JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 29, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #1,051 of 3,787
Now after I got my 13 Pros I will add how the 18 Pro fits into the picture. Super-fied, do you think being an owner of 18 Pro, the 13 Pro would be a better choice, given that I am not a basshead (nevertheless the bass of 18 Pro is quite right for me, with a feeling of slight bump at mid bass but the tightest and deepest bass I have heard from any IEMs ), and I actually enjoyed er4p quite a lot. 

May 29, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #1,052 of 3,787

Quote:
Now after I got my 13 Pros I will add how the 18 Pro fits into the picture. Super-fied, do you think being an owner of 18 Pro, the 13 Pro would be a better choice, given that I am not a basshead (nevertheless the bass of 18 Pro is quite right for me, with a feeling of slight bump at mid bass but the tightest and deepest bass I have heard from any IEMs ), and I actually enjoyed er4p quite a lot. 

You won't go wrong with the 13s, that's for sure.  The point for me in purchasing the 18s when I had my 13s was trying to obtain two very different sound signatures for me- One that was more colored-the 18s and one  that was relatively neutral-the 13s.

Coming from a UE-18, you will naturally tend to feel that the 13s will somewhat be "underwhelming" in response initially. But like I said, once you amp it up adequately, the 13s will begin to show why it's so outstanding in performing across all genres of music.

But this is afterall a JH 16 thread, so let's keep the discussion on the 13s in the 13s appreciation thread.

May 29, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #1,053 of 3,787

Quote:
I usually quote specific messages before I comment on them, but I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment.

Regarding the JH16 Pro being the new king of IEMs: I don't think that's accurate. I think for those given the opportunity to hear demo units of both prior to ordering, it wouldn't surprise me if those orders were split down the middle. Some people like more neutral, some people like more bassy. The JH13 Pro is a bit more than neutral in the bass (and generally neutral through the rest). And the JH16 Pro is even more above neutral in the bass than the JH13 Pro, and similar (generally neutral) through the rest. Again, I could be wrong, but I think as more impressions shake out from others, and as some people get to hear demo units of both, there will likely be a relatively even split on orders between these two models over the long run (again, of course, I could be wrong, and only time will tell).

Regarding the UE18 Pro versus the JH16 Pro: UE18 Pro sounds bloomier through the mids than either the JH13 or JH16. The JH16 Pro has a bigger bass bump than the UE18 Pro I've got. Both the JH13 and JH16 are more neutral overall above 100 Hz. Both the JH13 and JH16 have shimmerier treble at the higher end of whatever my ears' limits are. The UE18, overall, tends towards the sweeter, somewhat more mid-forward, presentation than either the JH13 or JH16. Both the JH16 and JH13 have a more revealing, more reference-type sound. The UE18 Pro is really its own flavor, and the JH16 and JH13 are different flavors of the same reference-type presentation.

Regarding the JH11 Pro: I haven't heard that one, so I apologize I can't comment on that one specifically.

Regarding balanced operation, the Shadow and the Predator: I haven't used any of my IEMs balanced out of the Protector yet (I still haven't ordered my cables). I haven't used the JH16 Pro with the Shadow or the Predator yet.

Regarding people happy they chose the JH13 Pro or the JH16 Pro (take your pick): Not surprising (either way). I feel fortunate to have both now, but I could gladly live with either (if, say, I had to hypothetically send one of them away forever).

Regarding how much more over neutral in the bass than the HD800 the JH16 Pro is (if you're willing to accept that the HD800 is generally quite neutral through the bass, which I am): Without measuring it, I'd really rather not guess at numbers, but I think it's safe to say the JH16 Pro is at least a handful of decibels higher than the HD800 centered at 50Hz.

Never did see this post, nice clarification. Pretty much what I was trying to say the whole time.
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #1,055 of 3,787
Now Jude's comments confuse me - if I have UE18 Pro and want something neutral to be different, should I get 13 Pro or 16 Pro? Super fied, could you enlighten me if I want something really different from my 18 Pro, which one should I get? If I feel that 18 Pro's bass is just right, would I be disappointed by 13 Pro's bass? I have a Hifiman 801 as source and RSA Black Bird for amp.

