JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Dec 23, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #316 of 1,931
  warrenpchi, you have 88 new messages.

Yup!  I went through and responded to a whole bunch recently to bring it under triple digits.  
smile.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #317 of 1,931

My mistake for confusing the the impressions. I am sceptical of most impressions simply because most people don't have the experience to give impressions nor do they have a proper testing methodology. I'll wait for comparisons to the UERM.

A detailed UERM and Layla A/B is what I am most interested in, on a personal level, as the UERM is my own neutral reference.

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #319 of 1,931
I don't understand why everybody wants to go around facts. Just because you love your JH13 does not mean you have to agree with JH in all cases. JH clearly stated that the Roxannes was and would be the flagship of the series. And that was visibly not true. What is so complicated with understanding that it was a lie and some people don't like lies. Why is everybody trying to interpret what we feel. THEY LIED. FACT. THEY TOOK 10 MONTHS TO DELIVER THE INITIAL PRODUCT AND HAD TO DO MANY REFITS BECAUSE THEY DID NOT MASTER THEIR PRODUCTION PROCESS.FACT. I need neither you patronizing or analyzing me. Man, posing as a Wiseman who is past all the petty vices of common headfiers is getting old.

I quite like the K10s and others as well. The refits were definitely an issue. I simply gave my take and it has nothing to do with owning the product. I thought JH and AK got a lot of undue grief and posted same long before I owned either. Just my opinion as you are allowed yours. The market is what it is. If you feel that something is not a good value, don't buy it. The petty comment was for those that need to dis something high priced to feel better about not being able to or  willing to spend the bucks. That isn't you. You seem to take opposing posts very personally. I also never claimed to be perfect. In fact, I can guarantee you that I'm not. We disagree and have different perspectives. No biggie.

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #321 of 1,931
Hi Jude,

Would it be reasonable to ask you to disclose when you are reviewing a product from a head-fi sponsor and, if so, how much that head-fi sponsor pays for HF sponsorship?

Thanks, as always,
Kunlun

How much$ is not necessary info to me, but stating that a pair was sponsored is pretty standard practice where I'm from. So that would be appreciated for me too.

In fact, at the media company where I work, it's standard practice to giveaway or auction off (proceeds go to charity) the free review samples after the review is done. Nobody gets to keep the gear given to them.

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #322 of 1,931
Full disclosure is a pretty basic concept. It's part of the TOS on HF for other reviewers, it seems reasonable to ask Moderators and Jude to please also state in their reviews and videos if a product is from a company that sponsors or in any way pays money to HF.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #324 of 1,931

Also, for those that haven't noticed, there is an entire section of the site that details who the sponsors are:  http://www.head-fi.org/sponsors/  
smile.gif

What's the difference between an MOT and a Sponsor? Does an MOT have to pay Head-Fi? If so, this list doesn't quite fully disclose all parties who have commercial relationships with the site...

Also, why does this post say "Sponsor: JH Audio" but on the page you linked to, JH Audio is not listed?

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #325 of 1,931
So I'm sure others like me are wondering. How close is the Angie to the Layla in terms of performance? So it's not as neutral as the Layla even with the bass turned all the way down? Is it as neutral as the UERM or very very close? I'm wondering if I should get the Angie + HM901 or just go for the Layla and buy the HM901 later if the performance gap is big enough?

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #326 of 1,931
Most Web pages and Forums that have banner advertising get paid CPC rates (charge per click) it can cost anywhere from .20cents to 5.00 dollars there are many variables to how they charge per website.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #327 of 1,931
So I'm sure others like me are wondering. How close is the Angie to the Layla in terms of performance? So it's not as neutral as the Layla even with the bass turned all the way down? Is it as neutral as the UERM or very very close? I'm wondering if I should get the Angie + HM901 or just go for the Layla and buy the HM901 later if the performance gap is big enough?
Get ak120II or ak240 and then you can utilise the balanced cable of layla and Angie.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #328 of 1,931

What's the difference between an MOT and a Sponsor? Does an MOT have to pay Head-Fi? If so, this list doesn't quite fully disclose all parties who have commercial relationships with the site...

Also, why does this post say "Sponsor: JH Audio" but on the page you linked to, JH Audio is not listed?

A sponsor pays for sponsorship and/or advertising (not including third-party network advertisers). Sponsorships have been sold and managed by Huddler since 2010. Huddler is also the developer and provider of the forum platform we're on. There are many other forums on the Huddler platform--a couple of examples you might be familiar with include AppleInsider and Overclock.net. Sponsors are also given more latitude to post on the Main Forums, though most do not. (Huddler was acquired by Wikia earlier this year, by the way.) 

