Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Dec 14, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #10,865 of 11,345
I agree with you sir folex...... but I have learned that for better audio reproduction, some criteria has to be met...
as I am focusing on speed, smoothness and accuracy of driver; the diaphgram has to meet the following criteria

Strenght: the diaphgram should be strong enough to reproduce strong low and high frequency without changing shape, physical composition or chemical properties

Weight:the diaphgram should be light enough to move freely on low frequency

Damped: the diaphgram should be damped enough that it doesnt goes hssssing or ringing and niether creating harmonic distortion

I saw many legendary manufacturers focus on the all 3 aspects (which is tough) because only two aspects are present most of the time(example is paper driver, they are well damped and light but not strong) thats why people move on crossovers in loudspeaker and headphones
so according to the frequency they can match their needs

Now the technology behind 3m rubberized aerosol spray is that it creates a light layer of sponge (micro meter)... hence sponge has higher surface area and damped pretty well it moves more air, thus increasing spl and dampness creates accuracy in frequency graphs (my theory if I am wrong please tell me)

I am new here and I want a perfect mod for my headphones because those would be my first and my last from my mom and dad

And I am pretty well shure they will buy me a samson sr950. ...

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #10,867 of 11,345
I agree with you sir folex...... but I have learned that for better audio reproduction, some criteria has to be met...
as I am focusing on speed, smoothness and accuracy of driver; the diaphgram has to meet the following criteria

Strenght: the diaphgram should be strong enough to reproduce strong low and high frequency without changing shape, physical composition or chemical properties

Weight:the diaphgram should be light enough to move freely on low frequency

Damped: the diaphgram should be damped enough that it doesnt goes hssssing or ringing and niether creating harmonic distortion

I saw many legendary manufacturers focus on the all 3 aspects (which is tough) because only two aspects are present most of the time(example is paper driver, they are well damped and light but not strong) thats why people move on crossovers in loudspeaker and headphones
so according to the frequency they can match their needs

Now the technology behind 3m rubberized aerosol spray is that it creates a light layer of sponge (micro meter)... hence sponge has higher surface area and damped pretty well it moves more air, thus increasing spl and dampness creates accuracy in frequency graphs (my theory if I am wrong please tell me)

I am new here and I want a perfect mod for my headphones because those would be my first and my last from my mom and dad

And I am pretty well shure they will buy me a samson sr950. ...

Do you think these headphones have regular dynamic drivers? 

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #10,868 of 11,345
A few pages back someone was asking for help with a dead driver.

Sad news, I just busted a driver without knowing why, I tried to open it and resolver but doesn't work. Any ideas? Also if anyone have a single driver for sale would be much appreciated

The biggest driver-killer is the solder pad fracturing from the driver trace, which is thin and fragile.  The solder pad is only held down with a super-thin adhesive, and if tugged on or over-heated it'll rip, sometimes without showing the damage, and then you either get an intermittent connection, or an "open" circuit.  If the resistance on the driver is over 70 ohms it is dead.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 14, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #10,869 of 11,345

The biggest driver-killer is the solder pad fracturing from the driver trace, which is thin and fragile.  The solder pad is only held down with a super-thin adhesive, and if tugged on or over-heated it'll rip, sometimes without showing the damage, and then you either get an intermittent connection, or an "open" circuit.  If the resistance on the driver is over 70 ohms it is dead.  
sir I think that the manufacturer nowadays uses cheap components and fine tune it

As per audiogrades...all old headphones were better built
compare the pioneer 1978 monitor to pioneer 2004 monitor r.....

Open those both two and experiment with it

You will find a huge difference

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #10,870 of 11,345
Just in case you haaave the problem with fragility of material.... they are not audiophile grade as older people used to make... they used to focus on driver quality more than the companies today who focus on audio chamber and cut down total expenses

When I compared senn hd800 with a
Stax sr lambda pro classic... the hd800 are no where standing (with eq tuning for shure) and the vintage are sturdy built with greater mod opportunities

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #10,871 of 11,345
Originally Posted by Folex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How did you get them on ? When I tried to remove the ring the whole pad came apart. I wanted to sew the pads back together but its near impossible. I'd expect this craftmanship from a chinese knockoff company. Even worse is I ordered the pads directly from them for $45. 

So, I think the problem you're having is because HiFiMAN has changed the construction of the pads. The original pleather and velour pads that come with the HE-400 have an additional vinyl-type flexible material sewn on the inside edge of the ear pad covering. It stretches over the plastic mounting ring to keep everything in place. That's how I'm able to remove the plastic mounting ring and thin foam disc insert without the rest of the pad materials coming apart. See below:

Looks like I won't be trying the FocusPad on the T50RP after all...hmph.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #10,873 of 11,345
sir I think that the manufacturer nowadays uses cheap components and fine tune it

As per audiogrades...all old headphones were better built
compare the pioneer 1978 monitor to pioneer 2004 monitor r.....

Open those both two and experiment with it

You will find a huge difference

Just in case you haaave the problem with fragility of material.... they are not audiophile grade as older people used to make... they used to focus on driver quality more than the companies today who focus on audio chamber and cut down total expenses

When I compared senn hd800 with a
Stax sr lambda pro classic... the hd800 are no where standing (with eq tuning for shure) and the vintage are sturdy built with greater mod opportunities

Not entirely true. The thing about the materials is that with passing time the demands are different. Technology also evolves and sometimes come back round for revisiting otherwise abandoned ideas, planar magnetic being one of them since dynamic drivers are lighter, probably much easier to make, not as prone to scratching off voice traces, etc. At the same time, new materials are developed which allow different designs to be made. For better or for worse, but the choice of new materials will often have a good reason behind it. While perhaps in the past things were not so disposable but I wouldn't discount build quality to the current era just because.

If durability was the leading definition of audiophile grade then the stuff construction workers use must be the highest of qualities out there.

As far as drivers materials go, they opt for thinner diaphragms because it works better on bringing out sound designed a way to match today's demands and standards. The drawback is that they are more delicate, but they also aren't as power hungry.

As far as build quality, I'd have to say that in the past the attention to visible detail may have been greater, made with what seems like higher quality or durable/thicker materials. They're also often obnoxiously heavy and bulky. The designs were often simpler so easier to make. And based on variances we find in different units of same model vintage gear, it's probably safe to say the production quality is inconsistent where it is not obvious or visible to the eye. There may even be backlash from the society's point of view if for example a manufacturer were to bring out a predominantly metal construction again... accusing the company for trying to make their clients into walking lightning rods... lol who knows.

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #10,874 of 11,345
Hi...another noob here

I've finally joined the forum after reading this thread for a while.

I just want to thank you guys for the entertaining read and the nearly endless creative ideas here before I embark on my own obsession.

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #10,875 of 11,345
Hi...another noob here

I've finally joined the forum after reading this thread for a while.

I just want to thank you guys for the entertaining read and the nearly endless creative ideas here before I embark on my own obsession.

Glad to hear it :) my T50rps were the first true "hifi" headphones. Now all I can think is not how good they are, but how terrible everything else is. Multiple piars of $250 schenhisers have nothing on them (or any other brand) which surprised me. It really is an obsession. But a great one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back