Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
May 15, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #1,636 of 11,345

I may have a deal on purchasing some Sony SA5000 pads.
Do these look like they are in good condition? Do I have to worry about the warping on the bottom of the right pad?
I heard elsewhere that these pads flake. Anyone that has experience?

May 16, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #1,640 of 11,345
I don't know if Sony changed th e pads lately but mine are leather, for sure. These look like the leather....

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 16, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #1,642 of 11,345
I might just bite the bullet. I can't stand the feel of the stock pads after an hour or so. The condition those pads are in justify the asking price of the seller.

I am going to begin modding shortly after I order the supplies.
I plan to use newplast and akasa plus.
Where can I purchase newplast in the US? It seems as if it's a UK thing.

If I cannot find any newplast, what is a worthy alternative? It seems as if newplast has the highest damping factor from what I've researched in this thread. I know that plasticine is also good, but will there be sonic differences between plasticine and newplast?
Also, is akasa plus and akasa II the same thing? It seems like it.

Thanks for all of your help.

May 16, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #1,643 of 11,345
Keep in mind that the Sony pads are completely different from the stock in pretty much every way.  I'm considering picking up some Shure 840 pads for mine instead, to try to find a midpoint.

May 16, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #1,645 of 11,345

Quote:

I may have a deal on purchasing some Sony SA5000 pads.
Do these look like they are in good condition? Do I have to worry about the warping on the bottom of the right pad?
I heard elsewhere that these pads flake. Anyone that has experience?

they look brand new in person ... the creases look like they were caused after the sewing like something squished the pads for months.

pics are with flash 2-4 inches away they just look like black leather without it on.

May 16, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #1,646 of 11,345

i searched a long while for newplast in us/canada ... no can find, although i'm sure that there's some store out there that has it. in the end i opted for van aken non-drying modeling clay from a local pro art supply store instead ... many colors, cheap enuf and seems sufficiently dense to do the trick (but i haven' t used it yet)...

i doubt that anyone can tell the difference between good plasticine & newplast in this application.

yes... akasa II and akasa plus appear to be the same; i bought mine from sidewinder .... they had the best price at the time.
Quote:
I might just bite the bullet. I can't stand the feel of the stock pads after an hour or so. The condition those pads are in justify the asking price of the seller.

I am going to begin modding shortly after I order the supplies.
I plan to use newplast and akasa plus.
Where can I purchase newplast in the US? It seems as if it's a UK thing.

If I cannot find any newplast, what is a worthy alternative? It seems as if newplast has the highest damping factor from what I've researched in this thread. I know that plasticine is also good, but will there be sonic differences between plasticine and newplast?
Also, is akasa plus and akasa II the same thing? It seems like it.

Thanks for all of your help.

May 16, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #1,650 of 11,345
Newplast is plasticine is non-drying modeling clay, newplast is just a specific brand of plasticine/modeling clay chosen because it has a slightly better damping coefficient, the differences are fairly minimal, and I would only recommend newplast over the non-drying modeling clay if you wanted the absolute best at all cost. Not worth it for anyone else IMO. You can find modeling clay at your neighborhood Michaels or Staples or hobby store. Newplast is UK only, you would have to order it out.

akasa is worth the price IMO, and you get alot of it, enough to mod many headphones.

Also if you are cringing at the price of the SA5000 pads, try the srh840 pads, for $20 you get some good pads, they are pleather, but very comfortable, easy to angle, and create a miniature room between your ears and the driver (helps soundstage IMO). ebay has them (he ships very quickly) as does amazon. If you do not like them, then spring for the SA5000 pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back