JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Feb 17, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #751 of 1,931
I am just curious how will things look in the custom format. It surely will be compact as for most people their ear space will offer more space to spread the drivers but I am still pretty sure it will not be a flat finish. No matter what three Quad driver are physically going to take up alot room (excluding the electronics and cables used to connect the drivers).

So I highly doubt to see such revision unless the quad drivers get smaller. I am certain once the CIEM format of both Angie and Layla is open to order JH will be over-whelmed to orders. By the look of it Layla might out-sale Roxanne. 

Time for JH Audio to deploy the same kind of production system we see over at UE where the estimated delivery of IEM after the impression is received to be 7 days.

Feb 17, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #752 of 1,931
  Quick question, I'm trying to get a good fit, but I am having a heck of a time trying to get these to seal properly. I am used to the Shure SE846 standard tips. How far should these tips on the Angie be pushed down? It look like they may be pushed down all the way almost too far, but that may have been because I was struggling to get a good seal and they got pushed down all the way. There is no stop on these guys, so it is a bit tricky, or I am just stupid. LOL...Any tips are appreciated. 

I have the same problem and they seem to have to be pushed in quite far. You will know when the bass comes otherwise the sound will be thin.

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #753 of 1,931
After couple of days with Layla I have done some massive listening and working sessions.. Looks like I will be selling Angie soon :) unfortunately Hidition NT-6 as well .. Layla is another level paired with AK240 (at least to my ears). Didn't expected I will be blown away that much. Bravo Jerry Harvey.

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #754 of 1,931
  I am just curious how will things look in the custom format. It surely will be compact as for most people their ear space will offer more space to spread the drivers but I am still pretty sure it will not be a flat finish. No matter what three Quad driver are physically going to take up alot room (excluding the electronics and cables used to connect the drivers).

So I highly doubt to see such revision unless the quad drivers get smaller. I am certain once the CIEM format of both Angie and Layla is open to order JH will be over-whelmed to orders. By the look of it Layla might out-sale Roxanne. 

Time for JH Audio to deploy the same kind of production system we see over at UE where the estimated delivery of IEM after the impression is received to be 7 days.

I could even handle 6 - 8 weeks delivery time for customs.  It's the months upon months that scares me off. Should be interesting.

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #755 of 1,931
After couple of days with Layla I have done some massive listening and working sessions.. Looks like I will be selling Angie soon :) unfortunately Hidition NT-6 as well .. Layla is another level paired with AK240 (at least to my ears). Didn't expected I will be blown away that much. Bravo Jerry Harvey.

If you get a chance for some Angie and Layla comparisons before you let Angie go, I'd would be most appreciative!

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #756 of 1,931

I could even handle 6 - 8 weeks delivery time for customs.  It's the months upon months that scares me off. Should be interesting.

UE uses 3-D stereolithography printing and render everything from CAD much faster, they can make as many shells as there printer bed will fit at a time. JH is using a CNC mill with some of there products and mill a solid block of acrylic which is nice and makes a very sturdy product but is time consuming. It's awesome to see them using different kinds of manufacturing processes. I really like the Stereolithograph printing it is very accurate to a tenths of an inch so is milling also, but with milling they need to hog out the insides of the shells with stereolithograph they can print any wholes or threads in one shot.

Feb 17, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #758 of 1,931

The vendor doesn't give you like a 15 day return period?

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #760 of 1,931
I wonder how much of the divergence in preference of audition has to do with the universal nature of these. I can remember but when I compared them, I think they may have had dual flange tips. That does tend to very slightly smooth and warm the presentation. When the sound is this close to right. It's enough to sway things.

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #761 of 1,931
Originally Posted by goodvibes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how much of the divergence in preference of audition has to do with the universal nature of these. I can remember but when I compared them, I think they may have had dual flange tips. That does tend to very slightly smooth and warm the presentation. When the sound is this close to right. It's enough to sway things.

More "neutral" responses such as Etymotic ER-4S always tend to be more controversial due to being brighter and less bass. I doubt tips has anything to do with it but improper insertion where the foam closes around the barrel will reduce the higher frequencies.

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #764 of 1,931
Tips affect depth of fit, which in turn affects treble reaponse (ex: moving a peak further up the FR, and reduction of peak, with reference plane fit verses shallow fit), as does the bore of the tip, which can create a horn or inverse horn effect. Foam and silicone can affect seal and reflections. Foam overhang partially blocking the soind hole is just one of a myriad of ways to impact sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back