JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 30, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #1,081 of 3,787
Well I'll be damned. I just bumped the 60hz up by about 2db's on my HiFiMAN's EQ. The JH16 Pro has about 2db boost over the JH13 Pro in that area. I actually honestly like the added the sub-bass emphasis. It doesn't get in the way at all with any of the other frequencies. I don't hear any clipping or any signs of those dual subwoofers crapping out. It gives a sort of nice foundation to the music. I'll keep listening, but I like this sound. The dual subwoofers in the JH13 Pro's are lightning fast, because the bass is still tight and detailed. It's just more emphasized. I was expecting them to crap out. So, to the JH16 Pro, sorry for doubting you. I guess I should listen before assuming.

Puts flame suit on.
frown.gif

Flame on guys, flame on.

EDIT: WOW! I love it! The bass is awesome! It doesn't sound neutral and accurate to the source but it makes me forget about analyzing the music and just enjoy it.
biggrin.gif

JH13 + 2db boost around 50-60hz = Ghetto JH16 Pro, lol.

EDIT AGAIN: OMG, I cannot say how much better I love the bass presentation. I love sub bass!!!!! It's so authoritative yet natural, detailed and most importantly CONTROLLED.
L3000.gif

May 30, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #1,082 of 3,787
while that is great that you figured this out, the 16s are geared towards "Stage use" (as Jerry said). While music coming from our sources are a "controlled" sub 100hz, on a live stage setting, the 16s extra head room is made for the crazy variation of the artist. A bassist (or dummer) on stage could hit their note (bass string or kick drum) hard, and would probably distort the 13 drivers. Hence the added dual subwoofer driver. Remember Jerry said something to the fact that an artist might want a bump up in db of kick drum. If its already boosted up on the live stage mix, and the artist hits the bass drum harder than normal the 13s "single" dual driver may distort, but the 16s head room wouldnt allow it. Granted the extra 2db bump in bass on the 16s is there, but its really not about adding bass. As per JH's explination of the 16s giving more headroom it is to make sure the drivers dont distort. Hope this makes sense, and stops any arguing. Granted this is all in theory and what I assume Jerry is saying.

I am still waiting for my 16s to be "in the lab" after ive been waiting almost a month w/ "impressions recieved"
confused_face(1).gif

Quote:
Well I'll be damned. I just bumped the 60hz up by about 2db's on my HiFiMAN's EQ. The JH16 Pro has about 2db boost over the JH13 Pro in that area. I actually honestly like the added the sub-bass emphasis. It doesn't get in the way at all with any of the other frequencies. I don't hear any clipping or any signs of those dual subwoofers crapping out. It gives a sort of nice foundation to the music. I'll keep listening, but I like this sound. The dual subwoofers in the JH13 Pro's are lightning fast, because the bass is still tight and detailed. It's just more emphasized. I was expecting them to crap out. So, to the JH16 Pro, sorry for doubting you. I guess I should listen before assuming.

Puts flame suit on.
frown.gif

Flame on guys, flame on.

EDIT: WOW! I love it! The bass is awesome! It doesn't sound neutral and accurate to the source but it makes me forget about analyzing the music and just enjoy it.
biggrin.gif

JH13 + 2db boost around 50-60hz = Ghetto JH16 Pro, lol.

EDIT AGAIN: OMG, I cannot say how much better I love the bass presentation. I love sub bass!!!!! It's so authoritative yet natural, detailed and most importantly CONTROLLED.
L3000.gif

May 30, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #1,083 of 3,787

Quote:
while that is great that you figured this out, the 16s are geared towards "Stage use" (as Jerry said). While music coming from our sources are a "controlled" sub 100hz, on a live stage setting, the 16s extra head room is made for the crazy variation of the artist. A bassist (or dummer) on stage could hit their note (bass string or kick drum) hard, and would probably distort the 13 drivers. Hence the added dual subwoofer driver. Remember Jerry said something to the fact that an artist might want a bump up in db of kick drum. If its already boosted up on the live stage mix, and the artist hits the bass drum harder than normal the 13s "single" dual driver may distort, but the 16s head room wouldnt allow it. Granted the extra 2db bump in bass on the 16s is there, but its really not about adding bass. As per JH's explination of the 16s giving more headroom it is to make sure the drivers dont distort. Hope this makes sense, and stops any arguing. Granted this is all in theory and what I assume Jerry is saying.

I am still waiting for my 16s to be "in the lab" after ive been waiting almost a month w/ "impressions recieved"
confused_face(1).gif

So what you're saying is in a live event the extra dual subwoofers would make themselves noticed while on a normal recording the JH13 Pro with a 2db boost in the 50hz-60hz is essentially the same thing as the JH16 Pro?

