Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
May 18, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #1,651 of 11,345
Well my new T50RP's arrived today broken!  I really can't blame UPS because B&H didn't put any packing inside the outer box.
They broke at the cup coupling to the adjuster.  I can't super glue it or repair it due to the way it broke.  It's really a very flimsy design, but $73 only gets you so much build quality.
I listened to two discs anyway lying down.  I was able to keep the broken side pressed up to my ear since it was wedged between the adjuster rails and my ear.  These are the best headphones I have ever heard based upon this early assessment.
I was thinking of goinf for a refund but instaed I'll take another pair.  I'll just be real careful with them.
I'm excited about what I heard so far.

May 18, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #1,652 of 11,345
Quote:
Well my new T50RP's arrived today broken!  I really can't blame UPS because B&H didn't put any packing inside the outer box.
They broke at the cup coupling to the adjuster.  I can't super glue it or repair it due to the way it broke.  It's really a very flimsy design, but $73 only gets you so much build quality.
I listened to two discs anyway lying down.  I was able to keep the broken side pressed up to my ear since it was wedged between the adjuster rails and my ear.  These are the best headphones I have ever heard based upon this early assessment.
I was thinking of goinf for a refund but instaed I'll take another pair.  I'll just be real careful with them.
I'm excited about what I heard so far.

That sucks.  I got two from B&H today and they were smothered with those air bag/cushions things and were in perfect shape.  They're actually fairly durable so I don't want to know what sort of trauma that box went through...

May 19, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #1,654 of 11,345
Quote:
same as him mine arrived without even a dint in the box

Now I need to get some wood and go crazy with the circle jig.  Different depths, variates, densities, and combinations will be tested and A/B-ed.  For only $75 why not get an extra and make life easier...

May 26, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #1,656 of 11,345

I didnt like them out of the box. After a few days of only listening to the t50s, i must say they are actually really a steal for $80. I added some dynamat to them and i didnt notice a huge difference though. Im in the process of having some wood cups and hope what everyone says about them once they get some new pants is true. For $80, go for it. 
Quote:
Would you recommend these for a person who never owned a decent pair of headphones before? Reading about all this modding is quite daunting lol.

May 27, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #1,657 of 11,345

Quote:
Would you recommend these for a person who never owned a decent pair of headphones before? Reading about all this modding is quite daunting lol.

yes but with a word of warning, these things are power hungry, if you do not have an amp, it will sound good, but quiet, and not anywhere near as good as with one. These scale very well, not for any (non-amped) portable setup though. 

I listened to them and modded them for 5 months while I was trying to find an amp, at the time I liked my HD555s better simply because the laptop could power them sufficiently.

May 27, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #1,658 of 11,345
If you just want to get a pair of great headphones then stop in this hobby, it would be a fine choice, especially for the price.

If you are wanting to get into this hobby, the T50RP isn't where I would recommend starting.  Wait until you have a better sense of what you like first, then you can ask focused questions here to get help to bring out the sound you want from them.

Quote:

May 30, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #1,660 of 11,345
do you think the t50rp would be good as an intro monitor? I know alot of studios use it for monitoring, but I feel like we have analyzed it more critically than most, and it does have its weaknesses stock... I ask because I have a friend who is trying to set up a home studio without previous experience. 

Or do you think the M50 or the akg 270 would work better?

May 31, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #1,661 of 11,345
Quote:
do you think the t50rp would be good as an intro monitor? I know alot of studios use it for monitoring, but I feel like we have analyzed it more critically than most, and it does have its weaknesses stock... I ask because I have a friend who is trying to set up a home studio without previous experience. 

Or do you think the M50 or the akg 270 would work better?

Stock, the timbre is a bit plasticky, the bass lacks some definition, and the soundstage isn't very large.  Those problems aren't all that bad compared to other things in the price range though.  On the plus side it has the flattest FR and best detail of anything I know of in that price range.

I don't know exactly what sort of requirements are necessary for professional use so I couldn't say which would be better.

The problem with the timbre and bass definition can easily be solved by just adding some dynamat to the inside of the cup and outside of the baffle with minimal changes to anything else.

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #1,662 of 11,345
Howdy all. I'm joining in on the ortho madness too. Just damped a cup (yes, just one) with dynamat and the sound has a lot more weight to it, despite notsounding very good at all. I really need to get an amp. I can tell these need a lot of power.

Is there a guide to making pads? I'm not a fan of the stock pads.

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #1,663 of 11,345
Gah.  Now I've just got to try these.  
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #1,664 of 11,345

Quote:
Howdy all. I'm joining in on the ortho madness too. Just damped a cup (yes, just one) with dynamat and the sound has a lot more weight to it, despite notsounding very good at all. I really need to get an amp. I can tell these need a lot of power.

If you are going to damp with dynamat, I strongly recommend pulling off (it can be tricky) the foil layer.  It's going to reflect sound like crazy.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #1,665 of 11,345

I bought the shure pads, and got a set of beyer pads with my woodies. The stock pads sound the best out of all of them. I'm not sure I'm ready to buy the o2s yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back