**Just got Denon d2000's**
Apr 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #46 of 59
They are bass headphones, there's no getting around that. Their bass is a bit elevated compared to the rest of their sound signature. It also extends very deep but is a bit slow, making for a muddy high bass and a bit darkly colored lower midrange.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #47 of 59

Quote:
They are bass headphones, there's no getting around that. Their bass is a bit elevated compared to the rest of their sound signature. It also extends very deep but is a bit slow, making for a muddy high bass and a bit darkly colored lower midrange.

IMO they aren't.
If anything I found their mids to be more upfront.
Coming form the XB700's that said.
For your average person - these aren't - especially seeing as u can buy these in HMV.

I'm not talking LCD2 or HD800.

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #50 of 59
XB = extra bass--right?

The D2000 are mainstream cans.

If you have XB,"XT" or "XM" headphones, you are starting from a skewed sound perspective.  Almost all cans will sound light on the "X" factor.  That speaks far more to your frame of reference cans than the "new" ones to which you are comparing them.

Example from the other end of the spectrum: owner and fan of Grado SR 325is complains that another can has dull and recessed treble & upper-mids compared to the Grado.

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #51 of 59
Correction (at least my opinion)
D2K's WANT to be mainstream - but fail in doing so vs the beast pros

People who are "mainstream" don't buy the D2K's
So in fact the D2K's are only really popular with audio-enthusiasts or people who know how NOT to get ripped off by Monster.

It's almost like comparing the HD25's vs the HD650 or something.

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #52 of 59
Has anyone experienced both the D2000s and Audeze LCD-2? Looking for a bass comparison, as far as I'm concerned D2000s have nailed it but an idiot friend of mine thought they nailed it too, maxed out the volume, and blew my right channel on the D2000s :frowning2:

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #53 of 59

Quote:
Correction (at least my opinion)
D2K's WANT to be mainstream - but fail in doing so vs the beast pros

People who are "mainstream" don't buy the D2K's
So in fact the D2K's are only really popular with audio-enthusiasts or people who know how NOT to get ripped off by Monster.

It's almost like comparing the HD25's vs the HD650 or something.

Perhaps we're both right. 

For we "Pig in the Python" Boomers no bass monster cans could ever qualify as mainstream.  For the other markets, such as those aimed at teens and 20's, they probably are.

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #54 of 59
After reading about the ZO2 a bit more I think I'll skip it. Read in another thread that they distorted with the D2000 and the bass did not sound good at all. I might be looking at the FiiO E10 to see if it improves. I do like the D2000. When I say I like the bass of the XB500 it does not mean I actually like the headphone. It has good bass but everything else sounds drowned off. 

I'm looking more and more to the Beyer DT770 Pro 80ohms and the Ultrasone PRO 900. Been reading more about them and it seems like they might have the bass I'm looking for. I'll probably get the DT770 considering they are about half the price of the Ultrasones

edit: Just noticed that I can get the FiiO E17 for $140. Is that a good price compared to $209 on Amazon.com? 

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #56 of 59

Quote:
After reading about the ZO2 a bit more I think I'll skip it. Read in another thread that they distorted with the D2000 and the bass did not sound good at all. I might be looking at the FiiO E10 to see if it improves. I do like the D2000. When I say I like the bass of the XB500 it does not mean I actually like the headphone. It has good bass but everything else sounds drowned off. 

Who ever told you that is lying :wink:

I have the ZO2 almost always hooked up when i listen to my D2K's and I get 0 distortion. 

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #57 of 59

Quote:

Who ever told you that is lying :wink:

I have the ZO2 almost always hooked up when i listen to my D2K's and I get 0 distortion. 

not sure where I read it but it might have been the Ultrasone PRO 900. 
So ZO2 back on the table. I was looking at some reviews and I see that there's the ZO2.1 and the ZO2.3. Which one is better? I'm assuming that most resellers are selling the ZO2.3? Also what about the original ZO?

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #58 of 59

Quote:
not sure where I read it but it might have been the Ultrasone PRO 900. 
So ZO2 back on the table. I was looking at some reviews and I see that there's the ZO2.1 and the ZO2.3. Which one is better? I'm assuming that most resellers are selling the ZO2.3? Also what about the original ZO?

You won't be able to find the other ZO versions.
Only the ZO2.3, on amazon, etc.

Unless that said, you buy it used/old from another member here.
I don't know which is better, but i like my ZO2.3 very much :)

And yeah there were reports with the Pro 900 - that's got nothing to do with the D2K's though :wink:
And again, it depends on what you are sourcing/paring it with, amps etc...some people reported problems with the pro900 some others said it was fine.
long story short, if you want a bass boosting amp, the ZO2 should be your first, and only ever stop.

if you want to drive them much louder, and keep them "clean/lean" sounding, then get the e11 or one of the ones in the fiiO family.

May 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #59 of 59
Thanks for the suggestions. I still don't know to either get the ZO2 or FiiO E11. Now I'm looking at the E17. So many choices. I just want to get them all and try it lol. I'm leaning more towards the E11 since I will using the headphones more for movies and games.

I'll check out your comparison. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back