JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Feb 28, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #826 of 1,931
yeah, seems like Angie is the one i'd want to buy, if i wanted to buy a set.  so on JH's website, is the 1295 for the custom version?  or is it 200 on top of that?

also, where do people go to audition these things (just high end headphones and IEMs in general, not just JH stuff).  its something i've always wanted to do.

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #827 of 1,931
  yeah, seems like Angie is the one i'd want to buy, if i wanted to buy a set.  so on JH's website, is the 1295 for the custom version?  or is it 200 on top of that?

also, where do people go to audition these things (just high end headphones and IEMs in general, not just JH stuff).  its something i've always wanted to do.

Depending on where you live, you may be able to audition a plethora of high end headphones and IEMs at boutique shops (Japan and Singapore notably), but for most of us in the world, the best way would be to attend local/national Head-Fi meets.  CanJam in Costa Mesa, CA in four weeks (March 28th and 29th) will be your best bet to audition high end headphones, IEMs, DAC/Amps, and much more.  Additionally, you'll also get to meet people that have certain IEMs on tow  - I'll be bringing my Legend R universal demo for people to audition if they'd like.

Here's the link for the CanJam thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/741136/canjam-socal-2015-march-28-29-2015-its-official.
Here's the link to register for CanJam: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/canjam-socal-2015-tickets-14019652157.

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #828 of 1,931

The price quoted looks to be for the customs as all are listed in the custom section of the product page.

JHA PRO MUSIC PRODUCTS

Custom in-ear monitors.

JHA PRO MUSIC PRODUCTS

Cusom in-ear m

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #830 of 1,931

Depending on where you live, you may be able to audition a plethora of high end headphones and IEMs at boutique shops (Japan and Singapore notably), but for most of us in the world, the best way would be to attend local/national Head-Fi meets.  CanJam in Costa Mesa, CA in four weeks (March 28th and 29th) will be your best bet to audition high end headphones, IEMs, DAC/Amps, and much more.  Additionally, you'll also get to meet people that have certain IEMs on tow  - I'll be bringing my Legend R universal demo for people to audition if they'd like.

Here's the link for the CanJam thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/741136/canjam-socal-2015-march-28-29-2015-its-official.
Here's the link to register for CanJam: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/canjam-socal-2015-tickets-14019652157.

unfortunately i'm on the east coast.  north of NYC about 30 mins.  i know there's a meet on long island in a few weeks, but that's a good distance away from where i'm at (even from the city proper).  i'm sure there are places in manhattan and stuff where there's a show room.  just gotta find them and make a weekend excursion.

that's a pretty good deal for an angie.  buyer's remorse for the -R before my impressions even get to Jack?!?!  haha.  definitely not.  maybe next year when i save up again.  it seems to have my preferred sig though.  

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #831 of 1,931

unfortunately i'm on the east coast.  north of NYC about 30 mins.  i know there's a meet on long island in a few weeks, but that's a good distance away from where i'm at (even from the city proper).  i'm sure there are places in manhattan and stuff where there's a show room.  just gotta find them and make a weekend excursion.

that's a pretty good deal for an angie.  buyer's remorse for the -R before my impressions even get to Jack?!?!  haha.  definitely not.  maybe next year when i save up again.  it seems to have my preferred sig though.  

Yeah, New York holds local Head-Fi meets from time to time, I'm sure you can audition audio equipment every so often.

As for buyer's remorse - I'll at least be able to tell you that in a few weeks when I get to listen to the Angie (and Layla) myself.  The Angie is around the same price range as the Legend R, so that would be a much more 'fair' comparison to discuss.  As for preferred sig (regarding the R)...

Yes...

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #832 of 1,931
  I had the same issue auditioning the Layla. Turns out the bass output attenuator was maxed out. It was fine after it was adjusted all the way down. Might've been the issue?

Before I get to my impressions, I'm more of a music lover than I am an audiophile. I currently have a pair of JH16s NFP. I'm doing my last audition with the Layla and Angies today (I've had ~4-5 hours with each the past few days). I've done testing with flacs, Tidal, and Spotify Premium. I'm using a Meridian Explorer2 DAC. Brought a crew of music lovers to test them out as well. 

We also had Roxanne, 13s, and 16s with freqphase on deck for A/B comparisons. So far, we agree unanimously that these flagships are significantly more enjoyable to listen to and are placed in a completely different tier from the others, including Roxy. These are the notes I wrote down during the auditions:

Both:
- The soundstage is enormous. It's apparent for all types of music but using the Chesky - Right/Let Channel ID Test made it really obvious (and freaky). Incredible.
- Coherence
- I think the best blanket term for both of these is "organic." There's a naturalness and detail that's plain addictive.
- Well-extended and could handle anything you throw at them.
- As far as universals go, I thought both of them were comfortable but frickin' huge.

Layla:
- Accurate to a fault. Astounding amount of detail and balance. Definitely a reference level monitor. 
- There's more detail and sense of clarity (more airy in the mids)
- Bass reproduction was a bit more detailed
- Imaging was a tad better than Angies. 
- Mids were clean, textured, and has a clear presence. Some instruments were not as apparent on the Angies.
- Some recordings were lifeless...but accurate.

Angie:
- The vocals unequivocally have a larger presence...which isn't necessary a bad thing, at least to my ears.
- I felt the Angies were more textured on the high-end. It was apparent in some songs like Damien Rice - 9 Crimes at the 2:40 mark. The low female vocal was amazingly perceptible on the Angies but a bit stressed/harsh on the Laylas. 
- The thing I found as a bit of an issue with the 13s/16s/Roxys was the sibilance. Quite honestly, it's the recording most of the time and these monitors are just recreating the sound accurately. That said, the Angies had less sibilance and made it more enjoying to listen to for most of my playlist. 
- The low end might be a bit lacking for some palates.

