Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 11, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #2,446 of 11,345
I dumped venting the Fostex. I'd like to keep it closed.

Okay, here's my current setup: My yummy sandwich pads

I still can hear the ugly bass with the synthetic leather and prefer the bass with the stock pads on top. I also like the sound|feel|look of the 'inverted stock pads'. You may want to try it yourselves :)

and super comfy headband

Next will be further tuning of bass and extending the treble a bit more.

Sep 11, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #2,447 of 11,345
I've had multiple requests for latest config on Rastapants.  Here's my final (yes, really) configuration:

1) On the outside of the baffle (ear-side):
-Remove the felt over the driver
-Surround the driver with acoustic foam (Akasa Paxmate), all the way under the ear pads.
-Earpads I prefer are O2 and Shure SRH840, in that order (the Shure is the clear choice if cost is any consideration at all, but the O2 pads are the most comfy I've worn).  If using the Shure, make a 1/8" tall shim of something to provide a slight angle to the cup and give your ear more clearance.  Both the O2 and 840 have a nicely finished grill cloth, so don't worry about losing the felt over the driver.

2) On the inside of the baffle:
-Fill all the voids around the driver except the two tiny vents with Plasticine (modeling clay)
-Remove the white felt
-Replace the white felt with stiff craft felt

3) On the inside of the cup:
-Cover most surfaces with acoustic foam (except the lower vent area)
-Remove the felt on the lower vent
-Cover all the lower vent with electrical tape except about a 2-3mm long space over one row of vent

Finishing touch: use deoxit on the external cable male plug to eliminate the channel dropouts and/or static which seems to affect a large percentage of T50s.

The result is comparable to the best speakers I've designed or heard...  Tonally they are very close to my JH16s, though they sound better.  There is no part of the spectrum that does not feel balanced and clean.  At the end of the day, these end up getting about 3/4 of my phone time.

As with LFF, I consider this an endgame mod for me, and something of an outright end game (I look forward to hearing his next month!).  These are so much better than my HD650s it's just stupid.  And those were pretty nice cans...  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 12, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #2,448 of 11,345
Thanks, mrspeakers. It's good to see your experimentation has paid off. It gives neophytes like myself some direction. 

Any other long-time T50RP modders care to share their current state-of-the-union modifications?

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #2,450 of 11,345

I agree with you, I have the 650s also, the T50s totally outclass them, now this is where it gets ridiculous, they are more detailed, more neutral and sweeter sounding than my PMC Fact 8 speakers which cost a hell of a lot of money.
I,m all done , my only other purchase in the headphone world will be a spare set of Fostex T50RPs.

Quote:
I've had multiple requests for latest config on Rastapants.  Here's my final (yes, really) configuration:

1) On the outside of the baffle (ear-side):
-Remove the felt over the driver
-Surround the driver with acoustic foam (Akasa Paxmate), all the way under the ear pads.
-Earpads I prefer are O2 and Shure SRH840, in that order (the Shure is the clear choice if cost is any consideration at all, but the O2 pads are the most comfy I've worn).  If using the Shure, make a 1/8" tall shim of something to provide a slight angle to the cup and give your ear more clearance.  Both the O2 and 840 have a nicely finished grill cloth, so don't worry about losing the felt over the driver.

2) On the inside of the baffle:
-Fill all the voids around the driver except the two tiny vents with Plasticine (modeling clay)
-Remove the white felt
-Replace the white felt with stiff craft felt

3) On the inside of the cup:
-Cover most surfaces with acoustic foam (except the lower vent area)
-Remove the felt on the lower vent
-Cover all the lower vent with electrical tape except about a 2-3mm long space over one row of vent

Finishing touch: use deoxit on the external cable male plug to eliminate the channel dropouts and/or static which seems to affect a large percentage of T50s.

The result is comparable to the best speakers I've designed or heard...  Tonally they are very close to my JH16s, though they sound better.  There is no part of the spectrum that does not feel balanced and clean.  At the end of the day, these end up getting about 3/4 of my phone time.

As with LFF, I consider this an endgame mod for me, and something of an outright end game (I look forward to hearing his next month!).  These are so much better than my HD650s it's just stupid.  And those were pretty nice cans...  

