Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jan 7, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #10,501 of 11,345
  That's a cheap regular foam though. I'd want to try memory foam. Although regular memory foam doesn't breathe that well either, hmm. 

No you have to watch for it. They get in really pliant type every once in a while. The breathability  issue remains however. I have played around with a thin 2-3 mm open cell foam sanwiched on top and that gives a little relief. A good velour cover helps some as well.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #10,502 of 11,345
Speaking of foam, I did find some pretty nice sheets. I didn't pick up the memory foam ones (would have been PERFECT to make earpads, they were super soft) but only the regular ones... still one of the softer foams I found. It's just not very thick so I'd have to stack donuts the day I start making pads again.

Though honestly foam's own breathability probably isn't so much of an issue... the more plush and flush the pads sit on your face the warmer it gets. Even with velours... some velour pads have leather/pleather backings too, yet still feel decently cool simply due to the foam not being entirely form-fitting like softer memory foam.

Well, I'm far from being any expert at velour pads (mostly only tried Beyer and AKG ones) so any input to outrule what I just wrote would be helpful for my own learning as well.

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #10,503 of 11,345
  Speaking of foam, I did find some pretty nice sheets. I didn't pick up the memory foam ones (would have been PERFECT to make earpads, they were super soft) but only the regular ones... still one of the softer foams I found. It's just not very thick so I'd have to stack donuts the day I start making pads again.

Though honestly foam's own breathability probably isn't so much of an issue... the more plush and flush the pads sit on your face the warmer it gets. Even with velours... some velour pads have leather/pleather backings too, yet still feel decently cool simply due to the foam not being entirely form-fitting like softer memory foam.

Well, I'm far from being any expert at velour pads (mostly only tried Beyer and AKG ones) so any input to outrule what I just wrote would be helpful for my own learning as well.

The problem comes down to wickability. Even the best solution requires somewhere to wick the perspiration to. With headphones that becomes a problem as they tend to be used in areas of low airflow so there is no where really for the perspiration to go.

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #10,504 of 11,345
Though in memory foam's case, wouldn't it get mostly trapped within the foam?
It should be the same for most materials, as pleather and leather aren't fully water/moisture-tight either. Especially not when it comes to ear pads.

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #10,505 of 11,345
  Though in memory foam's case, wouldn't it get mostly trapped within the foam?
It should be the same for most materials, as pleather and leather aren't fully water/moisture-tight either. Especially not when it comes to ear pads.

Memory foam does not (in my experience) retain a lot of fluid.Trapped is the right word though. Nowhere to go with no significant airflow.

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #10,507 of 11,345
  We could just perforate the memory foam...

Then you may as well just use regular open cell stuff. I do wonder if perhaps using some kind of coolmax on the surround might at least wick from the actual contact area. May be a semi solution.

Wondering when someone is going to suggest a fan
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #10,508 of 11,345
Small perforations shouldn't affect the shaping and comfort, but still improve breathability. You can buy mattress toppers like that now. The question is how to accurately put small holes into the foam (a drill?).

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #10,509 of 11,345
  Small perforations shouldn't affect the shaping and comfort, but still improve breathability. You can buy mattress toppers like that now. The question is how to accurately put small holes into the foam (a drill?).

That stuff's diabolical when friction gets involved. Perhaps very small diameter tubing razor sharpened at one end  and punched through.

Jan 9, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #10,510 of 11,345
Try a leather belt punch. I can get perfect holes of various sizes through memory foam discs that way.

Jan 9, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #10,511 of 11,345
And I'd think compressing (perhaps with a hard flat template) before punching/drilling would be better as well.

Jan 9, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #10,513 of 11,345
Better than no hole at all?

(I say the strangest things on this forums sometimes...)

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #10,515 of 11,345
There was this one time I met a transvestite... oh wait, I already told that story
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back