JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 29, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #1,066 of 3,787

Quote:
Hey Sonic, thanks for the info, I might as well go for 13 Pro then especially given the special deal mentioned in another thread. 

FYI. This deal was only for 4 hours on a single day....so, you would pay full price now, I think. Still, they are worth the full price...

May 29, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #1,067 of 3,787

Quote:
FWIW I know Jerry has mixed with most of his collection but I only find the JH13s (between the 13s and 16s) to be acceptable for my personal mixing. Tracks I've mixed using the JH16s sound pretty funky when I play them back with almost any other monitors or headphones.

What you mean "pretty funky"? This is just about proving how much the JH16's " wasn't " meant for the consumer really. It is for live performances where the mix is not as controlled. The dynamic range and transient peaks are much more dramatic live. For example, in a live setting, an artist may want to hear a full mix plus a kick drum with a large 50hz boost (more than you would ever hear on a recording) and at a much louder volume than most people would listen. The earpiece needs to have more headroom and capacity so as not to distort at that volume level. The JH13 Pro is the consumer audiophile earpiece. Even Jerry said so.

May 29, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #1,069 of 3,787

Quote:
What you mean "pretty funky"? This is just about proving how much the JH16's " wasn't " meant for the consumer really.  The JH13 Pro is the consumer audiophile earpiece. Even Jerry said so.

Sorry Sonic, but why ask 3XO a question about a quote he made and then not wait for him to give the answer and just follow immediately up with an assumption to his quote and then use the constant recital of Jerry's gospel?

X30 is only going by his personal experience with the 16's  which is what other members who might be or already have the 16's might find useful/intriguing maybe.

Have to disagree the 16's are not confined to just stage use as Jerry would have you believe even though i am very familiarized with his explanation to try and define the difference between the 13 & 16 to help people who have heard neither or one but not the other....

At the end of the day he wants these to sell just as much with the 16's to the Audiophile consumer as much as the stage artist, bottom line, he has to feed mouths. 

Just because it has a slightly different flavour and less neutrality than the 13's does not mean audiophiles will not like it and not choose it.

Having heard the demo 13 & 16's and now have received my choice in the 16's can safely say these are just as much for audiophile use as much as the 13's are and feel my choice was justified to have that extra headroom as much as the 13's are more neutral the 16's sig is slightly different but the extra headroom is not like you get on your sub $300 universal iem's, it is done with such realism, clarity and definition that it reminds me more how it is to actually be at a live gig when the sound engineers get it right on the night.

If i remember rightly Jude said his preference was usually for the more neutral stance in the 13's which is what i usually go for myself and he said (do not know if this is the case now?) at the time of him reviewing the 16's he was preferring them and after two days into the four of my long loan with the demo 13' & 16's (& ue18's) once i got the 16's in the right place in the ear on the third day it really took me by surprise and it really blew me away at how well Jerry has managed to engineer this extra sub bass depth without upsetting the balance of the overall sound and at the same time the bass sounding natural in it's reproduction. That is what edged it for me to get the 16's.

Because i have the 16's now does not make me a 16 fanboy all of the sudden as i would ideally love to own the 13's still as well if i had the money and for all what i hear about UE poor customer service i was just as impressed with the UE18 sig and would love to own them as well, but at least i can say this from hindsight that i have listened to all three Sonic. ; )

All i am saying it is horses for courses and people should decide for themselves what best suits them without having to resort to using quotes from Jude or Jerry's biblical verse to ram a point home to other people.

Give the 16's a try Sonic, you just might surprise yourself and prefer them to the 13's!! lol

May 29, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #1,070 of 3,787

Quote:
FortisFlyer75 said:

Give the 16's a try Sonic, you just might surprise yourself and prefer them to the 13's!! lol

I won't, I want my speakers to not subtract or add from or to the music. All I want hear is the music, not the speakers.
smile.gif

May 29, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #1,072 of 3,787

Quote:

I won't, I want my speakers to not subtract or add from or to the music. All I want hear is the music, not the speakers.
smile.gif

So, instead of listening to the 16s yourself, you decide to just extrapolate from whatever others are saying? Why not just stop reading this thread since you've already reached a conclusion? Despite what you say, having spent so much time in a JH16 thread, AFTER buying your 13s, totally shows fanboism.. I have nothing against you, but it is getting kind of irritating.

I've demoed the JH13s before, they sound just as good. Maybe with EQ, they both can be made to sound like the other?

May 29, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #1,074 of 3,787
thats what i was asking,... since the bass is louder you'd undercompensate in the mix,.... i wanted to make sure that "tinny" came from a lack of bass in the mix rather than from something else which it could do. 

but having to over/undercompensate doesnt necessarily make it bad or not as good for mixing, it just changes the learning curve of your monitors. a decent mixer can mix on anything, its just a matter of how long it takes to learn your system. 

i gotta say, from the talk of the super clear highs as a mixer i would be more worried about first mixes coming out muddy..... an thoughts from those mixing on JH13's/16's?

May 29, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #1,075 of 3,787
oh sonic, u belong to the 13s thread. go take some economics lessons. different taste and preferences. no matter how hard u try, there will be people buying the 16s. everyone's ears is diff. one man's junk is another's treasure.

seriously, I'm starting to be under the impression you are getting jealous of those with 16s. having spent so much on your expensve equipment, maybe you should just drop the bomb on the 16s! or do you have the financial power to do so, which may very much explain your defense over 13s.

May 29, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #1,076 of 3,787

Quote:
oh sonic, u belong to the 13s thread. go take some economics lessons. different taste and preferences. no matter how hard u try, there will be people buying the 16s. everyone's ears is diff. one man's junk is another's treasure.

seriously, I'm starting to be under the impression you are getting jealous of those with 16s. having spent so much on your expensve equipment, maybe you should just drop the bomb on the 16s! or do you have the financial power to do so, which may very much explain your defense over 13s.

LOL!!!!!!!! I can buy a JH16 Pro right now. But I choose not to. I'm not spending $1,150 for more bass than I would want even if it was engineered marvelously into the sound without ruining things. The JH13 Pro to my ears doesn't lack in any frequency. The only downside I find of the JH13 Pro is that will reveal everything in your source. So out of an iPod or any other weak amp the JH16 is a better choice over the JH13 Pro. Out of high end dedicated sources. The JH13 Pro and JH16 Pro is a toss up.

May 29, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #1,077 of 3,787

Quote:
LOL!!!!!!!! I can buy a JH16 Pro right now. But I choose not to. I'm not spending $1,150 for more bass than I would want even if it was engineering marvelously into the sound without ruining things. The JH13 Pro to my ears doesn't lack in any frequency. The only downside I find of the JH13 Pro is that will reveal everything in your source. So out of an iPod or any other weak amp the JH16 is a better choice over the JH13 Pro. Out of high end dedicated sources. The JH13 Pro and JH16 Pro is a toss up.

Then why are you on the JH-16 thread?  This thread is about the JH-16, not your JH-13s.

May 30, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #1,079 of 3,787

Quote:
So if that's the case, if you own a item you cannot browse the thread of other items. You can only post in threads that are about the item you own.
rolleyes.gif

You can browse the thread of other items, you just don't need to praise about your JH-13 and "ultimate rig" multiple times on each page of the JH-16 Appreciation thread.

May 30, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #1,080 of 3,787

Quote:
You can browse the thread of other items, you just don't need to praise about your JH-13 and "ultimate rig" multiple times on each page of the JH-16 Appreciation thread.

You're mistaking my opinion for a praise.

But anyways, I couldn't possibly care about this any less. So let's just get back on topic please? Geez.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back