Conclusion:

The Laylas were more technical, analytic, and extremely revealing. They are what they were meant to be...reference monitors. 

The Angies have a more fun and energetic touch to them and is probably more of my preference as far as sound signatures go.

In other words, Layla is the girl you marry: you might find things you like or hate about her as you go but she's solid. Angie is more of a one-night stand. You could have a deep conversation with her if you want but she'll be fun most of the time.

Artists: Charice, Avril, Babyface, Beck, Buckthead, Damien Rice, Diana Krall, Dr. Dre, Echosmith, Ed Sheeran, Jason Mraz, Kina Grannis, Lindsey Stirling, Madonna, Mariah, Metallica, Michale Jackson, miles Davis, Nirvana (MTV NYC), Norah J, Paramore, The Ataris, The XX, Tristan Prettyman, Sara Bareilles, and the Chesky demos.

I have the JH 16s FP and wondering how different the Angies are compared to the 16s. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #833 of 1,931

I have family that lives in Long Island you can always take the train from the city to Long Island, if you find a place in NY let us know I would like to demo them also.

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #834 of 1,931
So after several days with the Layla all I can say is: 
eek.gif

There have been only a few limited number of times this has happened to me in the past. The first is when my HD800s showed up 5 years ago, the second, was when I finally got to hear the LCD-2s (when they were just being released), and the third was when my SR-009s arrived 2.5 years ago and the fourth was when I finally got to hear the SR-007Mk1s properly driven by a KGSSHV or DIY T2 (in chronological order) . And nothing since...until I got to hear the Layla IEMs. I am amazed just how far IEM technology has come and just how full-sized and open these sound. The level of inner details contained in a recording are fully brought forth with the Laylas and only my SR-009/HD800s have an advantage.

Well done JH Audio / Astell&Kern!

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #835 of 1,931
  So after several days with the Layla all I can say is: 
eek.gif

There have been only a few limited number of times this has happened to me in the past. The first is when my HD800s showed up 5 years ago, the second, was when I finally got to hear the LCD-2s (when they were just being released), and the third was when my SR-009s arrived 2.5 years ago and the fourth was when I finally got to hear the SR-007Mk1s properly driven by a KGSSHV or DIY T2 (in chronological order) . And nothing since...until I got to hear the Layla IEMs. I am amazed just how far IEM technology has come and just how full-sized and open these sound. The level of inner details contained in a recording are fully brought forth with the Laylas and only my SR-009/HD800s have an advantage.

Well done JH Audio / Astell&Kern!

It really was a Holly Schiit moment for me when I listened to these too. Last time when that happened was when I listened to MBL audio's Reference Line set up at an audio show.
Will there be a Headphone.guru review coming up soon for these?
ReferenceLine.jpg

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #837 of 1,931
the tv is too small for the couch distance.  its like driving laylas out of a boombox. 
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #838 of 1,931
It is funny how they went small on the TV considering the price of the rest of the gear and furniture.

Mar 1, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #839 of 1,931

I have the JH 16s FP and wondering how different the Angies are compared to the 16s. 

The Angies were more natural, transparent, spacious, and detailed compared to the JH16-fp. However, with the bass output maxed out on the Angies, I found myself wanting more with some recordings (in which the 16s will happily provide).

After today's session (JH's Burbank, CA location), it's quite apparent the Laylas will bring out any nuances in a recording. Classical ("Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone"...wow), acoustic, and jazz sound sublime on the Laylas but open mic'ed and pop records weren't as sturdy, to my ears at least. Doing quick A/B swaps with the Angies, the Layla provides almost an immediate layer of clarity and balance. 

I think it comes down to how you enjoy music and what sig you prefer.
- If you're a casual listener/music lover who's constantly multi-tasking while listening (coding, gym, public transport, etc), the Angies are probably a better fit.
- If you tend to give your undivided attention during your listening sessions, Laylas all the way. The Laylas made me realize just how poorly/brightly mastered a lot of these recordings were. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that JH will probably release adjustable low, mid, and high attenuators on their next flagship models. Hopefully you receive your CF Layla before then :)

Mar 1, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #840 of 1,931
I just got a chance to listen to my new Angie’s bought from John Culter few days ago. First of it all i must say that John is an excellent seller and if you consider buying anything form him don’t hesitate.

My current setup is not too impressive but i had a chance to own Roxanne, Westone 4r, Inear Stagediver SD2, SD3, Sennheiser IE800 and few other.
To cut to the chase: the bass is quite similar to Roxanne and what i mean about that is i don’t hear anything lacking (IMO). It goes all the way down and it’s fabulous although not that quantity obviously (I’ve been testing them few hours on 1 o clock level)
Mids are a little bit more forward than Roxanne’s and it’s something you can notice on vocals, guitars etc. Although you won’t see my face to wince even on loud levels. The highs are present without sibilance whatsoever. Overall really organic and dynamic sound.

I make music for living (it’s not mastering though) and i must say i couldn’t find Roxanne’s too useful in writing or mixing process. I’ve been listening them on the road and for my favourite electronic albums. When i was going from Roxanne to listen to other headphones/iem’s i found the other sounded cheap - there was something addictive in Roxanne’s and i’m finding same feeling here with Angie’s plus they are more balanced than Roxanne's. And the most pleasant upgrade is the size and fit (UF). A little bit smaller that Roxanne but the difference is more than subtle.

They are staying with me till the day i’ll have a chance to listen to Layla and fall in love again. Or maybe not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back