Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
May 4, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #1,606 of 11,345

The felt is to replace the membrane on the back of the driver, I wont be adding it to the front.

Peeling it off is irreversible, and some ppl truly regretted doing so...you'll also notice that the ppl who did it are on an endless quest to get the bass and mids where they want them to be. This phone can sound absolutely amazing w/ the stock membrane on(which also works to protect the driver) IME.

Of course, YMMV....and there's always the theory that the drivers engineers were clueless
zoubidawa.gif

If I were you, I'd remove the felt of the 840 earpads and I'd try to find something better...these earpads sounded terribly metallic and distant when I (briefly) tried them. The stock earpads sound good coz they're very thin(so the driver is closer to the eardrum), but they're too narrow and really not comfy after an hour or two.

Thoughts on troubleshooting and/or resolving?

Probably the female 1/8" in the left cup, try to plug/unplug the cable a dozen times.

May 5, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #1,607 of 11,345
Holy smokes!  Listening to Kinetic by Phutureprimitive.  We're talking ThunderPants!  I am officially happy with my config and done tweaking.  VERY good sound.  Still not LCD-2, but sweet and enjoyable in the extreme.

Speaking of ThunderPants, I just ordered some woodies to try on one of my T50s...  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 6, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #1,610 of 11,345

Quote:

Peeling it off is irreversible, and some ppl truly regretted doing so...you'll also notice that the ppl who did it are on an endless quest to get the bass and mids where they want them to be. This phone can sound absolutely amazing w/ the stock membrane on(which also works to protect the driver) IME.

Thanks, I may try sticking the stiff felt to the stock membrane that way i could always put it back to how it was

May 6, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #1,611 of 11,345

Quote:
Fitted the 840 pads today, i really like them but the bass is boomy so will need to cover some of the vent as its fully open at the minute.

How is the best way to angle them?

Use strips of Akasa on the inner side of the pads ("akasa risers").

May 6, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #1,612 of 11,345

Quote:

Thanks, I may try sticking the stiff felt to the stock membrane that way i could always put it back to how it was

Won't work, mate.  Too much damping.  You just have to decide if you like the tonal balance, and maybe go to a meet and hear someone else's rig.  I can say with the 840 pads, people are really liking the sound of mine, and that's with the stock membrane replaced by felt, but YMMV and no guarantees.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 6, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #1,613 of 11,345

Quote:
Won't work, mate.  Too much damping.  You just have to decide if you like the tonal balance, and maybe go to a meet and hear someone else's rig.  I can say with the 840 pads, people are really liking the sound of mine, and that's with the stock membrane replaced by felt, but YMMV and no guarantees.  

yeah, the rastapants were very neutral, the FR was very even and controlled. Every detail was crisp and alive, an excellent mod, it worked especially well with the lyr.

for some reason I think I like the stock piece on the back better though, it gives the cans alot of warmth, not neutral, but I really like the sound signature, I would probably need more time listening to both to give my final decision though.

May 6, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #1,616 of 11,345
I used two pieces of Akasa cut similarly to Leeperry's and stacked.  They're foam, and compress, so it gives a subtle tilt.  Was going to try some weatherstripping...

May 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #1,618 of 11,345
humm, of course the sanitary protections don't sound as good as my dust wipes did...they're advertized as "acoustically transparent", and they sure sound like it(harsh trebles/lack of deep bass). I will try to add a disc of dust wipe before the drivers then
killer%20instinct.gif

May 9, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #1,619 of 11,345
Well, I was having some problems with the left channel dropping out so I decided to try my hand at a re-cable.  I just used some speaker wire I had lying around and a rat-shack 1/8 plug.  I decided to go dual entry and I completely removed the 1/8 jack from the left cup and filled it in with plasticine and taped over it on the outside.  I think it looks ok for my first attempt (the y split is rather horrid though) and it still sounds great.  

May 9, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #1,620 of 11,345
Deoxit is the easiest ways to reduce channel dropouts.  Fostex seems to have a problem sourcing jacks with a lot of oxide on them.  I have 4 sets and rotation of the jack causes all of them to lose connection in one or both channels.  Deoxit fixes this right up, though it's worth noting that I have never had another audio product that had this problem out of the box...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back