JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Dec 23, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #301 of 1,931

I can't wait for y'all to hear both the Layla and the Angie.  Regardless of whether anyone here plans to purchase or not, for whatever reason, I'd still love for y'all to hear them.  
smile.gif

Well, if the Layla bests the K10, then... 
wink.gif

Btw, Warren, what would make you go ahead and purchase one? Your earlier impressions were very positive, so if this good vibe continues with further listening sessions, will you be tempted to get a Layla?

Well, I'm already VERY TEMPTED.  
smile.gif
  What I'd like to do is get a more detailed audition so that I can confirm what I've heard, A/B versus other units I have here, and see if I can spot any flaws that will irritate me over time, lol.  I'll have some time to do that because, like Jude, I want the custom version.  So I'd have to wait until later anyway for the purchase.

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #303 of 1,931
Since it’s Christmas Eve, allow me to share a story here:

I am listening to Mozart’s Violin Concerto No. 4 in D Major. With my uni Roxy. Which I bought after I found out that Layla & Angie were on-the-way.

I don’t think I need to describe how the music sounds to anyone has heard a Roxy. For those who have not, the ad said/says, Roxy is a siren. And boy, does she mesmerise… because she sounds like no other IEM that I have heard to date.

Getting to the point: 

This thread is about two other newer sirens: Layla + Angie.

Jude started it to introduce Layla + Angie, with a little bit of help from his friends, Warren + Mercer. They are enthusiastic about these new girls and they want to share their enthusiasm with other head-fiers. 

Note that they are head-fiers, and not the owners of JH Audio. Afaik, Jude & Co. have not knowingly steered anyone into a wrong/bad purchase. 

It is clear that some owners of Roxys are unhappy JH Audio, to the extent that they took the trouble to post here. Maybe they want to warn other head-fiers, maybe they just want to be heard. TBH, it has been on-going for a bit, albeit with some prodding/trolling.

To the complainants, my advice is to “man up”. If you are displeased with JH Audio on principle, make it a point to not buy from them again. No matter how good Layla + Angie may sound. No matter how good the sirens-to-come may be. That is the only sure way to deliver the message. If enough people react this way, and JH Audio’s sales drops, they will feel it. Even if your personal reaction does not ultimately impact their bottom-line, you would have made a stand. Move on with your head held high.

That said, I will join Jude and a few others here in recommending that you enjoy your Roxy. She is a beauty with a bold personality. This is what matters most.

Knowing Roxy, she would say: "Bring it on, Layla + Angie."

Cheers, and may everyone enjoy a merry, merry Christmas with their respective headgear.

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #304 of 1,931
MuppetFace is correct, the universal Roxanne is massive.  It's one of the largest, if not the largest universal available today.  Judging from the pictures, the Layla may be slightly larger because it looks like it protrudes out of the ear(s) slightly more than the universal Roxanne, in my opinion.  Hopefully I'll get to audition the Layla and Angie very soon.  Here's a couple of pictures I took of the Roxanne:

Which is the largest iem in the market now? ? I had thought roxanne was the one.

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #305 of 1,931
  Since it’s Christmas Eve, allow me to share a story here:

I am listening to Mozart’s Violin Concerto No. 4 in D Major. With my uni Roxy. Which I bought after I found out that Layla & Angie were on-the-way.

I don’t think I need to describe how the music sounds to anyone has heard a Roxy. For those who have not, the ad said/says, Roxy is a siren. And boy, does she mesmerise… because she sounds like no other IEM that I have heard to date.

Getting to the point: 

This thread is about two other newer sirens: Layla + Angie.

Jude started it to introduce Layla + Angie, with a little bit of help from his friends, Warren + Mercer. They are enthusiastic about these new girls and they want to share their enthusiasm with other head-fiers. 

Note that they are head-fiers, and not the owners of JH Audio. Afaik, Jude & Co. have not knowingly steered anyone into a wrong/bad purchase. 

It is clear that some owners of Roxys are unhappy JH Audio, to the extent that they took the trouble to post here. Maybe they want to warn other head-fiers, maybe they just want to be heard. TBH, it has been on-going for a bit, albeit with some prodding/trolling.

To the complainants, my advice is to “man up”. If you are displeased with JH Audio on principle, make it a point to not buy from them again. No matter how good Layla + Angie may sound. No matter how good the sirens-to-come may be. That is the only sure way to deliver the message. If enough people react this way, and JH Audio’s sales drops, they will feel it. Even if your personal reaction does not ultimately impact their bottom-line, you would have made a stand. Move on with your head held high.

That said, I will join Jude and a few others here in recommending that you enjoy your Roxy. She is a beauty with a bold personality. This is what matters most.

Knowing Roxy, she would say: "Bring it on, Layla + Angie."

Cheers, and may everyone enjoy a merry, merry Christmas with their respective headgear.