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #2,451 of 11,345
While it's not the perfect sound for me (yet) and I don't have the time yet to perfect the tweaking, I am (temporarily) altering the sound thru EQ. For USD78 the SQ you're going to get --- it's a no brainer :p The soundstage is really good for such closed cans
L3000.gif

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #2,452 of 11,345

b0wl1ng, are your mods identical to mrspeakers'?

Quote:
...they are more detailed, more neutral and sweeter sounding than my PMC Fact 8 speakers which cost a hell of a lot of money.
I,m all done , my only other purchase in the headphone world will be a spare set of Fostex T50RPs.

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #2,453 of 11,345
I got my 840 pads.  Once I got them wrestled on there, I am quite impressed.  I think the SA5K pads might have a touch more bass punch, but the balance, clarity, comfort, seal and bass quantity are all better with the 840 pads.

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #2,454 of 11,345
are there any more impressions w/ the RX900 pads?  How do they compare to the 840s.. also, are the O2 pads the absolute best for these, SQ-wise?

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #2,455 of 11,345
I'm keeping my ultra cheap mods. I think I'm done for now and using them without EQ.

Cheap synthetic pads sandwich with the inverted stock pads

Cheap multicolor
biggrin.gif
clay on the driver baffle, cheap fiberfill on the cup and some foil behind the driver for treble - add to your liking :wink: <- crucial tuning to get those trumpets playing in your ears.
L3000.gif

Cheap headband from a donor.

USD78++ is just plain ridiculous price for this performance. Soundstage: Unbelievable!

The only advantage going to the EM3Pros now is size and impedance :p

Cheap headphones, STUPENDOUS performance!

Hold on, I'm not yet done... the cables must be replaced. I almost forgot :D

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #2,456 of 11,345
Now I'm sad because I wasted money on some stuff that I might not even use in the future... also I ordered the wrong blutak, so I wasted like 5 bucks. Curse you Elmer's!

But now I'm tempted to waste more money to try acoustic foam and Paxmate as well as the 840 pads.... But I just want to try them and easily return them, but then again I don't want to be that spoiled kid who just recklessly spends his parents' money for his own pleasure, which I already spent on a laptop and these phones themselves. :frowning2:

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #2,457 of 11,345
To anyone looking for a pair of these, I had bought a pair to mod shortly before I received my unexpected review pair. I have no need for them anymore. I've burned them in for 50 hours already so they're good to go. The link is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/571456/t50rp-like-new-in-box

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #2,458 of 11,345
I finally gave in and bought a pair of Shure 840 pads. I am curious what they will do for my sound, although I am pretty happy with where things are now.

Hopefully I will be even happier when I get my CTH later this week.
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #2,459 of 11,345
Quote:
are there any more impressions w/ the RX900 pads?  How do they compare to the 840s.. also, are the O2 pads the absolute best for these, SQ-wise?

I have only compared the RX900 pads to the stock T50RP pads. The RX900 pads are more comfortable and deliver an overall warmth, but this comes at the expense of detail and air. With the RX900 pads, the in-your-face mids are attenuated. I've been listening with the RX900 pads for awhile, so returning to the stock pads is quite a novelty to my ears.

It's noteworthy that smeggy says the only thing he doesn't modify or replace in creating his Thunderpants are the stock pads. 

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #2,460 of 11,345
No, though there are key similarities, I have not removed the felt on the ear-side and have left the vent felt intact, I prefer the stock pads though have tried others, I do have felt covering the whole of the driver, 1/16" thick, this is key to the mod in my opinion.
I have re-cabled them and have added considerable mass to the back of the cup, basically my angle on the faust mod, the felt covering the driver needs to be of a stiff nature and in my opinion has to be super glued over the entire square of the driver.
This procedure has the most profound effect in my opinion , though plenty of mass needs to be added, whether it is blu-tack, plastacine , acoustic foam etc, I have tried all of these, though over-damping the back of the cup is to be avoided as definition , soundstage and air is effected, the dampening procedure will eliminate resonance and really tightens up the bass and low end spectrums, as you can see there are many variants on this mod.
Well worth experimenting to see which you prefer, decent amping is also a primary factor, as is the source, poorly recorded material is highlighted dramatically with these cans, well recorded material whether burnt off vinyl (though every pop and crackle is picked up) or downloaded lossless format is totally eargasmic.. 

Quote:
b0wl1ng, are your mods identical to mrspeakers'?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back