinion, the shape of the cup (baffles) with its many hollows and intricacies  are there purely for definition as these are sold as studio monitors.
I did pack a good sized wad of cotton wool in the back of the cup though, and also tried electric tape over the vents but removed it as they appeared less airey to my ears. 

Quote:
Thanks, this is interesting. It also raises a few more questions in my mind. I'm curious if you're still using cotton wool to line the cups. Is it safe to assume you removed the white cloth from the driver before gluing down the craft felt? Last, are you still leaving the baffles undampened?
Thanks.

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #2,487 of 11,345
http://www.performance-pcs<insert dot here>com/catalog/index.phpmain_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=akasa+paxmate

http://www.sidewindercomputers<insert dot here>com/akpanorekit.html

Quote:
where do you get akasa paxmate from?

edit: this is what I should be buying right?

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #2,488 of 11,345
I was hoping there was some place where shipping didn't cost so much compared to the price of the product. I think I'll do some research later and see what materials I'll have to buy..unless someone wants to do that for me :p

I should get mine on Saturday most likely.

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #2,489 of 11,345
So I finally got my t50's in yesterday.  Pretty good stock cans overall for the price, but I couldn't wait and tried the phat-pad modded-ad700 pads on them.  

Please note my pads are at least third-hand and the outer material around the mesh that attaches it to the cups is deteriorated quite a bit.

Compared to stock, they are more comfortable by both keeping my ears colder and bringing the drivers further away from my ears so they no longer rub against them.  Sound-wise, soundstage has increased dramatically, as well as a more airy presentation.  While I didn't have a problem with the stock pads seal, these seem like they would be more forgiving for various head sizes and seal better for some having trouble with the stock pads.  Bass impact is dramatically reduced, however, highs are much more textured.  I do feel like there could be some sibilance there, but my ears aren't trained enough to tell.  It no doubt these pads are a huge reason for the AD700 soundstage.  If I could somehow keep this airy feel while bringing the old bass back I would be extremely happy with these.

One thing to note however, is that while the seal between the pads and ear are generally better, the seal between the pad and headphones fits like a glove, but appear to leak sound.  It could be because of my chewed up pads, but it seems to me like some sound is leaking between the pads and cups somehow.

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #2,490 of 11,345
blink.gif
the a/ad series pads fit pretty well on the T50RP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back