May 30, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #1,084 of 3,787
Lol Sonic, you're such a good sport. Despite all of the hits being thrown at you by people who somehow repeated misunderstand your rhetoric, you've still managed to maintain a smiling face and throw in some humor. I admire that attitude. I definitely do not accuse you of fanboyism, as you've never once said anything negative about the JH16 (yet somehow people seem to keep interpreting it as such). Also, you never focused completely on the JH13, without relating it in some way to the JH16, which makes your post completely relevant to this thread.

I don't think selling your JH13 before having a JH16 would be a good idea. What if you decide that your EQed JH13 doesn't sound any different than (or even lesser than) a JH16? In any case, please don't stop posting in this thread due to pressure. Though a few people here don't appreciate your presence, I do value your thoughts. I find it especially funny that people can so easily be irritated by words (that were never belittling nor off-topic); maybe each time they read one of your post they've temporarily forgotten the function of page scrolling. hehe
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #1,086 of 3,787
So after all, deep down inside, you were secretly jealous of the JH16's?  The speculation was right!

Kidding of course, I don't really care.  Enjoy what you like.  I'm glad you found a different way to listen to your 13's.  We're all in this for the same reason - the love of audio gear and music.

May 30, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #1,088 of 3,787

Quote:
Well, I never thought this day would come. But my JH13 Pro's are up for sale and now I'm about to purchase a pair of JH16 Pro's...
ph34r.gif

I dunno man.  Although I haven't heard them ever, and don't plan on it, the 13's are definitely the sweet spot.  That is based purely on speculation.  The 16's are bass heavy!  The 13's are for audiophiles. You're not going to be on stage are you?  If not, keep the 13's.   
wink_face.gif

PS...you love attention.

May 30, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #1,089 of 3,787

Quote:
Well, I never thought this day would come. But my JH13 Pro's are up for sale and now I'm about to purchase a pair of JH16 Pro's...
ph34r.gif

thank God!! please refrain yourself from saying anything about this stupid debation until your jh16 arrives.

May 30, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #1,090 of 3,787
lol I never said that man. Your not upsetting me, unlike someother ppl find you annoying. Im just trying to help you understand what Jerry meant by "headroom", 13vs16. I never said they would make themselves known. I just said the "head room" is to make it so there is no distortion. one dual sub driver may distort when a signal comes in TOO HOT and clip. Where as the two dual sub drivers together wouldnt, as they now split the "load" placed upon them instead of one dual driver taking the entire load. Again, this is in theory, as ive never heard either 13 or 16 and  are waiting for my 16s to be at an in the lab status. This is how it works w/ subwoofers. Same theory in car audio/home audio/theater audio/concert audio. But and IEM driver is super small compared to an actual sub in my car/home/theater/concert, so they could essentially clip, even though they are made super well. Think of a car (I know this may be a weird example). Compare a car w/ one wheel driver versus a car w/ two wheel drive. A one wheel driver car takes all the power from the engine and pushes or pulls the car, all just on one wheel. Now picture a two wheel drive car and imagine how much easier it is for the car to move now that it has two points of contact on the road. Yes I know weird example compared to IEMs

LOL im sure I am confusing at this point. I typed what I had to say, and then added more stuff and it may be confusing to some.
Quote:

So what you're saying is in a live event the extra dual subwoofers would make themselves noticed while on a normal recording the JH13 Pro with a 2db boost in the 50hz-60hz is essentially the same thing as the JH16 Pro?

May 30, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #1,092 of 3,787
Quote:
I'm just here to prevent the misconception that the JH13 is bass light.

Ok, now I get it. So maybe this is where things get a little annoying for some of us, the fact you repeat that over and over again. But truly, I don't think there's such a danger. I don't think people will think JH13's are bass light. There are enough people who have stated otherwise. And for sure I don't think it helps to keep repeating that JH13's are the really neutral ones and the JH16 the bass-heavy ones. Really, I don't think you're making JH a favour by fighting this crusade.

People who actually own JH16's are stating the amount of bass they have. Those who own both too are posting what their experience is. And they each use that one post to state it. Yes, some people who haven't heard both are posting their impressions of the two. And in these posts, JH13's might not come out as you feel they deserve. But you can't reply to ALL of them the same way, dude. You're entitled to your opinion like they are. And they got a right to post about stuff they haven't heard. As you do. Just as long as it's done with moderation.

That's what the world is like to me: a lot of people talking about what they think the world is like, even if they have no direct experience of most of the stuff they talk about. And the stuff they have experienced, it can only be a personal and biased opinion, often different from ours. So live and let live, I say.

Sorry for the length, but I do believe in Sonic's good faith and the fact we're all here because we love the same stuff!! So let there be love!

Peace out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back