The list of sponsors changes constantly, based on start and expiration dates of sponsor/advertising contracts. Since we do not handle them directly, the moderators (including me) are kept up to date with who the sponsors are by periodically updated lists provided to us by Huddler.

As for the page Warren linked to, I don't manage that page (and actually have no ability to edit it). I hadn't looked at it in a long time myself, instead using the list we're provided directly from Huddler. I will ask that the list on that linked page is updated with the list I've got, after the first of the year. (Many of those I work with from Huddler are on holiday now.)

The type of sponsor tags you see next to someone's name (like in the one next to Jaime's name linked above) are added/edited manually by me and the other moderators. As of the most recently updated sponsor list, JH Audio is actually not on that list, so Jaime's tag (and any other such tags) will have to be edited manually to instead read "Member of the Trade: JH Audio."

The most current roster of sponsors lists:

ALO Audio
AudezeAudio-GD
AudioenginebeyerdynamicBlue Microphones
BrainwavzCavalli AudioChesky Records / HDtracks
Chord ElectronicsComplyCreative Labs
CTC AudioCustom-CableDITA Audio / Project Perfection
Epiphany AcousticsFiiOFischer Audio
FostexFull CompassHead-Direct / HiFiMAN
HeadAmpHidizsHiFi Headphones (UK)
HiSoundiBassoiFi Audio
JDS LabsLEAR HKLeckerton
Light Harmonic (LH Labs)Little Dot AmplifiersMassdrop
Master & DynamicMIT CablesMiu Tech
Moon AudioMrSpeakersNoble Audio
OPPOParts ConneXionPendulumic
QablesQuestyleRazor Dog
Vinnie Rossi (formerly Red Wine Audio)RHA (Reid Heath Acoustics)Rock Jaw
Schiit AudioSennheiserSoundaware Audio
Stereo PlazaswpshinwooTop Sound (DUNU)
Toxic CablesTTVJUltimate Ears (Logitech)
V-MODAWoo Audio 

Again, updates of this list are sent to us by Huddler around once per month; and, again, I'll ask that the linked page be updated with the same list.

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #329 of 1,931
Thanks Jude. That is a very clear explanation and exhaustive list.

You mention that JHA is no longer a sponsor but is an MOT. Apart from sponsors, when I see "MOT", does that also mean that this company/account has paid for that status on head-fi? Or does it just factually mean that they are a MOT?

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #330 of 1,931
The top lesson we learn from all this is, headfiers should stop itching for the flagships, cause in this way you will keep getting new flagships. Astell and Kern discovered it quickly, AK120 sold more thant AK100, Ak240 sold more than both (including me, I bought the AK120 and and then the AK240 within 9 months span). Why? because head fiying is a serious thing for us and we are willing to get a cheaper car but not a lower audio rig. This will keep being exploited. Lets revert back to crtical listening and value of innovations, rather than feeling high everytime we get the top flagship and everyone else around us is below.

We all deep down agree that audio is subjective and every innovation and idea has a taste, but we keep running behind the most expensive. Its like saying duck liver is more delicious than a Burrito just because it is usually at least 20 times more expensive. Its a different taste and even rich people like burritos, they dont eat caviar all the time, and most of them dont like caviar at all. Just because its more expensive it does not mean it suits your taste more, or even the general taste.

I stress again that Layla is a JH audio Roxanne tuned differently and then topped with all types of cosmetic costs from fiber carbon body and case to titanium plate, to extra balanced cable, to stainless steel wave guides. Are we here for the sound or what? Are we seriously convinced that Jerry or any of his team managed to create a new audio idea in the last few months that warrants the prices to be doubled? Even Jude's witty way of always trying to sell you the flagship whenever, in his video did not manage to convince us in any thing related to quality of audio other than saying this one is tuned for studio and flat flat flat flat. when He talked about the  upgrade to freq phase JH13 and JH16 he was convincing of the idea of syncing the waves, when he talked about roxanne he was talking about the new cable and pins that allow bass change with no effect on other ranges ,and was talking about the highest configurations of 12 BAs per ear. What is in Layla? tuned differently! seriously tuning makes it more expensive!? its like saying a sandwich with less salt is more expensive because I like less salt. What about me liking more salt, does this make me poor and not willing to pay more? give me more audio I give you my money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back