JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 30, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #1,096 of 3,787
@ Sonic!

too many post too quote in the last 8 hours  have been asleep!

Glad you like a bass spike on your EQ, but in all honesty can you get to demo a pair of 16' first before you decide to sell your 13's for the 16's, you said the 16's where "WAY" above neutral to the 13's which i think was a exaggeration from my experience, that was before you found you liked the extra bass on the EQ, but the 16's will be different with those extra drivers to just tweaking your EQ on your HI-Fi man and the 16's do sound immediately different straight sway and it is noticeable the extra depths the bass extension to be had which does not detract that they still replicate music in a realistic sense even though the 16's have a tweaked db range on the bass.

Heck if you really wanted a flat neutral sound you would not of gone with the 13's either and found a custom out there that is flat across the board if one of those exist?

As some advice of someone that has listened to both the 13 & 16 demo's and now owns the 16's i personally like them both as much in their own right and if i owned one but had to sell the other i would not do that, i would rather save up or in your case you do have the funds available as you mentioned get the 16's as well, but i STRONGLY recommend you try and demo the 16's first so you know for sure if it is what you really like and not justthe feeling on missing out on a new model that everyone is raving about, even though i am! 

Personally i think you would like the 16's but i think you need to find out for yourself and not rely on just spiking your 13's EQ and saying yeah that is what it will be like as a lot of what stupidassdrummer mentioned about the extra bass drivers for the headroom and the reason that they are there and these are i believe different drivers from the 13's so give the 16's a listen and let your own ears decide for themselves. I take it you have a dealer in NY that you can demo them?

For people that also mention the stage use as Jerry intended which is what the 16's where brought out for originally, these are very much at home in the audiophile anoraks dept like us on here as the 13's are and would in the end that did not distract me from on the end choosing the 16's which will never go near a stage for feedback purposes and love the sound they are giving me at the moment from my Arcam  FMJ cd player through my Naim Headline amp sounds magical.

If you want that sound that is more raw like at a gig and you really hear and feel that kick drum rather than some of these over elaborated or too polished produced albums you get today the 16's really do come into their own with the extra headroom in the audiophile sense, never heard live recording from cd's like this ever!

Again like the 13's the 16's are just as revealing with bad recordings, i have got a EU copy of Fyfe Dangerfield's latest album and i have not heard such a badly engineered recording since Coldplay's or Metallica's cd's.

May 30, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #1,097 of 3,787
Lol guys, you really confuse me now, especially Sonic, I really don't know whether I should get 13 or 16 now.

May 30, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #1,099 of 3,787

Quote:
I...don't...know. Can someone who has both the JH13 Pro and JH16 Pro share their results when boosting the 50hz region of the JH13 Pro by 2db's? Do the JH13 Pro and JH16 Pro now sound identical? Or does the JH16 Pro have other characteristics?

I had tried this test when I first got the 16s and it didn't work. EQing the 13s couldn't produce the 16s, and EQing the 16s couldn't produce the 13s. I was using foobar2k's parametric EQ, though.

May 30, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #1,100 of 3,787

Quote:
I had tried this test when I first got the 16s and it didn't work. EQing the 13s couldn't produce the 16s, and EQing the 16s couldn't produce the 13s. I was using foobar2k's parametric EQ, though.

Why not though, did the eq on the 13s overcompensate or fall short? Meaning, was it too "muddy" or was the bass strong but lacking in character and detail?

May 30, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #1,101 of 3,787
Sonic , Do not sell your 13's as you will regret it,  my advise to you is get both, yes keep the 13's and get yourself a spanking pair of 16's too.
Then you will really be in .......SONIC HEAVEN Best of both worlds. Comon man you cant part with those super looking 13's.......

May 30, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #1,102 of 3,787

Quote:
Sonic , Do not sell your 13's as you will regret it,  my advise to you is get both, yes keep the 13's and get yourself a spanking pair of 16's too.
Then you will really be in .......SONIC HEAVEN Best of both worlds. Comon man you cant part with those super looking 13's.......

Why keep both when one will pretty much be used all the time and why pay $1150 for a few subtle differences when you can pay like $200 or $250 with the sale of the 13?

May 30, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #1,105 of 3,787

Quote:
Why keep both when one will pretty much be used all the time and why pay $1150 for a few subtle differences when you can pay like $200 or $250 with the sale of the 13?

