Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 16, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #2,551 of 11,346

Quote:

And yes, a reflex dot goes right on the back of the driver.  I wouldn't make it too big, because you want to use something that will reflect the sound back over the driver.

To add, only in the center square. The dot is to cover the center square all the way to almost alleviate the congestion of the sound.

Sep 16, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #2,552 of 11,346
What kind of amp are people using to run these? I currently have a PPAv2 which does a decent job with my Magnums and DT880 so wondering if that's enough for these or should i get something better.

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #2,554 of 11,346
For those of you on a small budget the FiiO e7/e9 combo works fine for me (a few others here are using this as well)

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #2,555 of 11,346

Quote:
For those of you on a small budget the FiiO e7/e9 combo works fine for me (a few others here are using this as well)

FiiO E5/6 will also work fine. But you won't get much battery life, about an hour and not too loud. But it adds more power to the weak source if you need more power

FiiO E7 would be a good start if on a budget, E9 can come later

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #2,556 of 11,346

Quote:
reflex dot increases HF. Any non porous material eg scotch tape will do as it reflects HF coming out the back of the driver back towards your ear. To much damping on the back of the driver will have a similar effect. That is also why removing the stock damping on the back of the driver and replacing it with something more permeable will lift the bass.

This is perfect.  Thanks for this.  My T50RP now sounds slightly on the warm side, it's very smooth and warm, and the bass has enormous impact (you can literally feel the vibrations).  However, I always have this nagging feeling that the HF is a little weak, and would like to pick it back up.

One mod I forgot to mention in my previous post.  I am using SA5K pads, and have stuffed some acoustic foam at the back of the pads to angle them forward.  The phones are definitely more comfy after that, and gives a lot of warmth and bass impact after the change.

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #2,557 of 11,346

Quote:
What kind of amp are people using to run these? 

I've been using an Indeed which hasn't been too bad but am hoping that the CTH I have inbound will provide a nice boost in performance. I feel that I could be putting more power into the Fostexes than the Indeed provides. With my new DAC I am higher than I want to be on the volume pot (~1-2 o'clock).

Read the Thunderpants thread, there are many people raving about that combination. It should be a nice combination and doesn't break the bank at <$300.

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #2,558 of 11,346
I was referring more to if the T50RP was hard to drive like say the K1000 is hard to drive since I do read a lot about how these like power but that does not seem to be the case unless most people are using more powerful amps.

I have a DIY PPAv2 amp which is a pretty capable amp as it is as it does a decent job with my Magnums and DT880 which is not easy to drive. I think I'm going to try it with the PPAv2 and if I find myself wanting a higher performance I will look into something better and possibly tubes but that will not be cheap.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #2,559 of 11,346
E7.  Don't bother with the other Fiios for low ohm cans.  The E5 also has bass roll off as if it were high ohm, so nix that too.  Grado clone might work, but still no word on whether it's got a rail splitter or what impedance it is.  Also don't know if the battery blowing out cans would still be a problem like other cmoys.  E7 is a safe bet.

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #2,560 of 11,346
Just in time for the weekend.. the T50RPs arrived today.

Out of the box, I'm actually quite impressed.  These deliver for an $80 studio monitoring can, IMO.  Slightly mid-forward, but very uncolored to my ears.  Bass goes deep, but lacks some presence & punch.  Mids have impressive clarity, weight & tone.  There is a honky upper mid spike somewhere that's a bit bothersome & the mids lack some control right now.. but I like the tonality of the mids a lot: natural, balanced, neutral, but musical.  Treble is smooth and rolled off, but they have a nice touch of air and detail.  Soundstage is again, impressive for a closed can.  Imaging is excellent.

I can hear the potential though.  These seem like a far cry from the impressions I read that say, out of the box, they're absolute garbage.  Not so fast my friends!

Even the stock pads are pretty good.. I find them comfy, clamping well enough.  Stuffing some cotton or fiberloft under them to move my ears away from the baffle is a good move.

Off to burn in and can't wait to mod this weekend!

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #2,561 of 11,346
Congrats!
We all hear differently, remember? And yes, that upper mid spike was really nasty.
Post your tweaking results soon.

Quote:
Just in time for the weekend.. the T50RPs arrived today.

Out of the box, I'm actually quite impressed.  These deliver for an $80 studio monitoring can, IMO.  Slightly mid-forward, but very uncolored to my ears.  Bass goes deep, but lacks some presence & punch.  Mids have impressive clarity, weight & tone.  There is a honky upper mid spike somewhere that's a bit bothersome & the mids lack some control right now.. but I like the tonality of the mids a lot: natural, balanced, neutral, but musical.  Treble is smooth and rolled off, but they have a nice touch of air and detail.  Soundstage is again, impressive for a closed can.  Imaging is excellent.

I can hear the potential though.  These seem like a far cry from the impressions I read that say, out of the box, they're absolute garbage.  Not so fast my friends!

Even the stock pads are pretty good.. I find them comfy, clamping well enough.  Stuffing some cotton or fiberloft under them to move my ears away from the baffle is a good move.

Off to burn in and can't wait to mod this weekend!

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #2,563 of 11,346
You guys should show pictures of your recable! And does recabling these make a difference? They sound pretty 'liquid' as is. I'm hoping to know if a recable if worth the difference.

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #2,564 of 11,346

Quote:
You guys should show pictures of your recable! And does recabling these make a difference? They sound pretty 'liquid' as is. I'm hoping to know if a recable if worth the difference.

FWIW, I did NOT recable mine. I think the stock cable is fine as long as it is making proper contact.

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #2,565 of 11,346
The FA003 pads (leather and velour) do not fit on the T50RP.. at least if you're trying to put them on in a traditional manner.  I "stuck" the velour pads on to see how it would feel and, boy, the comfort is downright sinful.  Soundstage is insane since my ears aren't anywhere near the baffle.  If this is the type of comfort I can look forward to when the O2 pads arrive, I'll never have to hear my wife yell at me again  
tongue_smile.gif

A few questions.. are you guys scraping the felt off the ear-facing side of the baffle?  I got the top layer off and cut around the driver to expose it.. but the rest of the felt is practically impossibly to fully remove.. should I just stick the acoustic foam on top it all & be done with it?

How do I get the cups off the headband?  Do they snap off at the articulating bearing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back