JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #91 of 2,420
@Krisman
When I did get them in and started listening I was struck with how average they sounded. There were not massively detailed nor did they have the great soundstage of something like a high end Dunu. The highs were a tad bright and occasionally I got the sense the highs were a bit too immediate and overly sharp. I listened to them through an AK120 Mk2 and my Sony ZX1 and got the same characteristics on each player.

I'm not doubting your conclusions, but I've always had the impression that the Layla was mostly about top notch clarity that is readily apparent, even across a group of different people with varying preferences in sound. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on the Layla.

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #93 of 2,420
I was looking at a picture of the Laylas in someones ear they are big, but intended fro engineers it doesn't matter since there not made really for portable audio.  I think the custom version is going to stick out far also, I don't see them shrinking them down much the body will have to be long since there is 12 drivers per side and them using a 4th order crossover that is going to take up a lot of room there is a lot of components in a 4th order crossover. I could be wrong but I think these will be the biggest customs ever made.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #94 of 2,420
  I was looking at a picture of the Laylas in someones ear they are big, but intended fro engineers it doesn't matter since there not made really for portable audio.  I think the custom version is going to stick out far also, I don't see them shrinking them down much the body will have to be long since there is 12 drivers per side and them using a 4th order crossover that is going to take up a lot of room there is a lot of components in a 4th order crossover. I could be wrong but I think these will be the biggest customs ever made.

Pretty sure they are the exact same size as the Roxanne which in custom form don't stick out any further than other CIEMs. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #97 of 2,420
Wait until they come out with 20 drivers per side and make a behind the ear like some hearing aids with just the tube going into your ear.

Pretty soon, CIEMs will be so big with a gazillion drivers that they'll come attached to headbands to keep them from falling off. They'll be like custom headphones. 
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #99 of 2,420
Wait until they come out with 20 drivers per side and make a behind the ear like some hearing aids with just the tube going into your ear.

A large number of drivers is only a tuning matter to make it more neutral for example? 3 Balanced armature drivers can cover the entire frequency spectrum. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #100 of 2,420
My brother is a videographer for HBO and works with sound engineers, we were talking about customs and he said most of them use nearfield monitors but some of them have customs and they only use ones with 2 or 3 armatures but they never use them.

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #103 of 2,420
Have you seen ranko audio RIE-2020? It is only 8000 USD...

Based on their 2+1 design, I highly doubt that it will sound any better than the Layla or the K10.

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #104 of 2,420
Based on their 2+1 design, I highly doubt that it will sound any better than the Layla or the K10.

Any one who would even consider an iem for 8K must be nuts, it cost more than a stax setup including an after market amp.

The cable is RHA-6000 which is 11900 RMB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back