JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Feb 23, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #781 of 1,931
  Will be fun to hear your impressions of universal vs custom versions and comparisons to the other CIEMs you have coming. 
beerchug.gif

Actually it is fun to speak with Angie on JH Audio helpdesk about the Layla :DDD

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #783 of 1,931
oops, 10 weeks .. 

"
Thanks so much for your order.
The carbon fiber pieces to take longer. I would estimated at least 2 1/2 months.
Thanks,
Angie
"

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #784 of 1,931
Well, I've got my review pair from Astell and Kern here today for my Headphone.guru review and I gotta say I am seriously impressed!
eek.gif
 I've only been this amazed with a new pair of headphones a few times in the past (when I got my HD800s, when I first heard the LCD-2s and when I got my SR-009s). The Layla's sound bigger than many full sized headphones I've listened to. 

More to come...

EDIT: Forgot to add the first time I heard the SR-007Mk1s from a proper amp is another one of these special first time listens that still resonates with me.

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #788 of 1,931
  Well, I've got my review pair from Astell and Kern here today for my Headphone.guru review and I gotta say I am seriously impressed!
eek.gif
 I've only been this amazed with a new pair of headphones a few times in the past (when I got my HD800s, when I first heard the LCD-2s and when I got my SR-009s). The Layla's sound bigger than many full sized headphones I've listened to. 

More to come...

EDIT: Forgot to add the first time I heard the SR-007Mk1s from a proper amp is another one of these special first time listens that still resonates with me.

There's more than voicing going on in these. There's a rightness happening on first listen.

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #790 of 1,931
I've had the Layla now for about a week. The first pair I received had a faulty right channel which drove me crazy for a couple of days until I realized that it wasn't a "break-in" issue. Earphone Solutions swapped them out for me without any hesitation (great people!)

In any event, the second pair have been everything I hoped they would be...AMAZING!!! 

I've tried them with just the AK240 for a few days but I have to say that adding the Hugo back in the mix has taken the Layla to another level. I'm a bit surprised given that these were intentionally optimized for the AK240 but no matter...the party is more fun when Hugo attends.

The soundstage is significantly wider and more detailed to my ears, and the mids are more present than with the AK240 alone. 

The only thing missing for me is a better ear tip. The silicone tips are the best of the bunch for me but I wish I had the foam tips from the Shure 846.

Any suggestions?

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #792 of 1,931
  Just curious, those that have the Angie's...Where are you setting the adjustable POT at? For information purposes, I prefer my Shure SE846's with the white filters.

I do about 1 o'clock for the bass. Just the right amount of bass boost for my ears. I haven't went above that (yet). As for tips, I've settle on the Phonak grey silicons at the moment.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #793 of 1,931

Rightness worth the $2500?

Angie is less than 1/2 that and obviously value is always up to the individual. There will be those that just don't like them so price would be a non starter but I happen to think there's something special about these. I was listening to some Dynaudio Evidence speakers last week. Are they worth $85k? Who knows but they were better than some $25 to 50k speakers I've heard. It's all relative and no, I'm not personally buying $85k speakers or over $100k in electronics to really make them sing but who am I to judge another's needs or sense of value.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #794 of 1,931
If you want a 100% solution the Layla is your only choice, but for a 99% solution the other TOTL IEMs will do.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #795 of 1,931
Solution for everyone is different, so I guess that would depend right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back