Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 12, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #1,067 of 11,346
That's pretty much how I feel they compare to my HD650s as well.  After some adding dynamat and a little bit of felt to eat cup reflections I felt they were better than my HD650s in every area but the size of the soundstage.  They lost by quite a bit in that area though, so it isn't a complete rout for the HD650s.  I'm hoping to make some gains in that area with angled pads and some differential damping though.

Off topic:

I look absolutely ridiculous standing in line at Joanne Fabric waiting to get some felt cut.  Long hair with a ponytail, long goatee, black leather trench coat, etc...and holding a few bolts of fabric.  The only other man in building looked to be 3 times my age and was with his equally elderly wife.  Then they ask me what I'm making.  It'd take 20 minutes to explain properly so I just said, "acoustic treatments."

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #1,068 of 11,346
Yea i agree with this headphone sounding really really really good i agree i just can't get my head around this, i prefer the neutral and lifelike and the atmosphere this creates over my other headphones.

The t50rp sounds the same but different with different amps, i prefer the bcl to drive the t50rp.

So if it sound really really really is it a really really really good headphone :D i don't know i can't get my head around this headphone but being neutral it is just like the dt48 with a different tone.

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #1,071 of 11,346
Well, just for larks I did the mods.  Couldn't wait.  Loaded the baffle with Blue Stick, pressed it nicely into the molding.  This definitely stabilized and increased bass output, maybe as much as 3dB (no joke.  at first, even mild pressure on the phone caused a noticeable rise in base.

I used Akasa to cover the inside of the back shell.  The first pass followed dbel84 approach of filling the back of the cup, but with Akasa, the stock felt over the bass.  I felt there was still some echo to the midrange, so I cut thin strips of Akasa to coat the whole back from near the internal rim that closes off the driver chamber.

It took about 75 minutes.  Very well spent time.  I don't know if I like them MORE than the HD650 -but I like them at least as MUCH.  They certainly are different.  Very much warmer, tonally extremely engaging, detailed but not bright, tight bass, less snap and less soundstage.  It will be fun to compare different types of music and see what works where...  

I'll also read up a bit more on the micropore/transpore effects and see if it's worth considering based on how much I am enjoying these already.  What a fun surprise!  Thanks to everyone who spent time exploring this phone and sharing such nice tips and tricks.  

These are so cheap I may just mod a few as christmas presents.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 12, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #1,072 of 11,346
Well this is what i have be searching for in a headphone, the tone to match the vocals it is extreme and am raveing it because of that..that i prefer them for use over the hd650 and k701 they sound bleh compared to this.

Even if they are not the best they certainly are at the top for me being enjoyable out of my other cans it doesn't seem to get old.

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #1,075 of 11,346
Wow, this must be the biggest of the "appreciation-threads" out there. So, that Fostex costs 150€ here, and now I read it makes the HD650 and the K701 sound like crap? How very, very strange, on the other hand they apparently need modding with strange materals I've never even heard of. I'm coming from the HD25 and like it for its forward, tight controlled bass, but would like something that's clearer, airier, and comes with a better soundstage... is this it? 

Edit: I dislike "warm" sound, looking for clarity and openness, the HD600 was imho veiled and somewhat dulled in the upper range. Cold,  analytic, while retaining a punchy lower end, that would be it. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #1,076 of 11,346
To me it deals with your taste in a headphone...your amp if you mod damping.

I wanted live sound and this is what i wanted all the time these headphones with the right amp will seriously immense you in the music better then the usual cans around here below 300 usd.

I prefer the t50rp over my collection...the music is just too much with these it always grabs me attention all the time and not in the background.

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #1,077 of 11,346
Hm, I don't own an amp besides the Xonar. The HD25 actuallyis imho close to whatyou describe, forward, entertaining and lively. 

Just to clarify: we're talking about that thing? 

US-Price for a new one is 79 USD, Europrice is 149€ - seems like another grado to me, absolutely overpriced in the EU. 
I better close this chapter, that one seemsto be just not what I'm looking for. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #1,079 of 11,346
It is quite a change hearing the orthos.  I think the thing that is keeping me up until 12:30 is that these simply do make the instruments not only sound more substantial and less etched, but simply more organic.  It really simply makes me listen to the music, vs the soundstage.  And oddly, instruments sound bigger.  The HD650 creates a bigger space with the instruments placed in space.  The t50rp with the mod (not without it) is placing the instruments in the SAME space.  It's not as big but...

Tord, if you want "analytical" these are not for you.  If you want a JH13-IEM over an Etymotic, these are for you.  If not, stick with the K701s/2s.  They are just that different.  These are not "warm" at all, it's simply that they have no grain or fuzz at the top end, and they are remarkably full down to at least 30Hz. With the bezel mods the bass definitely is deeper than the 650.  They are very well balanced on my rig, piano is percusive and well balanced, voices are smooth without grain or etching.  In a sense, there's no feeling of excess detail. It's not stereo, it's music.

Personally, I bought these as a cheap rig for my office, but now I'm not so sure...  Maybe buy another t50rp in March when the next container hits the US.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #1,080 of 11,346

Quote:
Hm, I don't own an amp besides the Xonar. The HD25 actuallyis imho close to whatyou describe, forward, entertaining and lively. 

Just to clarify: we're talking about that thing? 

US-Price for a new one is 79 USD, Europrice is 149€ - seems like another grado to me, absolutely overpriced in the EU. 
I better close this chapter, that one seemsto be just not what I'm looking for. 

Er, if you have read the thread at all you know this has nothing in common with a grado, at all.  It's orthodynamic, not voicecoil.  But whatever, if it's not your thing there's tons of other great stuff out there.  Cheers!

If you look at my profile, all my gear is vastly higher priced.  And this, out of the box is good, but with a little time and care and $15 in goop and foam, these things compete with cans 5-10x their price.  I'm totally jazzed I stumbled on this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back