JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 30, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #1,127 of 3,787

Quote:
Where did you get that cover for your hifiman?

It's custom made, the back has an entire velcro, so i can detach or attach external amps depending on my mood.Got no problems just dumping it in the bag instead of taking it and out of the supplied velvet pouch.

Like I said, pico slim for 13s, protector for 16s.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #1,130 of 3,787
I have this doubt, the jh16 are super sensitive with only 18 ohms , so it won't need a powerful amp and something like pico slim or another portable is more than enough to use with desktop dac right ?

And btw, for those who already got the slim, how does it sound with it ?

May 30, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #1,131 of 3,787

Quote:
@Dalian  Your upgrade path sure is a very sweet setup for me!
smile_phones.gif
 I really see no need to upgrade the portable rig for a really long time,.And yes, I do carry a small sling bag to carry it around. (Works really wonderful for me)

@Fortis It won't be a most probably, it will be a must get for the protector and TWag cable lol! 

Duly noted Super_fied!

Only said maybe as whilst i recover over the next two months so i can regen my finance for the twag and amp i was intrigued by the Pico Slim maybe, but i get the impression that it would not be able to bring the benefits that the protector would with it's balanced configuration?

I have been listening to my 16's on my Arcam FMJ cd player through my Naim Headline amp and now makes my sony X Walkman even when through the line out through my Naim amp seem a step down as if it is missing something, so need a good porta amp very soon for sure!

Your artwork has been executed perfectly Suoer_fied, that is smoking!

Unfortunately and ironically my 16's might not end up going back for fit issues, but for the artworkwhich has had a slight misinterpretation on one side to the original mock up that was done so will need to be rectified. : (

It's not a huge gaff, but when this sort of money has been sunk into it you want it to be just right, which i am sure Zac will rectify no problem, just going to be a killer sending this F1 of iem's back without a standby of this quality to listen to!

May 30, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #1,132 of 3,787

Quote:
@Dalian  Your upgrade path sure is a very sweet setup for me!
smile_phones.gif
 I really see no need to upgrade the portable rig for a really long time,.And yes, I do carry a small sling bag to carry it around. (Works really wonderful for me)

@Fortis It won't be a most probably, it will be a must get for the protector and TWag cable lol! 

That is a great artwork and a neat overall setup.  The artwork puts both of mine to shame, perhaps a white heatshrink on the TWags may fit in even better.

It's a bit funny to see the Protector piggybacked on top of the HFM-801.  I have yet to hear the HFM, hopefully, I'll have an opportunity to do so at Can Jam.  I guess even the GAME amp module is no match to the Protector if you went thru the expense of buying it separately turing the HFM into a really expensive portable DAP/DAC combo.  I like the cases as well, especially the HFM.  I would be concerned a bit about the exposed faceplate of the Protector getting possibly scratched or worse, but don't listen to me, I'm a neat freak...
wink_face.gif

May 30, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #1,134 of 3,787

Quote:
I have this doubt, the jh16 are super sensitive with only 18 ohms , so it won't need a powerful amp and something like pico slim or another portable is more than enough to use with desktop dac right ?

And is there any portable amp that is sounding on level with top amps like Beta 22 or leben CX300? If yes that will be great. I heard my Jh13 only on great home amps, from portable I heard only Ibassso D10, so I will be happy to see some opinion on this.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 30, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #1,135 of 3,787
i have hear the 13s now on the pico regular, the Hornet M, and Lisa lll.  Although the Lisa is not supposed to be for iems, it is by far the winner, hands down.  Can't wait to hear the Protector though.

May 30, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #1,137 of 3,787

Quote:

I have been listening to my 16's on my Arcam FMJ cd player through my Naim Headline amp and now makes my sony X Walkman even when through the line out through my Naim amp seem a step down as if it is missing something, so need a good porta amp very soon for sure!

Just curious, didn't you just listen to the demos like 2 weeks ago and then decided to order recently?  How did you get your 16s already?

May 30, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #1,139 of 3,787
Man, I was really sick yesterday, could only reply dallan's pm....

Quote:
Duly noted Super_fied!

