JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #106 of 2,420
Any one who would even consider an iem for 8K must be nuts, it cost more than a stax setup including an after market amp.

The cable is RHA-6000 which is 11900 RMB.

That wouldn't be carrying around a brick. More like a cinder block.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #108 of 2,420
  I would not bet on that. The Ref1 sounds better than 90% of multi BA designs I have owned. Easily.

Maybe, too bad it's next to impossible to do a review on this.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #110 of 2,420
You have the RIE1020? It seems to me everyone has the idea the more BA'S the better it is.

This started with JHA. At the time, the JH13 was hailed as the latest and greatest partly because of the number of drivers it had. Then they had Roxanne going down the same path, Angie vs Layla, etc.

Other manufacturers don't all seem to have been going down that same road though. The new ACS Encore has less drivers than the JH13 from yesteryear; Lear's flagship has only 4 BA's (and 2 Dynamics). AAW's flagship: 5 drivers. EarWerkz: 8. Hidition: 6. Spiral Ears: 5. And the list goes on...

I truly think we've gone past the driver arms race at this point.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #116 of 2,420
JH, 1964 Ears and others are all coming out with new products. When is UE going to do an update.
new products are exciting but as the saying goes if ain't broke why fix it?

What they are doing is instead focus on getting the built right, turn around shortened so less headache for consumers.

As far as I know they are the only internationally know iem maker who can costume tune ciem, that is impressive on its own.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #117 of 2,420
new products are exciting but as the saying goes if ain't broke why fix it?

What they are doing is instead focus on getting the built right, turn around shortened so less headache for consumers.

As far as I know they are the only internationally know iem maker who can costume tune ciem, that is impressive on its own.

And there most popular on UERM only has 3 armatures.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #118 of 2,420
Have you seen ranko audio RIE-2020? It is only 8000 USD...

Looks like a Ref.1 - I guess balanced armatures are now called "moving iron drivers" and dynamic drivers are called "moving coil drivers" - I call them dual dynamics and a "cough... cough" custom tuned TWFK - lol.

Yup - Ref.1

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #119 of 2,420
 Knowles TWFK are soooo small and even harder to solder. The first pair I ever soldered I ripped the solder pads right off. I give any tech that handles them all day using magnifying glasses a lot of credit. WIth the Layla having 12 really must have been a challenge to tune, I cant imagine doing a custom for someone with small ears.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #120 of 2,420
   Knowles TWFK are soooo small and even harder to solder. The first pair I ever soldered I ripped the solder pads right off. I give any tech that handles them all day using magnifying glasses a lot of credit. WIth the Layla having 12 really must have been a challenge to tune, I cant imagine doing a custom for someone with small ears.

Correct me if I am wrong - but the Layla is still a three way headphone - so the tuning is a bit easier than tuning 12 individual drivers - those headphone would be MASSIVE - they would have to have a flesh colored portion so they could look like they were part of your ear from a distance....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back