Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 9, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #1,053 of 11,345

Check out my new headphone stand. 
cool.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #1,055 of 11,345

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501773/thunderpants

The easiest way is to PM Smeggy and ask him to build you a pair of Thunderpants. This is what he told me a couple weeks ago:

Quote:
I need to make more sets so they can be made with your preference of wood and finish type (glossy or satin, that kinda thing). They cost XXXX and usually take a couple of weeks to make.

I for one don't think it is right of you to be posting a PM listing the going rate of a headphone that has had people using smeggy's design and the Thunderpants name to sell their sub par products.  You should let smeggy give his price to each individual instead of advertising it for everyone to see.  

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #1,056 of 11,345

Quote:
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501773/thunderpants

The easiest way is to PM Smeggy and ask him to build you a pair of Thunderpants. This is what he told me a couple weeks ago:

Quote:
I need to make more sets so they can be made with your preference of wood and finish type (glossy or satin, that kinda thing). They cost XXXX and usually take a couple of weeks to make.

I for one don't think it is right of you to be posting a PM listing the going rate of a headphone that has had people using smeggy's design and the Thunderpants name to sell their sub par products.  You should let smeggy give his price to each individual instead of advertising it for everyone to see.  

I was debating whether or not to include the price or not. I have edited it out but it's not like he goes out of his way to obscure what he does or how much it costs; all it takes is a PM. Then again, since smeggy is not technically MOT you are probably right.

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,058 of 11,345
@leeperry: if you don't get around to buying the 840 earpads, I might be able to try them out a week or two from now, depending on when I get to see a friend with 840s.

I have tried the Fischer FA-003 pads, and they clearly will not work on the T50RPs

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #1,059 of 11,345

Quote:
@leeperry: if you don't get around to buying the 840 earpads, I might be able to try them out a week or two from now, depending on when I get to see a friend with 840s.

I have tried the Fischer FA-003 pads, and they clearly will not work on the T50RPs

popcorn.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #1,061 of 11,345
Have any of you managed to get Dynamat or newplast inside of the metal bars that connect the cups to the headband or the swiveling plastic to which the bars are attached?

I'll probably give the Shure earpads a try myself later as I cannot get a good seal with the stock ones.

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #1,062 of 11,345

Quote:
Have any of you managed to get Dynamat or newplast inside of the metal bars that connect the cups to the headband or the swiveling plastic to which the bars are attached?

I'll probably give the Shure earpads a try myself later as I cannot get a good seal with the stock ones.

Why would you bother?  There should not be any resonances that would affect SQ that far from the driver, and outside the primary enclosure, especially once the cups are damped.  

I'm still sitting here waiting for Fedex to arrive with my t50s, with Blu Tack and Akasa all ready to go...  They're supposed to be here by 6, but late again.  Tracking says "out for delivery," but I'm wondering in which county?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 11, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #1,063 of 11,345

Quote:
Quote:

Why would you bother?  There should not be any resonances that would affect SQ that far from the driver, and outside the primary enclosure, especially once the cups are damped.  

I'm still sitting here waiting for Fedex to arrive with my t50s, with Blu Tack and Akasa all ready to go...  They're supposed to be here by 6, but late again.  Tracking says "out for delivery," but I'm wondering in which county?

I stuck Dynamat Xtreme into the arches of 7509HD which connect the cups to the headband, tightening the bass and expanding the soundstage to just a hair short of AD700's as well as making it sound almost like it is an open-back headphone (even though it is closed).  I figure T50RP would similarly benefit, perhaps a little less than 7509 did.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #1,064 of 11,345
Hm.  Well, I'll see if there are opportunities to twiddle this and let you know.  Sounds somewhat doubtful it'd make an audible difference, but hey, I was wrong once.  
wink_face.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #1,065 of 11,345
Woot, they arrived!  I don't think I ever had to work so hard to spend $74.  

I have them on now, driven by the Burson.  Comparing to the HD650 is REALLY interesting.  They definitely have some midrange resonance in particular to calm down, and the top end is, well, dull compared to the 650.  

But here's the really interesting part, they sound ridiculously good for their price, and not only that, as many have noted, there's a real naturalness to the tone.  They simply sound more real, especially with vocals.  The HD650 has markedly more grain, and a noticeably bigger soundstage, but on first impressions the question is is the HD650 revealing grain in the source, or adding it?  The t50 definitely is less bright, but it feels more natural up top, so this may be a reduction in coloration and higher-order distortion.  

I will probably let these burn in before I tweek, as tuning would be somewhat hard on a moving target.  But orthos shouldn't take much time to settle down.  So I'm looking forward to playing around and comparing these further. 

They also need better pads, these are a bit too stiff and don't seal around the ear too well, causing bass to fall off a bit.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back