Only said maybe as whilst i recover over the next two months so i can regen my finance for the twag and amp i was intrigued by the Pico Slim maybe, but i get the impression that it would not be able to bring the benefits that the protector would with it's balanced configuration?

Your artwork has been executed perfectly Suoer_fied, that is smoking!

Unfortunately and ironically my 16's might not end up going back for fit issues, but for the artworkwhich has had a slight misinterpretation on one side to the original mock up that was done so will need to be rectified. : (

It's not a huge gaff, but when this sort of money has been sunk into it you want it to be just right, which i am sure Zac will rectify no problem, just going to be a killer sending this F1 of iem's back without a standby of this quality to listen to!

Fortis, you are such a sneaky little fella lol,I'm just as surprised that you didn't announce that you had the 16s already in, No wonder you were so quiet the past few days. Too busy enjoying them eh?Congratulations by the way!

I am sending my one side of my 16s back as well after Can Jam-fit is perfect, but only because I have a *minor* imperfection on one of my artwork.Artwork was perfectly executed however so it may seem like a small issue, which it is, but I'm a sucker for perfection.But  Zac and Jamie are wonderful as usual and have absolutely no issues with me sending it back as well. So I perfectly understand where you are coming from,-when you're shelling  out quite a bit for it-everything has to go well.
smile_phones.gif

I'll recommend the protector still for the 16s. Just makes my music sound a lot more "beefier" in nature. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I didn't quite favor the pico slim with the 16s so that amp is going to be paired with my 13s. Just look at warp08 and myself, really enjoying the protector-TWagged 16s combo!

And yes despite what people say about custom iems being easy to drive, from my own personal experience, they really do scale up with the sort of set up one uses. So your experience with your cdp and naim setup vs that of the Sony X series is one great example.

Quote:

That is a great artwork and a neat overall setup.  The artwork puts both of mine to shame, perhaps a white heatshrink on the TWags may fit in even better.

It's a bit funny to see the Protector piggybacked on top of the HFM-801.  I have yet to hear the HFM, hopefully, I'll have an opportunity to do so at Can Jam.  I guess even the GAME amp module is no match to the Protector if you went thru the expense of buying it separately turing the HFM into a really expensive portable DAP/DAC combo.  I like the cases as well, especially the HFM.  I would be concerned a bit about the exposed faceplate of the Protector getting possibly scratched or worse, but don't listen to me, I'm a neat freak...
wink_face.gif

Hey warp08, thanks for the compliment especially coming from you. I really liked your Starwars artwork as well and Zac did a fantastic job on it!

I do have a TWag which has white heatshrinks, but that is staying put on my 13s because of the miniplug. The other TWag which is on the 16s is the balanced one, that was initially meant to be used with my UE-18s...but well you guys know the story.

The GAME amp offers a very different flavor from the protector. While offering a lot more detail and control over my music, making it a lot more analytical, it does make my customs sound a little bass light in nature.  I had the protector before the hifiman so I thought why not try the combo and I was really wowed by it.

The custom case does make it a lot more easier because I can simply just choose to go ampless externally if I felt like it. And yes, the initially supplied amplifier isn't lacking in any way at all.  Quite a number of people are actually using this combo I'm currently using, like our dear Sonic 748i (Daniel) as well.

I had the fortune of trying the hifiman at my dealer before I bought it and I really liked what I heard to justify the purchase. The size isn't an issue for me because I like carrying a bag around rather than stuffing my customs and player in my pocket. So be sure to try it at Can Jam! You may be pleasantly surprised!

I know where you're coming from on the exposed part for the protector....that was an old part which I reused from my Hippo ampsack... I didn't bother to customize that as I thought it was fine as it was. Besides the protector has a very different casing from my pico and seems to be a lot more scratch resistant, so that didn't affect me at all.

Quote:
Just curious, didn't you just listen to the demos like 2 weeks ago and then decided to order recently?  How did you get your 16s already?

nellie, I had the same initial reaction as you, but I figured fortis already had his impressions and money with JHA. It was just a matter of emailing them and telling them which one he wanted! All is good of course hehe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back