Things to note. Jude never gives negative impressions because he is a salesman and impressions by anyone before release should be taken with a grain of salt. Firstly, the listening conditions are unknown. Listening to  anything in a noisy location is pointless for detailed impressions and this is even more true when you are pressed for time. Secondly, there is such a thing as new toy syndrome. As always if you want to make a good purchase rather than a HYPED purchase then wait until after release. It's a continous trend that people get excited and it's only till after release did people really come to realise that the product has many flaws or wasn't to their tastes. Patience is a virtue.

Which is the largest iem in the market now? ? I had thought roxanne was the one.

Surely, people have problems keeping them in their ears. How is something of that size even supported.

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #306 of 1,931

Things to note. Jude never gives negative impressions because he is a salesman and impressions by anyone before release should be taken with a grain of salt. Firstly, the listening conditions are unknown. Listening to  anything in a noisy location is pointless for detailed impressions and this is even more true when you are pressed for time...

I take the time to review things (and/or shoot videos about them) when I like them, and when I'm excited about them. As anyone who's been to my office can tell you, far more stuff arrives here than I ever write or talk about. Far more.

As for listening conditions: I have the Layla and Angie loaners here. I've used them in a variety of conditions, in a variety of systems.

As for my opinion and its value: It's just one man's opinion--one more data point. If I'm a reviewer you don't trust, then I don't expect you to care about or trust in what I say. That said, I always call it like I hear it, no more, no less.

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #307 of 1,931

I take the time to review things (and/or shoot videos about them) when I like them, and when I'm excited about them. As anyone who's been to my office can tell you, far more stuff arrives here than I ever write or talk about. Far more.

As for listening conditions: I have the Layla and Angie loaners here. I've used them in a variety of conditions, in a variety of systems.

As for my opinion and its value: It's just one man's opinion--one more data point. If I'm a reviewer you don't trust, then I don't expect you to care about or trust in what I say. That said, I always call it like I hear it, no more, no less.

Donning the Layla, I was surprised to hear that it was indeed flat, carpenter's dream flat, and coherent, with spaciousness next to Godliness...

Now, I wasn't in the studio when any of this was laid down, so I have no idea what the artist intended, but the soundscape that unfolded before me was incredibly vivid. I almost felt like I could see (and touch) instruments and musicians all around me.

That said, my first four words to Andy after my Layla audition were simply: "when, and how much?"

It's sad to say, but with the introduction of the Layla, I think Roxanne's gonna have to put on the red light again. Turns out those days aren't over after all.

Here, let me frame that experience in Head-Fi-ese for y'all: imagine an in-ear monitor with the neutrality of the Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor (UERM), sprinkled with the pristine macro detail of an AKG K3003, and temper that with the coherency of a JH-13 Freqphase... now take that soundscape and unfurl it with the expansive and out-of-head staging of a Tralucent Audio 1Plus2... and finally, incorporate the uber precise sense of imaging and positioning found in some of the better summit-fi rigs you've heard... that's Layla.

It's hard to not have sceptism with such glowing prose and when you get an opportunity to hear it well before everyone else. Perhaps, it is exceptional at everything but most things aren't. Was there anything that you personally didn't like about it? What about fit and comfort of such a large UIEM. Secondly, what about frequency response. Many things are called "flat" or "neutral" when they all have varying frequency responses. When you compare them against each other then you can hear the differences in frequency response quite clearly. How does the frequency response of the UERM differ to that of the Layla. Do the frequency responses sound exactly the same to you or do they differ and how do they differ.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #308 of 1,931
  It's hard to not have sceptism with such glowing prose and when you get an opportunity to hear it well before everyone else. Perhaps, it is exceptional at everything but most things aren't. Was there anything that you personally didn't like about it? What about fit and comfort of such a large UIEM. Secondly, what about frequency response. Many things are called "flat" or "neutral" when they all have varying frequency responses. When you compare them against each other then you can hear the differences in frequency response quite clearly. How does the frequency response of the UERM differ to that of the Layla. Do the frequency responses sound exactly the same to you or do they differ and how do they differ.

Who are you quoting? None of that quoted "glowing prose" (as you put it) was said or written by me. (The entirety of what I've said so far can be found in the video and the post located here.)

As for the rest of your post, I'll answer your questions later today, after I'm back from holiday shopping.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #309 of 1,931

Who are you quoting? None of that quoted "glowing prose" (as you put it) was said or written by me. (The entirety of what I've said so far can be found in the video and the post located here.)

As for the rest of your post, I'll answer your questions later today, after I'm back from holiday shopping.

My mistake. Sorry about that. Your impressions on Head-Fi TV were far more balanced.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #310 of 1,931
Originally Posted by Dreyka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Donning the Layla, I was surprised to hear that it was indeed flat, carpenter's dream flat, and coherent, with spaciousness next to Godliness...

Now, I wasn't in the studio when any of this was laid down, so I have no idea what the artist intended, but the soundscape that unfolded before me was incredibly vivid. I almost felt like I could see (and touch) instruments and musicians all around me.