May 29, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #1,056 of 3,787
Quote:
Now Jude's comments confuse me - if I have UE18 Pro and wants something neutral to be different, should I get 13 Pro or 16 Pro? Super fied, could you enlighten me if I want something really different from my 18 Pro, which one should I get? If I feel that 18 Pro's bass is just right, would I be disappointed by 13 Pro's bass? I have a Hifiman 801 as source and RSA Black Bird for amp.

The 13's are the most neutral out of the the top custom IEM's ( JH13, JH16 and UE18 ). But the bass on the JH13 Pro is slightly above neutral. The JH13 Pro has more of a sub-bass hump instead of mid-bass like the UE18. So you may not find the JH13 Pro to be lacking bass since the JH13 Pro has more sub-bass emphasis than the UE18.

May 29, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #1,057 of 3,787

Quote:
mine shipped fri.

damn i gotta wait thru the holiday weekend ... at the very least ... such a f'n bummer. when did you get in the lab? if mine get shipped it wont be till tuesday @ the earliest. i hope they get out before canjam and that they dont announce something else ...

ITL on a friday morning, before a holiday weekend, before a meetup ... such amazing timing!!! im happy for chaz_flhr ... i knew it would be a day late and a $ short. looking good down there xand!

May 29, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #1,058 of 3,787

Hey Sonic, thanks for the info, I might as well go for 13 Pro then especially given the special deal mentioned in another thread. By the way, you also own Hifiman 801, may I know where did you get your 96/24 songs from? I don't believe in upsampled tracks, so I went online and bought some raw 96/24 music from sites such as HD tracks. But I found out that almost all the 96/24 music they have are either classical or Jazz. I flipped pages and pages and was only able to find Diana Krall's Quiet Night in 96/24 to my liking. Any sites selling 96/24 pop songs? 

Quote:
Quote:

The 13's are the most neutral out of the the top custom IEM's ( JH13, JH16 and UE18 ). But the bass on the JH13 Pro is slightly above neutral. The JH13 Pro has more of a sub-bass hump instead of mid-bass like the UE18. So you may not find the JH13 Pro to be lacking bass since the JH13 Pro has more sub-bass emphasis than the UE18.

May 29, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #1,059 of 3,787

Quote:
Hey Sonic, thanks for the info, I might as well go for 13 Pro then especially given the special deal mentioned in another thread. By the way, you also own Hifiman 801, may I know where did you get your 96/24 songs from? I don't believe in upsampled tracks, so I went online and bought some raw 96/24 music from sites such as HD tracks. But I found out that almost all the 96/24 music they have are either classical or Jazz. I flipped pages and pages and was only able to find Diana Krall's Quiet Night in 96/24 to my liking. Any sites selling 96/24 pop songs? 

Don't know of any sites selling pop songs in 96/24. Also, yes I get my 96/24 FLAC files from HDTracks.

May 29, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #1,060 of 3,787

Just wondering if there is any machine out there which allows ripping SACD into 96/24. I haven't tried but I guess our Hifiman can't play 192/24?

Quote:

Don't know of any sites selling pop songs in 96/24. Also, yes I get my 96/24 FLAC files from HDTracks.

May 29, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #1,065 of 3,787

Quote:
Now Jude's comments confuse me - if I have UE18 Pro and want something neutral to be different, should I get 13 Pro or 16 Pro? Super fied, could you enlighten me if I want something really different from my 18 Pro, which one should I get? If I feel that 18 Pro's bass is just right, would I be disappointed by 13 Pro's bass? I have a Hifiman 801 as source and RSA Black Bird for amp.

FWIW I know Jerry has mixed with most of his collection but I only find the JH13s (between the 13s and 16s) to be acceptable for my personal mixing. Tracks I've mixed using the JH16s sound pretty funky when I play them back with almost any other monitors or headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back