Just like the Denon D5000s but a bit better isolation???
Jan 17, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #18 of 29

Quote:
If you like your Denons, maybe all you need are aftermarket ear pads or modding to get a better seal around your ears.

The only pads I have read for the Ds are part of the MarkL mod?!?
Are there any others that fit?

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #19 of 29

Quote:
for which headphones????
@LithoJazoSphere, doesn't the PRO900 sport a 'V-shaped' sound signature?? I can't live without my mids! ;-p
At everyone else, I'll try to compare them to my current cans when I can and keep you updated. BTW, I also found some Beyer DT 770 Pro 80 cheap so both are on the way.
Thanks.

The D5000 already has a V-shaped frequency response, so you've been "living without your mids" anyway.  The curve on the Pro 900 is a little steeper, yes, but the mids are surprisingly clear and detailed given how strong the bass is and how bright the treble is.  It might put you a little further into that shape of graph than you want to, but it's not as if you're moving from a neutral can to a V-shaped one, it's just the degree of the slope of the graph.  Also, the DT770 has a similar V-shape as well.  But that's pretty par for the course for bassy headphones.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #20 of 29

Quote:
Pro 900 is probably the closest you'll find. 

The Pro 900s leak more than the denons, the ultrasone HFI780 has some serious clamp and had great isolation but not a match for SQ of the denon unless you want a U curve sig, you could look as the ultrasone signature pro with the pads it should offer good isolation but thats just a guess.

Failing that you could get some lauton audio angle pads for the denons or J money pads to help the isolation.

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #21 of 29
Really? My Pro 900 leaks much less than my Denons 
confused.gif

Quote:

The Pro 900s leak more than the denons,

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #22 of 29

Quote:
Really? My Pro 900 leaks much less than my Denons 
confused.gif

+1, I don't know closed headphone with more leaks than D2000.

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:
Have you considered replacement ear pads?

The Denons mostly leak through the port/vent between the baffle and the cup.  Tyll's graphs don't show much difference in isolation between the stock and J$ pads.

Quote:
Yet the W1000X doesn't isolate very well.

They do isolate better than the Denons though.

Quote:
Sennheiser HD25-1 II. Good in every way, and when you recable them, they have good soundstage as well :D.

Plenty of isolation but not nearly as comfy.

Quote:
The only pads I have read for the Ds are part of the MarkL mod?!?
Are there any others that fit?

The lip of the pads slip over a plastic ring that locks in to place sou you could make a lot of different pads fit fairly easily.  They'd probably change the sound a lot though.  It might take quite a bit of experimentation to find something that sounds good and adds to the isolation.  It still leaves the vent though.  It lets through a lot of sound and would probably ruin the sound if you sealed it.

The W1000x would be the closest of the 'phones mentioned so far.  It also has a mildly V shaped response with rich mids in the middle.  Generally Beyers and Ultrasones  have colder mids and a more metallic timbre then the D5000s or the W1000x.

A pair of Smeggy Thunderpants will have great mids, deep bass, and tons of isolation with the proper pads.  I have my own pair of modded T50RPs and they're my favorite out of my current and past headphones.

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #24 of 29
Also OP, if you haven't already you may want to consider IEMs if isolation is a priority.

Quote:
+1, I don't know closed headphone with more leaks than D2000.

There are open 'phones that leak less and some that isolate as well as the OP's D5000...

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #25 of 29

Quote:
The D5000 already has a V-shaped frequency response, so you've been "living without your mids" anyway.  The curve on the Pro 900 is a little steeper, yes, but the mids are surprisingly clear and detailed given how strong the bass is and how bright the treble is.  It might put you a little further into that shape of graph than you want to, but it's not as if you're moving from a neutral can to a V-shaped one, it's just the degree of the slope of the graph.  Also, the DT770 has a similar V-shape as well.  But that's pretty par for the course for bassy headphones.

Oh I agree... compared with my SRH940s, the mids on the D5000 are not up to par (to my ears at least!) but they aren't as far apart either... in fact, their mids remind me a bit of the HD600s... And that's what I read regarding the DT770 and just like you said, it seems that's what happens with "bassy" headphones. Still, as long as the curve is not very steep in such a way that I cannot enjoy vocals or guitar/acoustic tracks like I want, I'll try them. Guess I'll select the best (to my ears) and most comfortable with less sound leakage/better isolation and go from there.

Thanks!

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #26 of 29

Quote:

Failing that you could get some lauton audio angle pads for the denons or J money pads to help the isolation.

I didn't know these existed (Lauton)!
Had heard of the JMoney but didn't think a change of pads would suffice...

(and it seems that by reading the other responses, I was correct in that regard,..)

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #27 of 29

Quote:
Also OP, if you haven't already you may want to consider IEMs if isolation is a priority.

There are open 'phones that leak less and some that isolate as well as the OP's D5000...

Thanks for the recs.!
Actually I really don't like IEMs!!! lol
I haven't tried all of course, but of the ones I've had/got I always have problems
with the fit... and I don't know, I guess I'm picky and don't like shoving stuff down my ear canals! :p

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:
Thanks for the recs.!
Actually I really don't like IEMs!!! lol
I haven't tried all of course, but of the ones I've had/got I always have problems
with the fit... and I don't know, I guess I'm picky and don't like shoving stuff down my ear canals! :p

I hope you find something that works out for you.  Its pretty hard to find good "closed" headphones that are actually closed and have some degree of isolation.  I've done my own fair share of research looking for something similar for myself.

I figured I should have at least mentioned IEMs in case they slipped your mind.  They're great if you find them comfortable but not everyone does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back