JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Feb 20, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #766 of 1,931
I don't believe in any Holy Grail of earphones. There are simply some great ones (royal court if you will). I've stated this since I've been a member of head-fi. The K3003 is definitely a monarch among all of the IEMs I've heard. I have the Angie in my ears now (using the large K3003 tips), and Wow!!. As james444 stated, it's gets to be a sound preference in the end. For me, the Angie is BA dream sound signature (like the FX850 is my dream dynamic sound signature). But there are some things the K3003 does better in my brief comparison (it has a bit more natural sound than the Angie). For me (and I believe in burn-in for BA and dynamic iems), both are virtually tied in pleasure of sound. I actually think, however, that the Angie is the greater value. More on this later. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #767 of 1,931
Wow ordering straight away :)

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #769 of 1,931
Tips affect depth of fit, which in turn affects treble reaponse (ex: moving a peak further up the FR, and reduction of peak, with reference plane fit verses shallow fit), as does the bore of the tip, which can create a horn or inverse horn effect. Foam and silicone can affect seal and reflections. Foam overhang partially blocking the soind hole is just one of a myriad of ways to impact sound.

While true there is also more subtle differences between tips with similar bores and depth.

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #770 of 1,931
Feb 20, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #771 of 1,931
  I don't believe in any Holy Grail of earphones. There are simply some great ones (royal court if you will). I've stated this since I've been a member of head-fi. The K3003 is definitely a monarch among all of the IEMs I've heard. I have the Angie in my ears now (using the large K3003 tips), and Wow!!. As james444 stated, it's gets to be a sound preference in the end. For me, the Angie is BA dream sound signature (like the FX850 is my dream dynamic sound signature). But there are some things the K3003 does better in my brief comparison (it has a bit more natural sound than the Angie). For me (and I believe in burn-in for BA and dynamic iems), both are virtually tied in pleasure of sound. I actually think, however, that the Angie is the greater value. More on this later. 

If they're like other JHAs, there will be a noticeable change. Don't know what part(s) break in but they move.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #772 of 1,931
  If they're like other JHAs, there will be a noticeable change. Don't know what part(s) break in but they move.

beerchug.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #773 of 1,931
Don't know mang, EarPods are purty holy grail status.

When I tried a bunch of high end stuff at a meet, my GR07 BE still stayed just as beautiful :wink:

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #777 of 1,931
Can't wait for the customs!! Let's measure the build time frame :) Ordered on 21th Feb 2015 (order no. 20110), impressions will be sent today (approx. 3 days for delivery). Not having high expectations for receiving them anytime soon, so I will have to enjoy universal Layla in the meantime :)

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #778 of 1,931
  Can't wait for the customs!! Let's measure the build time frame :) Ordered on 21th Feb 2015 (order no. 20110), impressions will be sent today (approx. 3 days for delivery). Not having high expectations for receiving them anytime soon, so I will have to enjoy universal Layla in the meantime :)

You go with Layla or Angie customs? I have to go get impressions as I am finally thinking about pulling the trigger on some customs, just not sure I want to risk my first outing on customs with the very expensive Layla's...I think I will be getting a demo pair of the Layla universal soon, hopefully I can test them against the Angie before my return period is up...

One quick question, are the impressions re-usable? Or do I need to get new ones each time I want a new pair of customs?

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #779 of 1,931

You go with Layla or Angie customs? I have to go get impressions as I am finally thinking about pulling the trigger on some customs, just not sure I want to risk my first outing on customs with the very expensive Layla's...I think I will be getting a demo pair of the Layla universal soon, hopefully I can test them against the Angie before my return period is up...

One quick question, are the impressions re-usable? Or do I need to get new ones each time I want a new pair of customs?

I went with the Layla customs. Layla seems to be more skilled to my ears than Angie. Mostly in high mids and high frequencies.
Once you have sent your impressions in, they can re-use them in some time frame again (2 years?) but it's more safe to obtain new pair. The shape of your ears is slowly changing over time, so to invest 20 EUR more for a proper fit is crucial when you are ordering 2.5k customs I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back