That is why I'm selling my 13's. I'll miss them very much. They gave me musical enjoyment no other speaker can dream of. The JH13's don't lack bass, I just turned the EQ off but I prefer the boost because it brings some of the subtleties from the sub-bass back into the mix. I've got a bite already on my JH13 Pro's, but I'm waiting the day out for a better deal.

May 30, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #1,106 of 3,787

Quote:
Why not though, did the eq on the 13s overcompensate or fall short? Meaning, was it too "muddy" or was the bass strong but lacking in character and detail?

The 16's bass has some additional reverb effects and is otherwise (attractively) colored in a way that the JH13s are not capable of replicating.

May 30, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #1,107 of 3,787

Quote:
@ Sonic!

too many post too quote in the last 8 hours  have been asleep!

Glad you like a bass spike on your EQ, but in all honesty can you get to demo a pair of 16' first before you decide to sell your 13's for the 16's, you said the 16's where "WAY" above neutral to the 13's which i think was a exaggeration from my experience, that was before you found you liked the extra bass on the EQ, but the 16's will be different with those extra drivers to just tweaking your EQ on your HI-Fi man and the 16's do sound immediately different straight sway and it is noticeable the extra depths the bass extension to be had which does not detract that they still replicate music in a realistic sense even though the 16's have a tweaked db range on the bass.

Heck if you really wanted a flat neutral sound you would not of gone with the 13's either and found a custom out there that is flat across the board if one of those exist?

As some advice of someone that has listened to both the 13 & 16 demo's and now owns the 16's i personally like them both as much in their own right and if i owned one but had to sell the other i would not do that, i would rather save up or in your case you do have the funds available as you mentioned get the 16's as well, but i STRONGLY recommend you try and demo the 16's first so you know for sure if it is what you really like and not justthe feeling on missing out on a new model that everyone is raving about, even though i am! 

Personally i think you would like the 16's but i think you need to find out for yourself and not rely on just spiking your 13's EQ and saying yeah that is what it will be like as a lot of what stupidassdrummer mentioned about the extra bass drivers for the headroom and the reason that they are there and these are i believe different drivers from the 13's so give the 16's a listen and let your own ears decide for themselves. I take it you have a dealer in NY that you can demo them?

For people that also mention the stage use as Jerry intended which is what the 16's where brought out for originally, these are very much at home in the audiophile anoraks dept like us on here as the 13's are and would in the end that did not distract me from on the end choosing the 16's which will never go near a stage for feedback purposes and love the sound they are giving me at the moment from my Arcam  FMJ cd player through my Naim Headline amp sounds magical.

If you want that sound that is more raw like at a gig and you really hear and feel that kick drum rather than some of these over elaborated or too polished produced albums you get today the 16's really do come into their own with the extra headroom in the audiophile sense, never heard live recording from cd's like this ever!

Again like the 13's the 16's are just as revealing with bad recordings, i have got a EU copy of Fyfe Dangerfield's latest album and i have not heard such a badly engineered recording since Coldplay's or Metallica's cd's.

Thank you for those words.
smile.gif

May 30, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #1,108 of 3,787
It's pretty funny that you spent weeks obsessively defending your 13s (even though no one was attacking them) and denying that you wanted the 16s, and now you're selling the 13s for the 16s.  Everyone's entitled to change their opinion, but in your case it kind of undermines everything you've said about the 13s being perfect for you and any more bass being overwhelming.  Also, a few people have said that the differences between the 13s and 16s are more than just extra sub-bass, so I don't know that you can really hear what the 16s are like just by EQing the 13s.

May 30, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #1,109 of 3,787
Wow, the 13 fan boy is switching over to 16's... get tired of defending your purchase to yourself?
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
That is why I'm selling my 13's. I'll miss them very much. They gave me musical enjoyment no other speaker can dream of. The JH13's don't lack bass, I just turned the EQ off but I prefer the boost because it brings some of the subtleties from the sub-bass back into the mix. I've got a bite already on my JH13 Pro's, but I'm waiting the day out for a better deal.

On another note, I finally got my refit back this week and all I have to say is
atsmile.gif
. Fit is really the most important thing and when it's perfect the music just hits you with a new level of awesome. I finally got around to using my protector (balanced) with my 16's and dolby headphone and I'm really impressed with its movie capabilities! Finally Batman gives me the bass punch I've been looking for!! Can't wait to watch some other movies
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #1,110 of 3,787
One for use w/ the protector and one w/ miniplug for more portable uses, then?

And while that JH-5M looks pretty nice, could they fit everything that's in the JH16s in a similar-sized package?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back