That said, my first four words to Andy after my Layla audition were simply: "when, and how much?"

It's sad to say, but with the introduction of the Layla, I think Roxanne's gonna have to put on the red light again. Turns out those days aren't over after all.

Here, let me frame that experience in Head-Fi-ese for y'all: imagine an in-ear monitor with the neutrality of the Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor (UERM), sprinkled with the pristine macro detail of an AKG K3003, and temper that with the coherency of a JH-13 Freqphase... now take that soundscape and unfurl it with the expansive and out-of-head staging of a Tralucent Audio 1Plus2... and finally, incorporate the uber precise sense of imaging and positioning found in some of the better summit-fi rigs you've heard... that's Layla.

It's hard to not have sceptism with such glowing prose and when you get an opportunity to hear it well before everyone else.

First of all, and this is no offense to Jude, but those were my impressions, not his.  That was my glowing prose there buddy...
biggrin.gif
 which, again, is not to say that Jude is not capable of being such a wordsmith.

That said, you can have all the skepticism you want... though I'm not sure how me getting an advance listen contributes to that.  By that criteria, you should be skeptical of every single person that listens to it before you, in which case impressions are useless to you, which makes it all the more strange that you are following an impressions thread.  
confused.gif

Originally Posted by Dreyka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Perhaps, it is exceptional at everything but most things aren't.

I don't recall saying it was exceptional at everything.  
blink.gif

Was there anything that you personally didn't like about it?

Not yet.  However, as I posted earlier, I am very keen on getting the review units in here so that I can get a much better idea of what they're like - including looking for flaws that I didn't notice the first time around.  I'm sure that, through an extended audition on a familiar rig with my own music, I'll be able to spot certain deficiencies.

What about fit and comfort of such a large UIEM.

That wasn't really an issue for me at the time, as I was largely stationary and the cable guide/hooks did much to keep them from jostling loose.  I'm sure that - had I been actively moving about - it could very well be a different experience.  Again, when the review units come in, I'll be able to provide better, if not more thorough, impressions.

Secondly, what about frequency response. Many things are called "flat" or "neutral" when they all have varying frequency responses. When you compare them against each other then you can hear the differences in frequency response quite clearly. How does the frequency response of the UERM differ to that of the Layla. Do the frequency responses sound exactly the same to you or do they differ and how do they differ.

Again, as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I did not get a chance to A/B them to my UERM at the time, and that is one of the things that I will be doing when the review units come in.  However, from memory, I would say that the UERM is warmer compared to the Layla audition I had where the Layla's bass was turned all the way down to zero.

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #311 of 1,931

Hi Jude,

Would it be reasonable to ask you to disclose when you are reviewing a product from a head-fi sponsor and, if so, how much that head-fi sponsor pays for HF sponsorship?

Thanks, as always,
Kunlun

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #312 of 1,931
Hi Jude,

Would it be reasonable to ask you to disclose when you are reviewing a product from a head-fi sponsor and, if so, how much that head-fi sponsor pays for HF sponsorship?

Thanks, as always,
Kunlun

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Jude (or anyone) to disclose how much their sponsors pay them.  

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #313 of 1,931

Hi Jude,

Thanks, as always,
Kunlun

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Jude (or anyone) to disclose how much their sponsors pay them.  

Also, for those that haven't noticed, there is an entire section of the site that details who the sponsors are:  http://www.head-fi.org/sponsors/  
smile.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #315 of 1,931

First of all, and this is no offense to Jude, but those were my impressions, not his.  That was my glowing prose there buddy...
biggrin.gif
 which, again, is not to say that Jude is not capable of being such a wordsmith.

That said, you can have all the skepticism you want... though I'm not sure how me getting an advance listen contributes to that.  By that criteria, you should be skeptical of every single person that listens to it before you, in which case impressions are useless to you, which makes it all the more strange that you are following an impressions thread.  
confused.gif

I don't recall saying it was exceptional at everything.  
blink.gif

Not yet.  However, as I posted earlier, I am very keen on getting the review units in here so that I can get a much better idea of what they're like - including looking for flaws that I didn't notice the first time around.  I'm sure that, through an extended audition on a familiar rig with my own music, I'll be able to spot certain deficiencies.

That wasn't really an issue for me at the time, as I was largely stationary and the cable guide/hooks did much to keep them from jostling loose.  I'm sure that - had I been actively moving about - it could very well be a different experience.  Again, when the review units come in, I'll be able to provide better, if not more thorough, impressions.

Again, as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I did not get a chance to A/B them to my UERM at the time, and that is one of the things that I will be doing when the review units come in.  However, from memory, I would say that the UERM is warmer compared to the Layla audition I had where the Layla's bass was turned all the way down to zero.

My mistake for confusing the the impressions. I am sceptical of most impressions simply because most people don't have the experience to give impressions nor do they have a proper testing methodology. I'll wait for comparisons to the UERM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back