JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Feb 24, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #797 of 1,931
  There's more than voicing going on in these. There's a rightness happening on first listen.

Agreed...there's layering, tactility, spaciousness, naturalness, etc... They are still putting a huge smile on my face as I listen to them!

I do about 1 o'clock for the bass. Just the right amount of bass boost for my ears. I haven't went above that (yet). As for tips, I've settle on the Phonak grey silicons at the moment.

Hey Eric: Long time. 
smile.gif
 I'm finding I prefer the bass around noon...simply perfect for me.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #799 of 1,931
  Agreed...there's layering, tactility, spaciousness, naturalness, etc... They are still putting a huge smile on my face as I listen to them!

Hey Eric: Long time. 
smile.gif
 I'm finding I prefer the bass around noon...simply perfect for me.

How are you MacedonianHero. Looking forward to reading more of your impressions. You have the Layla, right? I have the Angie. Or do you have both?

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #800 of 1,931

How are you MacedonianHero. Looking forward to reading more of your impressions. You have the Layla, right? I have the Angie. Or do you have both?

I've got the Layla's here for a review...I am very impressed with them so far! They sound bigger than many full sized headphones I've heard and the transparency is incredible!

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #801 of 1,931

I've got the Layla's here for a review...I am very impressed with them so far! They sound bigger than many full sized headphones I've heard and the transparency is incredible!

beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #802 of 1,931
I sent an email to Estron about cables for the Roxanne, Angie and Layla. The response is that if people show enough interest then they'll consider it.

The Estron Linum cables are absolutely beautiful, extremely thin and flexible. Considering how bulky the JH Audio cables are I think it's really worth showing that people want to buy these thin cables instead.

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #803 of 1,931
Be aware that the Linum BAX has 1.5 ohms of impedance (their lowest). The stock JH cable likely has 0.2 or 0.4 for both legs. It's like raising the output impedance of your amp about 1.2 ohms over the stock cable. An amp's under 1 ohm output impedance become 2 ohm. Not necessarily a bad thing but certainly something to consider. I haven't heard it but my understanding is that the BAX cable has a somewhat warmish, midcentric sig. Everything has a character and that one could be good or bad depending on voicing or one's likes and desires. Certainly love the physical characteristics. A problem with Linum making a cable is that they'd have to either double up or make a new cable for the Siren series as they need more than 2 conductors per earpiece.

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #804 of 1,931
Originally Posted by goodvibes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be aware that the Linum BAX has 1.5 ohms of impedance (their lowest). The stock JH cable likely has 0.2 or 0.4 for both legs. It's like raising the output impedance of your amp about 1.2 ohms over the stock cable. An amp's under 1 ohm output impedance become 2 ohm. Not necessarily a bad thing but certainly something to consider. I haven't heard it but my understanding is that the BAX cable has a somewhat warmish, midcentric sig. Everything has a character and that one could be good or bad depending on voicing or one's likes and desires. Certainly love the physical characteristics. A problem with Linum making a cable is that they'd have to either double up or make a new cable for the Siren series as they need more than 2 conductors per earpiece.

I can't believe people actually believe they can hear the difference 2Ω is going to make on frequency response.

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #807 of 1,931

I can't believe people actually believe they can hear the difference 2Ω is going to make on frequency response.

It wouldn't bother me personally as long as I liked the result but it is a consideration for some. A TF10 will show a 1 db difference at 10k between a 1 and 2 ohm load. Same will happen to devices that drop below 10 ohms in some range (multi BAs can do this at both highs and lows) while being, lets say, high 20s elsewhere. It's enough to notice. Whether it's an issue will be personal. RWAK owners seem to like it. It's also not just the frequency response. Damping, current delivery and leading edge can sometimes sound a bit blunted as well...depending on load and other variables. Same reason why specs may indicate a certain phone and DAP combo should play fine but you end up needing a separate amp to get an expected result. I can guarantee you that one can hear fractions of a db difference in a reference type scenario. How important it becomes in a portable setup is always debatable and I wouldn't make too much of it but as I said, it's a consideration, never called it the kiss of death.

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #808 of 1,931

If the resistance of the audiochain dips above the 1/8th rule ( DAP resistance + cable resistance  <  1/8th of CIEM resistance) it really can become an issue. The most troublesome is probably the SE846 with 16Ω @ 1khz.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #810 of 1,931
Another point for the K3003/846: longevity. AKG and SHURE have really long product cycles, so upgraditis is not built into the system.

On the other hand there are four more sirens to be released, probably in the next year or so. I'm gonna wait and compare all seven before making any purchasing decisions with JHA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back